The Duke's Pizza

Ulysses G.

Out of interest, why do Americans call it "pie"?

It's a baked flat bread.

A pie usually has sides and a top as well.

about half of pies have a top. Pumpkin, Key Lime, Lemon Meringue don't for example. Modern pizza originated in Italy as Neapolitan pie with tomato. In 1889, cheese was added.

Why do the Brits refer to everything as "bloody," is it really bleeding?

I don't bloody know.

Absolutely agree. More and better cheese than any other pizza I've had in CM.

Which store?

I've eaten on premises at the Night Bazaar location and also had it delivered by Meals on Wheels.

Not sure which location provides the pizzas for the delivery service but I don't think it's the Night Bazaar location because you can order S/M/L sizes through the delivery service and each time I've been on-site at Night Bazaar Duke's I seem to recall that there is only one pizza size available there.

The night Bazaar has a small oven and that is all they can cook. Had one last night at the river location. Was not that impressed with the cheese. Have defiantly had better there before.

We went yesterday after playing ball..... I had Duke burger...wife had ribs....daughter had kids hot dog plus ordered a pep pizza + garlic - didn't really see or taste any difference in the pizza...then finished off with their cupcakes....brought a lot home and that will take care of our Dukes fix for awhile....River location and all was great - as usual....adding garlic was 70b....surprised me.....wife audits the receipts and pointed it out....we parked by RimPing due to the new no parking hours on the signs - but no one else seemed to care....cars parked up and down the street...are they enforcing the parking there?

Edited by pgrahmm

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Out of interest, why do Americans call it "pie"?

It's a baked flat bread.

A pie usually has sides and a top as well.

The style of "Pizza " made famous in Chicago resembles a pie. Some versions even have crust on top. I have never eaten it in Chicago, but have tried Chicago style pizza in California, don't really care for it. When I am in Chicago I always eat at a Polish restaurant

There's a couple of places in SF and one in Berkeley that is supposed to be the best... but oddly the best Chicago style I got was from a take and bake called Papa Murphys....consistantly voted best pizza... .

I had a "small" pizza from The Duke's the other night. I ate all I could and took the rest home for breakfast and was full in the morning too. I have no complaint about quantity, quality or price for their pizzas.

How would you describe the prices at Dukes, ranging from inexpensive to pricy?

I had a "small" pizza from The Duke's the other night. I ate all I could and took the rest home for breakfast and was full in the morning too. I have no complaint about quantity, quality or price for their pizzas.

For pizza in Thailand I'd say fairly expensive.

For the quality I'd say well worth it.

Well priced for the size and quality.

• Like 1

Zachary's is the topped pie.....I think Blondie's and La CoCo's are both better, and do slices.

Here is Zachary's attachicon.gifzachary.jpg

That's the Chicago style I ate! Zachary's in Oakland or Berkeley, years ago

One on College Ave. in Oakland, and one on Solano Ave. in North Berkeley, that is either newer, or I had forgotten about it. Blondie's claims to be busiest slice place in SF at their Powell Street location.

Zachary's is the topped pie.....I think Blondie's and La CoCo's are both better, and do slices.

One on College Ave. in Oakland, and one on Solano Ave. in North Berkeley, that is either newer, or I had forgotten about it. Blondie's claims to be busiest slice place in SF at their Powell Street location.

Going to California soon. Thanks for the tips.

Daam: If you get to the East Coast try Frank Pepe's in New Haven!

funny, my post #78 is from a pizza place in New Haven, not sure which one, but she said it was well known.Daam: If you get to the East Coast try Frank Pepe's in New Haven!

I won't be on the east coast this time, only California, but thanks anyway.

Edited by DaamNaam

If you google pizza berkeley shattuck, you will find a write-up of several pizza places. I went last year to Cheeseboard and it was pretty good. I don't know if "Chez Panisse" upstairs is still doing pizza or not after their fire a couple of years ago. Anyway, lots of good places there.... Oops.. sorry, I guess I am off topic.

• Like 1

I don't eat Pizza very often, but when I do it's from Dukes and it's delicious so no need to trey anywhere else.

Sounds like you are, or could be, a very happily married man. I like to try new stuff.

As I said, I rarely eat Pizza, so I'm certainly not going to bother trying somewhere new when I know where I can get a good one. Dukes Pizza 4 times a year suffices.

Millbrae - on El Camino 15 min from SFO....Best pizza anywhere crust is like a combo sourdough pita bread....awesome...best I've had anywhere

• Like 1

Pretty good. Post the Dukes Pizza and you get people comparing it to what they consider top notch Pizza all over America.

I wonder if those places compare them selves to Dukes?clap2.gif

Haha. The Dukes is good, Dukes is great. We love the Dukes Pizza...and Ragu's pizza too.

Absolutely agree. More and better cheese than any other pizza I've had in CM.

Here we go again Dukes Fan brigade on the March again LOL Dave this Dave that damn you would think they are all in love with each other bah.gif

Edit: deleted, not worth the effort.

Well I'll say it....excellent pizza.....and I've no idea who Dave is.

• Like 2

We have only had pizza at the Dukes once in the past 3 years...probably about a year & a half ago...

It was at the river & was the pepperoni

Have not been back for it but do grab a burger there from time to time.

The pizza while ok was not what I like & we had a similar experience to what someone posted

on the 1st or 2nd page....being it was pretty soggy in the middle & toppings pretty much fell off.

For me a great pizza starts with a great crust. Should never be droopy

But having seen so many rave about it we will surely give it another try.

May have been a off night?

We do like both Ragu & Mama Mia's pizza's

If that is anything to go by ;)