Doubts emerge over Time report on Thai police harassment

webfact

Doubts emerge over Time report on police harassment
By Todd Ruiz

timestory.jpg
Image: Screenshot from Time.com

BANGKOK: -- Questions have emerged about a widely read account of misconduct by Bangkok police published online by Time Magazine last week.

The harrowing, first-hand story written by Ian Lloyd Neubauer reports a damning account of police misconduct said to have happened at “a terrace bar in the Silom Road area” that is at odds with information and records provided by the police.

“It was Christmas Eve and I was at the upstairs area of a terrace bar in the Silom Road area having a late-night drink,” Neubauer wrote in Time’s article published Jan. 20. “At around 2 a.m. I called it a night and descended to the ground floor. There I saw half a dozen police officers searching the premises and interrogating the bartender, who was handcuffed on a chair.”

However inquiries with the police department responsible for that area insisted no such incident occurred Dec. 25 or around that date. Meanwhile, officers at a different police station in another neighborhood confirmed Neubauer was among five foreigners they said were detained on suspicion of drug use several kilometers away in the Sathon district at a restaurant known for selling drugs to its clients.

Far from random acts of abusive “tormentors” described, officers said they doing were doing good police work – acting on a tip which led them to seize a significant amount of drugs, and detaining people for which they had probable cause to do so.

“We did detain them and gave them a drug test for amphetamines,” said Police Lt. Somjit In-thilat, who that night was the watch commander at the Thung Maha Mek Police Station.

Numerous attempts over several days were made to reach Neubauer for comment. A reporter who sent messages via Facebook and Twitter found his account blocked soon thereafter. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/28/doubts-emerge-over-time-report-police-harassment

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-28

• Like 2

Too late, damage done. The story is already out there. Whether anyone (besides ThaiVisa Forum readers) are aware of it is another story.

Time is a top 500 website in the world. I suspect a few others saw it. These sorts of stories get big traffic which is why they get printed.

It's also less than credible that if they found 300 (!!) grams of cocaine they didn't test these guys?

Edited by Snig27

Be fairly easy to prove then on the part of the cops - show the signature.

They did:

"When reporters visited the Thung Maha Mek station on Monday, it took some time for police to locate who was in charge the night of Dec. 24. On Somjit’s phone remained photos from the raid, showing the five suspects, including Neubauer. After some discussion he also showed a report from that night where Neubauer’s name was printed next to his signature. The signature Somjit showed did not include a message reading “This is not my signature” as Neubauer reported."

• Like 2

They did:

"When reporters visited the Thung Maha Mek station on Monday, it took some time for police to locate who was in charge the night of Dec. 24. On Somjit’s phone remained photos from the raid, showing the five suspects, including Neubauer. After some discussion he also showed a report from that night where Neubauer’s name was printed next to his signature. The signature Somjit showed did not include a message reading “This is not my signature” as Neubauer reported."

No, I mean a properly verified signature, not just a bit of paper that the cops showed to reporters. There is a massive difference.

They did:

No, I mean a properly verified signature, not just a bit of paper that the cops showed to reporters. There is a massive difference.

Who should verify it? The Police? The reporters that it was shown to? Neubauer (who's disappeared and unavailable)?

• Like 1

Who should verify it? The Police? The reporters that it was shown to? Neubauer (who's disappeared and unavailable)?

So we have an unseen piece of paper (apart from a few reporters who wouldn't know his signature), the police claiming it is something which it may or may not be and some sort of claim that he's disappeared? This is Time magazine which requires at least a reasonable burden of proof to print something like this - who to believe Time and a reporter who has more than a few substantive stories under his belt and also works for the likes of The Guardian and Al Jazeera, or the cops claiming to have an unverified signature. Why does he need to respond to "A reporter who sent messages via Facebook and Twitter"?

If it exists and it's real, show the public - and send it to Time. Not hard. Maybe he did exaggerate a little. We don't really know but the story stands unless it can be disproved and the evidence to date seems to be his word against theirs. Who is more credible? The Thai police or Time magazine? I guess we each have to decide that for ourselves.

Based on previous experiences, I'd take anyone's word over those of the Royal Thai Police any day of the week until proven wrong. On the whole, not the most honest bunch of people in the world.

Unusual though that it seems no one has been able to contact the reporter in question though to add to, verify or dispute what's been written. Maybe he's keeping his head down for some reason ...

• Like 1

"However inquiries with the police department responsible for that area insisted no such incident occurred..."

When was the last time, or any time since the beginning of time, has a Thai admitted guilt, apologized and made amends? That is when they weren't guilty of a heinous crime and could either apologize vs. go to prison for a long stretch or pay a hefty fine (If they came from a 'respectable" family)?

Edited by jaltsc

"The harrowing, first-hand story written by Ian Lloyd Neubauer reports a damning account of police misconduct said to have happened at “a terrace bar in the Silom Road area” that is at odds with information and records provided by the police."

Um, I thought everyone agreed the police were corrupt liars? Apparently all deception and corruption was suspended while the Nation report was wtritten, and resumed immediately after.

The whopper was "Neubauer was among five foreigners they said were detained on suspicion of drug use several kilometers away in the Sathon district at a restaurant known for selling drugs to its clients."

Um, no arrests of the bar owners, operators or workers...? Curiouser and curiouser said Alice (and everyone else).....

blink.png

• Like 1

"The harrowing, first-hand story written by Ian Lloyd Neubauer reports a damning account of police misconduct said to have happened at “a terrace bar in the Silom Road area” that is at odds with information and records provided by the police."

Um, I thought everyone agreed the police were corrupt liars? Apparently all deception and corruption was suspended while the Nation report was wtritten, and resumed immediately after.

The whopper was "Neubauer was among five foreigners they said were detained on suspicion of drug use several kilometers away in the Sathon district at a restaurant known for selling drugs to its clients."

Um, no arrests of the bar owners, operators or workers...? Curiouser and curiouser said Alice (and everyone else).....

blink.png

I thought the OP said the bar owner and a member of staff had been arrested?

Edit {from the rest of the coconuts article}

They arrested the Thai woman owner and a male Thai staff member who are now in jail awaiting trial on drug charges.

Edited by Bluespunk