Prayut and military may have misjudged US reaction

webfact

Seems to me the USA is saying it is time to set an election date.

The present U.S. administration has no credibility it can spare for the situation in Thailand. Too many others around the world already openly thumbing their noses at it. Whatever challenges the present military government in Thailand faces, they certainly need not waste any concern over what the U.S. (translation: Obama) might have to say about it.

Certainly as lot of fuss here, over no credibility...

Not so unusual, is it? 'Doesn't amount to anything more than the usual blather.

Ooooooo. Obama might draw another one of his red lines. Ooooooo. U.S. Embassy personnel probably have the most to worry about. Lol. And I doubt they're missing many meals.

Edited by hawker9000

I'd say the US has quite a lot to be concerned with before Thailand. IMO they are making the right noises. Would be a catastrophe for Thailand if they throw their hat into the ring with China

Nope, no problem sucking up to China... Thais love those delicious Chinese apples and the cheap crap available in those snazzy Indochina markets.

Funny stuff. I have said it before, and I will say it again. Thailand has time and

time again proven itself to be a bit of a backstabbing ally for America, so at this

point I feel America has little interest in Thailand, and in the future it will play

no part in America's " strategy" in South East Asia. This reality is just beginning

to dawn on Thailand's " leadership". Thailand has slowly shifted to China's

corner which is not endearing itself to America either. My guess is we will see

a policy shift of America towards Vietnam, who hate the Chinese. First tip off

will be when America builds a naval base in Vietnam......

As Vietnam is a Communist state, wouldn't the US have to conquer them first?

And bring them American-style Democracy.

That didn't go too well last time they tried.

The US has made a commitment to move back into Subic Bay and Clark Air force base giving a huge boost to the Phil's economy, and getting a strategic location. It also has Diego Garcia and it has 11 Nimitz-class carrier groups for coverage. LINK

I don't see the US going to a communist country.

You forgot to include Guam...... an outright US possession.

It is like Turtle talking bath in the warm water, when the relationship was good, it feels warn and good. Now it is going be boiled and cooked! Thailand should soon sell the rice off, before economic sanctions knocking the doors. Thailand is basically depends on Agricultural products export, it will be a disaster if US sanctions. This was anticipated, actually US miscalculated that election will be announced in a year, so it is a year over, and there is not good situation turned for elections, and the present unelected parliament try to dismantle the political parties. So, it is will be verbal pressure first to announce elections, or they sanction in few months. I think Obama administration have a clear path, before China recognizes the present coup government as authority to Thailand.

Funny stuff. I have said it before, and I will say it again. Thailand has time and

time again proven itself to be a bit of a backstabbing ally for America, so at this

point I feel America has little interest in Thailand, and in the future it will play

no part in America's " strategy" in South East Asia. This reality is just beginning

to dawn on Thailand's " leadership". Thailand has slowly shifted to China's

corner which is not endearing itself to America either. My guess is we will see

a policy shift of America towards Vietnam, who hate the Chinese. First tip off

will be when America builds a naval base in Vietnam......

As Vietnam is a Communist state, wouldn't the US have to conquer them first?

And bring them American-style Democracy.

That didn't go too well last time they tried.

The US has made a commitment to move back into Subic Bay and Clark Air force base giving a huge boost to the Phil's economy, and getting a strategic location. It also has Diego Garcia and it has 11 Nimitz-class carrier groups for coverage. LINK

A massive boost for the Philippines - and they need it both economical and to stop others bullying them.

Doesn't the US Navy now enjoy docking facilities and niceties in Vietnam? Good move on Vietnam's part for the same reasons as Philly. And, the Americans are showing they can work with and help former adversaries. Hasn't America provided VN with assistance?

Japan and Germany would be nothing today without the American aid they received after WW2. How did the countries the communists 'aid" fair in comparrison?

Yes, least we forget the Marshall plan. Mostly forgotten US policy that helped to prop up a war frazzled continent.

I don't think there is anything to sense, it has been stated over and over again by Jen Psaki here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/statements.html

The curious thing is that from what I can tell nothing has really changed at all between the change in the governments. Only the flow of money from the very top has been diverted.

I would really like to know why foreigners support either of the political factions, because doing so is the equivelent of liking a football club. It is meaningless, besides for sport and loyalty. I'm polite to both sides, and whenever Thai people try to drag me into a political debate, I just politely ask them "Has anything really changed in your life?" and the answer is always is "no." So, if the U.S. knew diplomacy, they would do likewise.

Unless something has actually changed for them. If so, what has changed between U.S. Thai relations that can be observed or measured in terms of trade?

You are absolutely right . . at the moment. However, if this goes on for a prolonged period or the Junta "pick a fight" with the United States, then the economy is likely to suffer serious damage, affecting a large number of the population. The PM would be better just keeping quiet and sticking to his line.

• Like 2

A massive boost for the Philippines - and they need it both economical and to stop others bullying them.

Doesn't the US Navy now enjoy docking facilities and niceties in Vietnam? Good move on Vietnam's part for the same reasons as Philly. And, the Americans are showing they can work with and help former adversaries. Hasn't America provided VN with assistance?

Japan and Germany would be nothing today without the American aid they received after WW2. How did the countries the communists 'aid" fair in comparrison?

Yes, least we forget the Marshall plan. Mostly forgotten US policy that helped to prop up a war frazzled continent.

Well, while true, many would argue that it was self-serving. America knew it was going to need (not then yet being called that, but anticipated nonetheless...) Cold War allies in Europe and in Asia. One of the things in the foreign policy arena the U.S. has actually done right.

==========================

This is all a tempest in a teapot. Some chest-thumping thais are simply over-reacting to a toothless U.S. foreign policy "remark", but a remark the U.S. spent political capital it just doesn't have in making. The Obama administration has a bad habit of mouthing off, pretending to credibility & influence it lost a long long time ago, and this was no more than that. It'll blow over. It pretty much has to. Probably really has already.

I was on the fence about the Coup until they started cleaning up the taxi mafia.

(arrested the mayor of Karon etc)

Then when EIGHT top cops get arrested, one "top drug enforcement cop" being caught with 800,000 Yaba

pills (in back seat of car) to me, it was obvious that the Army had no choice but to step in, as the cops/politicians

were so corrupt. One top cop had BILLIONS of Baht stashed at his house!

Apparently Singapore had to do the same about 50 years ago.

I would like to hear from those that are against the Coup, about how else they could have dealt with the rampant corruption.

Cheers,

NS

Don't you remember the wonderful PTP campaign. Yingluck in yet another photo op in front of a big "no to corruption" sign? There were some bewildered lackeys in the photo too.

Must have worked because she later stated there was no corruption in "her" (hahahah) government. And also stated there was none in the rice scheme she brilliantly led.

And they did all that without even having to prosecute and convict one single person. Amazing.

You know, I've yet to read one person here, who actually defends Yingluck. And yet a million people who go on about her as if she's excuse for anything which happened after. Yeah, she sucked. The way to deal with that, would have been to vote for someone else the next cycle. There was no declaration of martial law at that time; elections had not been suspended. By trying to just impose a half-sided judgement in puling her out of office without a vote, they almost assured there would be strife. The way to bring attention to her ineptitude, and to find a more effective leader, would have been through media, through journalism, through encouraging free speech, education. This has been the exact opposite approach, and it is backfiring badly. And whether someone here wants to hate Obama at the same time, means nothing. A wise leader would encourage discussion at this time; not forbid.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1