The Duke's Pizza

Ulysses G.

No they have more of a fusion menu there. As far as sanitized goes that is part of the reason I go there. You can always throw it on the floor before you eat it.giggle.gif

You call it "fusion"... I call it "sanitized", or perhaps "westernised" is a better word.

I mean what is "fusion" about "Tom Yum Kung"?

I like Grandpa's Pizza much better and at a better price. Most people I know who have tried both agree.

Somewhat remote but worth the trip.

Thanks for the tip!

Although I'd never heard of this place, we swung by this evening for dinner, and.... I might just have to agree with you.

It's not really an easy comparison with The Duke's (which is selling a very representative version of the American interpretation of the humble pie...), but it's certainly a worthy addition to the local pizza scene, and we'll definitely be returning.

The owner/chef at Grandpa's is Hungarian, so you're not going to get the same "slathered with tomato sauce" approach that you find at most Italian (or American) establishments. On the other hand, the ingredients are fresh and plentiful, the crust is damned near perfect, and the preparation is top notch. This guy knows his way around a kitchen!

Not "better" than The Duke's necessarily, but a very welcome complement, and well worth a stop if any of you pizza aficionados find yourselves famished in that part of town!

No they have more of a fusion menu there. As far as sanitized goes that is part of the reason I go there. You can always throw it on the floor before you eat it.giggle.gif

You call it "fusion"... I call it "sanitized", or perhaps "westernised" is a better word.

Depends on your point of view. You could also call it Western food that has been Easternized. It is not for all people. My money says you have only tried about 4 of the products.

As for sanitized like I said you can always throw it on the floor if that is what you are looking to get away from.

Virginia Pizza: attachicon.gifbazzano (1).jpg

Apparently, Virginian "chefs" have inflicted upon the defenseless pizza what Arizonan "teachers" have inflicted upon the public school system.

This reminds me of the stuff churned out (by the square meter...) by the blue haired staff at my junior high school cafeteria every other Thursday on "Italian Day".

Otherwise known as "Why Don't We Skip Lunch Today" Day?. All that's missing are the puddles of minced "beef" grease and the crusty layer of garlic powder!

Beetlejuice.... you don't hail from Virginia, do you?

http://www.pizzabazzano.com/pages/menu.htm 48 years and still going strong. Do you think "Bazzano" might be just a little bit Italian. Third wealthiest county in the US...4 of the top 10 are in Virginia, along with two of the top five public universities. Too bad you didn't stay in school long enough to check out the high school pizza. Ironically, this pizza place is less than two miles from the frequently top rated high school in the US; Thomas Jefferson High School.

Edited by bangmai

Depends on your point of view. You could also call it Western food that has been Easternized. It is not for all people. My money says you have only tried about 4 of the products.

As for sanitized like I said you can always throw it on the floor if that is what you are looking to get away from.

Well actually the owner told me himself he built the place to do food that he and his mates like, because most Thai food was normally too spicy.

He's gone too far from the real thing if you ask me. Although the Pineapple fried rice is nice as a side dish.

But you know, don't let me spoil this argument by bringing facts into it or anything.

Doesn't seem to hurt his business, I was there a couple of weeks ago and every single table was occupied, bar the side room that had a wedding reception.

Edited by Chicog

My biggest problem with Dukes is I can never order the pizza since I am always tempted by other stuff on the menu. Years ago I tried to pizza and it was massive. It could serve maybe four people. Has that changed?

No. A 'small' pizza feeds 3 of us. Sometimes we order a chopped salad or a Cesar salad too, and then we are really stuffed.

• Like 1

I like Grandpa's Pizza much better and at a better price. Most people I know who have tried both agree.

Thanks for the tip!

Although I'd never heard of this place, we swung by this evening for dinner, and.... I might just have to agree with you.

It's not really an easy comparison with The Duke's (which is selling a very representative version of the American interpretation of the humble pie...), but it's certainly a worthy addition to the local pizza scene, and we'll definitely be returning.

The owner/chef at Grandpa's is Hungarian, so you're not going to get the same "slathered with tomato sauce" approach that you find at most Italian (or American) establishments. On the other hand, the ingredients are fresh and plentiful, the crust is damned near perfect, and the preparation is top notch. This guy knows his way around a kitchen!

Not "better" than The Duke's necessarily, but a very welcome complement, and well worth a stop if any of you pizza aficionados find yourselves famished in that part of town!

What part of town? Where is Grandpa's pizza?

I hate pizzas. They look, smell and taste like vomit thrown up in a pastry base.

Then why comment at all? Oh wait, you needed to get your negative post in for the day...

As far as Duke's, from a pizza lover it's the best I've had in CM...

• Like 2

We had Dukes pizza only once. Although it was tasty, I didn't like that the crust was so thin that even though we waited for it to cool down, each slice when taken fell apart and portion of the cheese wound up on the rack. It might have helped if it had been on a solid platter.

Thanks for the tip!

Check the facebook link. It is out in a Saraphi village. Haven't been there - but good to know there is something like that in Saraphi. Has to be the only Western food restaurant out there.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip!

Grandpa's is on a small soi in the Nong Phueng neighborhood, just west of the Old Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd (106) and a bit north of the intersection with the Outer Ring Rd (121).

Here: https://goo.gl/maps/KTtaE

There are two locations on that map identified as "Grandpas Pizza & Pasta Restaurant", because he recently relocated from one to the other. The current restaurant is at the easternmost of those two spots.

Not exactly a place that you're likely to stumble upon by accident, but worth the effort to track down!

Grandpa's is on a small soi in the Nong Phueng neighborhood, just west of the Old Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd (106) and a bit north of the intersection with the Outer Ring Rd (121).

Here: https://goo.gl/maps/KTtaE

There are two locations on that map identified as "Grandpas Pizza & Pasta Restaurant", because he recently relocated from one to the other. The current restaurant is at the easternmost of those two spots.

Not exactly a place that you're likely to stumble upon by accident, but worth the effort to track down!

Yep, going south turn right on the first soi about 100 meters past the LPG which is on the left, then follow the road and look for the (small) blue signs.

Not only do I prefer the pizza but get this: a medium, six-topping pizza that cost 590 at Duke's is 350 baht.

Want bleu cheese? No extra charge - at Duke's it's another 95 baht. Enjoy wine? No corkage fee. Bonus time!

But The Duke's ain't bad, either.

Thanks for the information about the Duke's pizzas and being able to order pizza from River Market.

Also, thank you for the information that Duke's may open at Maya around April.

Speaking of pizza, just yesterday, we tried pizza from a new place called “Croco Pizza”. It is located on the street behind Salsa Kitchen and Lemon Tree Huay Kaew. It's a small place with only 4 tables. We took our order “to go”. While waiting for our pizzas, we heard customers speaking French. Not surprising, the pizzas are European style – thin crust. We had the Pork Sausage and the Bolognese. Both were good, but I liked the Bolognese better. So now, if you are in this area of town, you have an option for pizza...(Note: This place has been opened for about a week. Hours posted: 12:00 - 14:00 and 17:00 – 22:00).

• Like 1

Thanks for the information about the Duke's pizzas and being able to order pizza from River Market.

Also, thank you for the information that Duke's may open at Maya around April.

Speaking of pizza, just yesterday, we tried pizza from a new place called Croco Pizza. It is located on the street behind Salsa Kitchen and Lemon Tree Huay Kaew. It's a small place with only 4 tables. We took our order to go. While waiting for our pizzas, we heard customers speaking French. Not surprising, the pizzas are European style thin crust. We had the Pork Sausage and the Bolognese. Both were good, but I liked the Bolognese better. So now, if you are in this area of town, you have an option for pizza...(Note: This place has been opened for about a week. Hours posted: 12:00 - 14:00 and 17:00 22:00).

That location sounds a bit "hidden" since I guess no one can see it from the main street. Good to know. I will check to out ASAP. I have been craving pizza lately : )

How is "By Hand Pizza Cafe" on Mnmng Soi 7?

Good. My second favorite after the Duke's.

Heard secondhand reports that the wait times can be quite long (up to an hour) for a pizza because they only have one small oven. Have you experienced any problems with that?

Yes, very nice people and good quality, but if there are more than a few customers, I keep on going and return a less busy day.

Yes I am a recent convert also. Equally good but for the price Grandpa wins. Location Dukes by a mile.