The Duke's Pizza

Ulysses G.

New York hands down..

attachicon.gif20130301_111817.jpg

To say that, you must have visited or lived there at some time in your life.

Duke's, by consensus, is the best in Chiang Mai, and it is good, but it's just that - good.

Little Italy, Brooklyn, and the Bronx are where the New York Italians make real pizza like nowhere else.

Brooklyn reigns supreme in all the neighbourhoods that haven't become combat zones. Hole-in-the-wall places on Court Street... Frank Sinatra's favorite under the elevated approaches to the Brooklyn Bridge. He used to have it delivered when he was staying at the Plaza. The delivery boys could always count on a C-Note as a tip.

That's pizza, baby.

Well I certainly enjoy the Pizza at Dukes ion the river. Night Bazzar has a small oven ad can not make any thing but the small one.

Have had pizza at several other places and Dukes was the best. By no means qualified to judge the best in Chiang Mai as I have not had it at that many places. Was not overly impressed with the one at Ragu but the grandchildren were with the flat bread.

Can I ask a question? Is the food different between Dukes at Night Bazaar and Dukes over the river?

Because I ate once at the Night Bazaar one and not only was the food rubbish but so was the service.

Haven't been back.

Lunched at Duke's Promenada today,did not have pizza but the mozzarella sticks were OK. Wife said the prawns in her cocktail seemed to be just out of frozen, no idea if they were frozen or supposed to be fresh.

Bacon wrapped scallops were overcooked. Cappuccino's were almost cold.

Sliced beef sandwich with horseradish etc was very tasty and good bread although the sauce/ gravy? was thin and tasteless, black pepper improved it a little.

We had been given a voucher so I suppose being a freebie we shouldn't complain but unlikely to repeat the experience.

• Like 1

Dukes Pizza (and it's threads on Tvisa) are fantastic.

And the flatbreads at Ragu are tip top as well.

+1

The pizzas (not flat-breads) at Ragu are also fantastic (and much different than Duke's pizzas). I like them both.

The flatbreads are fantastic and the pizzas are much the same as The Dukes.

Op,

What Duke location did you go to? We'd like to try it during our next visit to CM.

I've always preferred the original location, on the river near Rimping supermarket, as I've been eating there since it opened. However, last night I ate at River Market as the night was so nice and no aircon needed. The architecture and atmosphere at RM can't be beaten. They had someone bring the pizza over the bridge from the Duke's. It was as hot and tasty as on the other side and a Tiger beer in an iced mug made it even better.

Do they have the Duke's menu there? I must admit the Thai food is a bit too sanitised for my liking.

Dukes Pizza (and it's threads on Tvisa) are fantastic.

And the flatbreads at Ragu are tip top as well.

+1

The pizzas (not flat-breads) at Ragu are also fantastic (and much different than Duke's pizzas). I like them both.

The flatbreads are fantastic and the pizzas are much the same as The Dukes.

Just goes to show how subjective certain things can be. To me, the pizzas at Ragu are totally different than Dukes. The crust is completely different and is not not a bit soggy in the center like Dukes pizzas can be sometimes. But as I said, I think they are both great.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Had the Italian pizza from the Duke this week.

It was way more fat than usual.

Most be the new cheese.

For a good Parma ham pizza i always go to Lapin.

Duke is very good for Italian crust pizza or the meat lovers but not the best.

In your opinion where is the best?

Op,

What Duke location did you go to? We'd like to try it during our next visit to CM.

I've always preferred the original location, on the river near Rimping supermarket, as I've been eating there since it opened. However, last night I ate at River Market as the night was so nice and no aircon needed. The architecture and atmosphere at RM can't be beaten. They had someone bring the pizza over the bridge from the Duke's. It was as hot and tasty as on the other side and a Tiger beer in an iced mug made it even better.

Do they have the Duke's menu there? I must admit the Thai food is a bit too sanitised for my liking.

No they have more of a fusion menu there. As far as sanitized goes that is part of the reason I go there. You can always throw it on the floor before you eat it.giggle.gif

However, last night I ate at River Market as the night was so nice and no aircon needed. The architecture and atmosphere at RM can't be beaten. They had someone bring the pizza over the bridge from the Duke's. It was as hot and tasty as on the other side and a Tiger beer in an iced mug made it even better.

gosh is that right??? a pizza can be ordered from dukes and delivered to r/m

hope that is the case for me,as i rate dukes pizzas bigtimesmile.png best in c/mai by panels

I.M.O. the chaff at r/m in recent times has been a lot to be desired ,and service last time when i grazed was very slow in all depts,and a beerlao dark was around 130 bahtrolleyes.gif ouchhhh

have now cantered off to the chez marco,when in town.

but if i can ordered a dukes pizzas,i will be back in full gallop to the r/m,where the ambience is absoulately superbsmile.png but no beerlao dark, as a entree and desert at that highly inflated pricebiggrin.png

perhaps a chang or two

Edited by evenstevens
  • Like 1

I was at Maya Mall today looking at the Photography exhibit (well worth a trip) and saw the big sign for Dukes. Wonder when they'll be opening there?

Thanks, UG -- we've needed a pizza thread. Amazing it hasn't been hijacked yet.

Oh, and yes you can definitely order a pizza from Duke's at River Market. Makes it an especially attractive venue for an event. You can have both Thai food and Dukes food (not just pizza, but anything from Dukes) in a very special setting.

Thanks Nancy! That's a win/ win situation if ever I heard one!!