The Duke's Pizza

Ulysses G.

Only problem with the Dukes was it was like eating cotton candy....maybe the new cheeze with help........

Nearer to us is Steve's Pizza & Pasta....they make a good pie and you have choices of crusts and sauces.... My standing favorite is a large or family (huge 28"?) New York style crust with Thai spicy sauce @ 5 topped with garlic - salami - pepperoni - crab - olives....good pie...you can go hotter on the sauce...I used to get 7 and the wait staff were surprised until one day I think the cook took the 7 for a 9... like eating lava....now I get the 5 and add if more zapzap wanted....the crust surround is nice and thick....if I can keep the family from kyping it I'll slice it and butter it like bread.....

Edited by pgrahmm

How is "By Hand Pizza Cafe" on Mnmng Soi 7?

Good. My second favorite after the Duke's.

Heard secondhand reports that the wait times can be quite long (up to an hour) for a pizza because they only have one small oven. Have you experienced any problems with that?

By Hand Pizza Cafe got three pizza facts right

24hour fermented sauerdough

wood fired oven...their just build a bigger one so i guess less waiting

On farm( in the chiangmai hills) made cheese ,made the traditional way not some industrial Macro cheese

I really liked Duke's pizza at the original location. My son prefers to take his Thai pal's to Mad Dog for pizza, claims it's some of the best pizza in town, but I think he takes them there more for the entertainment value of watching old Farang geezers. Sort of like hanging out at a Walmart after midnight for free entertainment.

I really liked Duke's pizza at the original location. My son prefers to take his Thai pal's to Mad Dog for pizza, claims it's some of the best pizza in town, but I think he takes them there more for the entertainment value of watching old Farang geezers. Sort of like hanging out at a Walmart after midnight for free entertainment.

The thing about Mad Dog is that it appears that those old farang geezers have already died long ago, and are being propped up to sit at the bar in the same spot day after day completely expressionless with a glass of beer in front of them. That combined with the stench of cigarette smoke that hits you in the face as you walk by is the reason I've never stepped foot in there and probably never will.

New York hands down..

attachicon.gif20130301_111817.jpg

Best pizza I ever had was in Genoa, Italy. Dukes is generally really good, though the last one we had there (original rest') wasn't quite up to par.

Interesting. The worst pizza I ever had was in Italy, around 1987. I probably bought it from some sort of tourist trap place.

The pizzas we see today are an Americanization of something similar that was brought over to the States by Italian immigrants, that actually originated in the middle east. The same as Chow Mein, an American manipulation of what is suppose to be authentic Chinese food.

I very much doubt that modern day pizzas are anything like or as good as the original versions from times past.

New York hands down..

Best pizza I ever had was in Genoa, Italy. Dukes is generally really good, though the last one we had there (original rest') wasn't quite up to par.

Interesting. The worst pizza I ever had was in Italy, around 1987. I probably bought it from some sort of tourist trap place.

The pizzas we see today are an Americanization of something similar that was brought over to the States by Italian immigrants, that actually originated in the middle east. The same as Chow Mein, an American manipulation of what is suppose to be authentic Chinese food.

I very much doubt that modern day pizzas are anything like or as good as the original versions from times past.

So you think pizza is puke on a pastry so EVEN the puke was better in the good old days? Same as Chau Mein which simply means fried noodles so what is inauthentic about chau mein(g) ?

Will have to try Hand made pizza, haven't gotten around to it yet....

So you think pizza is puke on a pastry so EVEN the puke was better in the good old days? Same as Chau Mein which simply means fried noodles so what is inauthentic about chau mein(g) ?

Will have to try Hand made pizza, haven't gotten around to it yet....

Going back to the Jurassic period in Chiang Mai, there was an arcade by the moat not far from John`s Place. I can remember the Wild Orchid bar in there. Also in the Arcade was a pizza bar, sold drinks and they hand made all their pizzas. A massive home made pizza that filled a huge dinner plate for 100 baht. They were beautiful, never tasted pizzas so good before or since. All long gone now of course Does anyone else remember that place? Also not far from there was the Smiling Monkey restaurant, they too made wonderful pizzas. That`s now gone as well.

Now days all the rest are standard mass produced pizzas, try one, you`ve tried them all.

• Like 1

No disrespect intended, but you already said that you "hate pizza" and that they "taste like "puke". Are any pizzas lovers going to pay attention to your other views on pizza after that comment?

If anything, modern pizza is probably better than the olden days as there are so many different varieties all over the world and pizza was very basic back in the very olden days. Sure there are "standard mass produced pizzas" out there, but there are also plenty of amazing, artisan style pies in America, Australia and Italy, just for starters. Unfortunately, Thailand has not caught up yet. sad.png

The first pizza house in Australia was Toto's which opened in 1961. I don't know how it stacks up against today's pizzas but at the time it was exotic and like manna from heaven. It couldn't have been too bad as it is still going.

The original owner, Toto himself, was last heard of selling pizzas in Saigon.

UG you're right, you can't beat a good pizza thread.

No disrespect intended, but you already said that you "hate pizza" and that they "taste like "puke". Are any pizzas lovers going to pay attention to your other views on pizza after that comment?

If anything, modern pizza is probably better than the olden days as there are so many different varieties all over the world and pizza was very basic back in the very olden days. Sure there are "standard mass produced pizzas" out there, but there are also plenty of amazing, artisan style pies in America, Australia and Italy, just for starters. Unfortunately, Thailand has not caught up yet. sad.png

The first pizza house in Australia was Toto's which opened in 1961. I don't know how it stacks up against today's pizzas but at the time it was exotic and like manna from heaven. It couldn't have been too bad as it is still going.

The original owner, Toto himself, was last heard of selling pizzas in Saigon.

UG you're right, you can't beat a good pizza thread.

Post # 37 bottom photo is at Totos in Lygon st last year. Still sensational. Best I've ever had.

New York hands down..

Yawn. Back to teak door please.

• Like 2

For those around Nimmen there is a (new?) place doing pizza on Nimmen itself. I think it is called "Move Upstairs" and indeed you do have to go up a flight of stairs. It's directly across the street from the Lotus Tesco. 200 baht for the pizza salami and it was pretty good. Crust was a bit doughy for my taste but still I will be going back.

They bars upstairs there were doing brisk business tonight (Friday night) but the restaurant itself was a bit quiet.

My biggest problem with Dukes is I can never order the pizza since I am always tempted by other stuff on the menu. Years ago I tried to pizza and it was massive. It could serve maybe four people. Has that changed?

That's the BEST part... They wrap the leftover if you just say klap baan dai mai?... :-)

Absolutely agree. More and better cheese than any other pizza I've had in CM.

Which store?

I've eaten on premises at the Night Bazaar location and also had it delivered by Meals on Wheels.

Not sure which location provides the pizzas for the delivery service but I don't think it's the Night Bazaar location because you can order S/M/L sizes through the delivery service and each time I've been on-site at Night Bazaar Duke's I seem to recall that there is only one pizza size available there.

• Like 1

For those around Nimmen there is a (new?) place doing pizza on Nimmen itself. I think it is called "Move Upstairs" and indeed you do have to go up a flight of stairs. It's directly across the street from the Lotus Tesco. 200 baht for the pizza salami and it was pretty good. Crust was a bit doughy for my taste but still I will be going back.

They bars upstairs there were doing brisk business tonight (Friday night) but the restaurant itself was a bit quiet.

Rustica near the powerhouse gym used to be fantastic when i lived around there years ago. Is he still there?