US Charge d'affaires summoned in protest of its top diplomat's statement

webfact

US Charge d’affaires summoned in protest of its top diplomat’s statement

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Ministry today summoned the US Charge d' affaires W. Patrick Murphy for a meeting to voice its uncomfortable stance and to demand clarification after its top diplomat's meeting with the former prime minister and his statement on the country's existing martial law.

The US Charge d’Affaires arrived at the Foreign Ministry at 8.00 am Wednesday.

The ministry’s reaction came after the US Assistant of State for Asian and Pacific Affairs Daniel Russell met former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra

During the meeting, the deposed premier also complained to the US top diplomat that she was unfairly impeached by the military-installed National Legislative Assembly.

Later on the same day the top diplomat gave a speech at a state university calling for the lifting of the martial law.

His call was later considered by Thai foreign affairs officials an interference of the Thai local affairs.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/us-charge-daffaires-summoned-protest-top-diplomats-statement

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-28

Two reports of 'Attitude Adjustment' on TVF in two days. The other one being the former Prime Minister's lawyer. I wonder if this signals a policy shift to a more 'muscular' position against opposition?

I think it signals that the world outside Thailand, doesn't understand and support General Happiness, regardless of what he is sprouting on a daily base.

• Like 1

Two reports of 'Attitude Adjustment' on TVF in two days. The other one being the former Prime Minister's lawyer. I wonder if this signals a policy shift to a more 'muscular' position against opposition?

I think it signals that the world outside Thailand, doesn't understand and support General Happiness, regardless of what he is sprouting on a daily base.

Obviously they have not listened to his hit single, "Returning Happiness to Thailand".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-xtWCJT3oQ

• Like 1

Foreign ministry clarifies US its need to have martial law in place

28-1-2558-11-23-391-wpcf_723x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Thai deputy foreign minister today clarified the US charge d'Affaires of its reasons to stay the martial law, and its uncomfortable position with the US top diplomat's speech calling for the lifting of martial law.

The deputy minister Mr Don Pramudwinai disclosed this after his meeting with the US charge d’affaires W. Patrick Murphy who was summoned to the ministry today for clarification of the country’s situation and its position regarding the existing martial law.

He said he summoned the US diplomat to voice opposition and discomfort over statement of the US assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Daniel Russell in a speech to students at Chulalongkorn University urging the military junta to lift the martial law as it was an interference if this local affairs.

He said what Mr Russell told the students was disappointing and would only leave a costly wound for Thai people, particularly students.

He said he explained to the US charge d’affaires that martial law has no impact on the normal life of the people.

He said he even asked the US diplomat who should be held responsible if martial law is lifted and political unrest returns to the country.

Mr Don said the meeting today would not sour the long 182 years relation which Thailand has enjoyed with its close friend, the United States, but would enable it by on understand the situation of the country better.

Russell is the highest ranking US official to stop in Thailand after the coup that brought down the elected government of Yingluck Shinawatra, whom he also met Monday.

During the meeting, she complained of unfair impeachment by the National Legislative Assembly in which she said more than half of its 220 members are top military officers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/foreign-ministry-clarifies-us-need-martial-law-place

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-28

Perhaps, more along the lines of keeping the lid on things and letting everyone know who is in charge.

Nothing unusual. The old saying of give some space and they'll make a breach in the wall holds true.

The General is defending the perimeter. I'd do the same thing if I was in his position, but I'm not.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The US never fail to stick there noses in other countries affairs. They should have denied him entry in to the Kingdom.

There are many Thai visa members who stick there noses in the countries affair. Should they also be denied entry into the Kingdom?
Simple answer Yes. Its not there country.

Didn't PM Prayuth yesterday assured everybody who can't escape listening that he doesn't care and that the relationship between the Junta and the US Government is good? Little White lies or fragile ego?

Of course it is good. Just imagine how friendly the USA will get if Prayuth consider to have some Cobra Red Star exercises with China. Or close the US military base that doesn't exist. Or their spy centers.

With the current US politics to threaten China, Iran, Venezuela, Russia, Syria, North Korea at the same time and having Malaysia and Myanmar as neighbors USA can't afford to make Thailand an enemy and loose a big area (North South) they currently control).

Chwooly. Can you honestly tell me another country that does anything unless it benefits them. The US is no different than any other country except the fact that they are the most powerful and richest country on Earth which in sone regards gives them every right to question the policies of any other country,especially considering the amount of funding they supply to various countries.

• Like 2

I still fail to see what was so shocking about the statements made. They said that the way things were done COULD APPEAR to be politically motivated.

He didn't say they were, just that to those outside, given how it all unfolded, that it COULD APPEAR that was the case.

I would suggest that to many people, knowing the history, or whatever version they were told etc, would probably agree that is probably a correct statement.

Not that it is definitely the case that it was, just that it COULD APPEAR so.

Its a fairly accurate and factual statement. Even on here, where one would presume people know all the background, some would still argue that it was politically motivated, so to suggest to others that it could appear that way is hardly an incorrect statement.

The stuff on lifting martial law is just standard diplomatic stuff, hardly confrontational, and i dare say would be echoed by many countries, more for show than anything else.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The US never fail to stick there noses in other countries affairs. They should have denied him entry in to the Kingdom.

There are many Thai visa members who stick there noses in the countries affair. Should they also be denied entry into the Kingdom?
Simple answer Yes. Its not there country.

You don't find it just a tad hypocritical that you are here stating in "public" what you think should happen here in Thailand, in exactly the same way as everyone else is doing? Should you be barred entry also for voicing an opinion?

It's politics/diplomacy, nothing unusual, the games continue.

• Like 1

Why US want lifting of martial law..Law and order prevail actually in Thailand . Perhaps, US like to see Thai blood on street........perhaps US like to see children kill by Red/Blackshirt, perhaps US administration was a part of responsibility in attempt the 2010 red revolution ?

wai2.gif

• Like 1

One thing I am really curious about is how has the coup effected the quality of life for the average expat? I know for me personally there has been no lowering of the quality of life here in Thailand, The few times I have been in BKK I have not been stopped for a drug check.

I have not been the victim of any random searches or seizures other then 2 times at a checkpoint on my motorbike, first time I didn't have a license so I had to pay a fine, 2nd time I had everything in order and they let me go on my merry way. Prices seem to be the same, I am not harassed at the airport when I come in.

So what is the real issue for expats?

• Like 1