30 day extension- imigration employee strange behavior/rule

Hi i live in Hat Yai with my gf that studies here for a long time and i am on tourist visa. Usually when i need to get my 30 day extension in immigration office i submit my filled form, passport and signed copies and in about 10 mins i am usually done.

But there is this girl that always kinda look at me strange way, the way like she thinks i am a secret government spy or something.

Today after i got extension she wanted to take a photo of me, which usually never happened before, and the strange thing is that she wanted to take photo with her phone. I asked why does she need my photo since i have a photo in the passport and in the application form as well, then she said "these are the NEW rules".

During the visits we met most of the employees there in the immigration since we go there very often either for my visa or my GF visa. Other staff members are very nice and they chat, make jokes etc, but she she is totally different. To mention one time like 1 year ago , i had a pleasant chat with one monk there, and there was she, that was the first time i saw in the immigration office, she took me to the room where they work - there is not allowed to enter other than employees and she questioned me about do i work here, where do i live, what am i doing on Thailand etc.

Back on the topic,

Did anyone had similar situation, and do you think that photo thing could be the new set of rules. I personally don't think they are, i think this girl is just trying to find something against me. Also i changed my passport recently since the old one was full, could that be the reason for all this?

Edited by SpeedFreakz

I think the reason is simple: you're living here on a tourist visa and she doesn't like that.

Well i pay for her salary every 2 months, she should be happy instead. I don't work here, me and my GF are not married so the only thing atm is tourist visa, i usually carry recommendation letters from my gfs PHD professors in case they need poof or something. And most of the staff already know our situation, i usually write that as a reason for extension "to stay with my gf until she finish her studies".

If it's the hard-faced, busy-body female in her 40s, then I know where you're coming from as that particular specimen is very weird. She likes to speak loudly and tries to show people up by making stoopid quips in Thai and English, though it's all on her as no-one laughs. I've been to immigration offices all over Thailand and, without a doubt, the Hat Yai one is the absolute worst regards personability and competence and for drumming up spurious rules. They would be stuffed if they were transferred to an office that actually works, like Chiang Mai.

Issue could be your tourist visa, but they tend to be generally edgy regardless, which could be down to the fairly recent bombing of the cop house next door.

I was in immigration a few months ago and some immigration dude took a posed photo of the two of us with him inspecting my passport. He did it with the other foreigners there too. He was very friendly but it was a bit weird. I got the feeling he wanted pictures on his phone to show he was doing his job or something.

At CM Immigration they make an attempt to entertain/inform us with an ever-changing presentation on a TV monitor. I swear, every time I go there, the presentation is different. They have slides that outline the rules and their English is getting better. They intersperse the boring text with photos of the Immigration officers "in action" with foreigners, often presenting them with little gifts of flowers or candy and the foreigners looking totally baffled like "what am I, the 1000th retirement extension of 2014?"

Maybe that's what they're doing.

Actually word is now they require a photo at immigration for various visa extensions. Maybe to prove you came in person.

A few times when I did my annual extension of stay at Jomtien they took a digital photo. Hasn't happened in a few years, but imagine it would be added to your computer file. Using a mobile phone would make it easy to download, which obviously they couldn't easily do with a passport photo attached to an application.

I think the reason is simple: you're living here on a tourist visa and she doesn't like that.

Well i pay for her salary every 2 months, she should be happy instead. I don't work here, me and my GF are not married so the only thing atm is tourist visa, i usually carry recommendation letters from my gfs PHD professors in case they need poof or something. And most of the staff already know our situation, i usually write that as a reason for extension "to stay with my gf until she finish her studies".

No, you don't...

have been photoed via webcam at various times.

That is the standard procedure.

had noticed that on the extension last year.

I don't know whether they update at every visit (guess not).

Doing with a smartphone may look a bit strange.

Taking pictures is by no way exceptional.

Sometime soon (!) they will fingerprint (scanner) all foreigners (at least thats the plan).

Edited by KhunBENQ

You travelled to Thailand with a tourist visa and on your arrival were given permission to stay for 60 days for the reason of tourism. Therefore, the only valid reason for an extension of stay would again be tourism.

Purpose of visit listed on the TM 6. is 'holiday' rather than tourism.

If you have nothing to hide, whats the problem about immigration officers taking your photo?

Many government workers want to take your photo on a smart phone to prove to the boss they are doing what they say they are doing.

I get regular visits from physios/ dentist /nurses etc, at home .

Every time they ask if they can pose with me for photo. One time i asked why? for bosses to see i am here with you, was the reply.

Actually word is now they require a photo at immigration for various visa extensions. Maybe to prove you came in person.

Done an extension today and everyone had to have their picture taken which the lady said was proof that you had been there in person. There were none of the usual agents carrying bags of PPs from KPG either which is likely why the place was rammed full.

• Like 1