Chiang Mai declares no-fly zones for sky lanterns

webfact

Chiang Mai declares no-fly zones for sky lanterns

28-1-2558-13-12-08-wpcf_728x409.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai authorities today declared five districts where floating sky lanterns are definitely prohibited unless at festive season and with advance notice.

The five districts are Muang, Hang Dong, Sarapee, Mae Rim, and Sansai.

However floating sky lanterns in these five districts will be allowed during festive seasons.

But business operators and organisers of fairs must notify local authorities seven days in advance of the location and exact time of launch.

Besides, the floated sky lantern must meet required official standards. It must be no more than 90 centimetres in diameter, and 140 centimetres in height

Fuel used must not weigh over 55 grammes and burning time of fuel must not exceed eight minutes.

The sky lantern must display its manufacturer and address clearly.

The ban on sky lantern floating followed its threat to aviation as many airports in the North had reported of hundreds of sky lanterns fallen on airport compound, including runways, thus posing safety concern.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chiang-mai-declares-no-fly-zones-sky-lanterns

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-28

• Like 1

Time for the "Sky Police" to come in and shoot down the unauthorized Lanterns.

Just strap on one of those pump water guns from Songkran..to a drone.

Can't they've just banned drones too.

Three cheers for beloved leader, increasing happiness everywhere!

They are. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794944-drones-fitted-with-cameras-to-be-banned-in-thailand/

• Like 1

Dang it... I was hoping to see that. It would have been great.

Sounds like they just shot themselves in the foot by banning the drones, though.

Dang it... I was hoping to see that. It would have been great.

Sounds like they just shot themselves in the foot by banning the drones, though.

They could use the fire detection police as lantern police, I am sure they will have just as much effect.

Usual parade of "Nay-Sayers and Knockers."

Good move! Perhaps the usual "Belly-ache Brigade" would prefer that no action be taken and these lanterns bring down an aircraft, civilian or military.

Perhaps they'd also be happier if a few people burned to death as a result of one of these things setting a house on fire?

Good move! Perhaps the usual "Belly-ache Brigade" would prefer that no action be taken and these lanterns bring down an aircraft, civilian or military.

Perhaps they'd also be happier if a few people burned to death as a result of one of these things setting a house on fire?

It's a good move to try it, but most people are laughing at the expectation that - as usual - it will not be enforced.

For example, every year they say the police will arrest people slashing and burning, but the Thais can do it outside a police station and the dozy bastards won't lift a finger.

• Like 1

No action will be taken.

They can't make people wear helmets right outside a police station....

Trying to pinpoint where a lantern was launched from is impossible.

Catch me if you can, Plod....and I'll film it with my Drone to help you find me.