Cannot Stay Connected To True

Crushdepth

I'm having big problems with True - I can't maintain a constant connection to the network. On average the connection resets, freezes or boots me off every 20 minutes or so.

For general web surfing this isn't really that much of an issue. The problem is that one of my main uses of internet is online gaming, where an uninterrupted connection is essential (getting disconnected tends to mean you get killed and penalized).

It's driving me absolutely nuts. The phone line seems fine/not noisy and isn't very old as I had it installed with the ADSL about 18 months ago, although I'm getting about 450K connection speed to True on a 512K package.

Any ideas on probable cause?

I'd also appreciate it if anyone could point me to a reliable DNS...

Edited by Crushdepth

Have you confirmed that the actual ADSL connection is bombing out, as opposed to your computers network connection - for example, when this problem occurs do you sometimes get a new IP address?

Are you connecting with a router or with a modem? Do you use filters for your computer and the telephone(s)?

Re DNS I use 203.130.159.20/21 which is jinet.com and it has been fast and problem-free for me, overseas you could try opendns.com - 208.67.222.222/220.220 but it won't be as fast as local.

Edited by silvero

Thanks for posting this.

I am having the same problem although it is not critical to just redail up and log in.

But I thought my modem was failing.

Now it looks like something going on at True.

Anyone else keep getting disconected ??

Well.......actually it's not adsl but bdsl: bouncing-dsl.

When you call Bangkok, they will say the usual:

-did you reboot modem?

-all lights on sir?

-no, we asked engineers and no problems sir. Goodbye.

A small part of the logfile from my router that has a TRUE adsl line connected to it, is shown below.

When you take a look at the timestamps, you can see several periods where the line is up during 10 minutes, goes down for a few seconds and then comes up again.

When you look at the OSI layers, the following is happening:

-the ATM signal on the line stays up - this is the circuit from the telco exchange to the customer.

-the line protocol goes down: the IP layer dies, the IP address is released and not renewed.

By the way, this technical insight is way too difficult for the TRUE person at the helpdesk. The Thai way of solving this problem is very easy:

-Yes, after 10 minute we see problem.

-Oh, few seconds later connectivity again!

-No we not have problem.

Aug 19 10:36:35.240: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 10:47:15.042: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 10:47:20.290: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 10:57:15.959: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 10:57:21.403: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 11:07:44.861: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 11:07:50.185: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 11:17:45.831: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 11:17:51.167: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 11:27:46.833: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 11:27:52.177: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 11:37:47.954: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 11:37:53.306: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 11:47:48.992: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 11:47:54.472: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 11:57:49.869: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 11:57:55.637: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 12:07:50.791: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 12:07:56.399: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 12:17:52.013: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 12:17:57.453: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 12:27:52.922: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 12:27:58.430: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 12:29:16.243: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 12:37:53.152: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 12:47:55.262: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 12:48:00.714: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 12:57:56.175: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 12:58:01.823: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 13:07:57.569: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 13:08:02.853: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 13:20:59.116: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 13:21:04.464: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 13:31:00.270: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 13:31:05.794: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 13:41:01.415: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 13:41:06.971: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 13:51:02.309: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 13:51:07.553: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 14:01:03.347: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 14:01:08.839: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 14:11:04.580: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 14:11:10.220: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 15:47:36.115: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 15:47:55.875: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 15:51:36.181: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 15:51:48.601: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 15:53:26.202: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 15:55:09.639: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 16:47:46.304: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 16:47:55.957: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 16:50:16.382: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 16:50:29.046: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 16:53:36.348: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 16:54:05.776: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 16:54:56.372: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 16:55:16.165: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 17:05:56.667: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 17:06:01.887: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 17:07:06.311: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 17:07:25.867: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 17:33:54.078: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 17:43:09.324: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 17:53:02.277: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 17:53:07.905: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 18:03:29.711: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 18:03:35.215: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 19 18:13:30.573: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 19 18:13:36.165: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Aug 20 07:16:37.916: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to down

Aug 20 07:17:07.432: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface, changed state to up

Edited by Prasert

Thanks. No I don't know at this stage if its the ADSL or network connection but I'll try to look into it. One thing I've noticed is that sometimes after a crash the router must be reset - the PC cannot get a new IP address from the router, cannot reach the admin screen.

I am not using a filter, but there is no phone connected (nobody calls me so I pulled it out :o

I just had a poke around some of the more arcane router settings - can anyone tell me if these stats mean anything:

Fast Path FEC Correction: near end indicator: 0, far end indicator: 06

Interleaved Path FEC Correction: Near end indicator: 38, far end indicator: 38

Fast Path CRC Error: Near end indicator: 0, far end indicator: 8

Interleaved Path CRC Error: Near end indicator: 7687, far end indicator: 15

Loss of Signal Defect: Near end indicator: ---, far end indicator: ---

Loss of Frame Defect: near end indicator: ---, far end indicator: ---

Loss of Power Defect: near end indicator: ---, far end indicator: ---

Fast Path HEC Error: near end indicator: 0, far end indicator: 0

Interleaved Path HEC Error: near end indicator: 5117, far end indicator: 21

Noise Margin: upstream 25 dB, downstream 14 dB

Output Power: upstream 10.5 dBm, downstream 17 dBm

Attenuation: upstream 16 dB, downstream 25 dB

Any clues there?

Thanks for showing the logfile. My router doesn't log like that, but what your logs show is consistent with my in-game experience: connection drops out for a while. Sometimes it recovers fast enough for the game to continue, othertimes the game times out and dies.

Edited by Crushdepth

Those values certainly mean anything: it shows information about the phone wire from the telco exchange to your modem.

The telco exchange is located within close range (up to a few kilometers) of your house. At this exchange is a filterbox like people use at home. One wire goes to the phone central (PBX), the other wire (for data) goes to a DSLAM.

That part of the connection to the internet is actually the dsl circuit. Just like ethernet or fiber, it's a way to transport data. It has nothing to do with TCP/IP.

Nothing seems to be wrong with this circuit looking at your data!!!

The protocol is a bigger story. The DSLAM is basically a big LAN switch. This switch needs an uplink to the ISPs network. And on this network is a box (usually a router) that will make the required PPP connection and provide your equipment with an IP address.

So the default gateway you see configured on your box is actually far away from your house. The problem arises in this PPP connection.

The cause of this problem could be anywhere between the DSLAM and the ISP backbone. What it is? Nobody seems to know.

The log I showed you is not only from my router. At a different location I have another router with a different adsl line connected to it. It goes down at exactly the same time and it comes up at exactly the same time. And....every single adsl line on the entire island is going down at the same time.

Next part on the way to TRUE: a microwave connection to Phangan, fiber connection to the other side of that island and a microwave connection to Samui. Same story to the mainland, and from there it's some connection to Suratthani where the internet backbone from TRUE is. A lot of sections that can cause problems.......

Thanks for posting this.

I am having the same problem although it is not critical to just redail up and log in.

But I thought my modem was failing.

Now it looks like something going on at True.

Anyone else keep getting disconected ??

I had the same prob, disconnected 15 times a day. My motherboard was hasip-hasip so I changed it and now I have a good connection, so far not been kicked out once.

Symptoms of a problem with your network connection could be:

- Entries in the Event Log showing some hardware errors/LAN disconnections

- The LAN taskbar icon showing connected, then disconnected etc with the popup bubble.

- The DSL light on your router staying on the whole time during a disruption, but your Ethernet LAN connection light flickering or off

Normally if your internet connection goes down there should be no LAN connection problem, i.e. your computer should continue to be connected to the router and hence the LAN with a local IP address and access to the router. If your router bombs every time there is an interruption, and your computer has no local IP, your problem could easily be the router.

I would suggest trying to isolate the problem down to the PC, the router or the connection.

Symptoms of a problem with your network connection could be:

- Entries in the Event Log showing some hardware errors/LAN disconnections

- The LAN taskbar icon showing connected, then disconnected etc with the popup bubble.

- The DSL light on your router staying on the whole time during a disruption, but your Ethernet LAN connection light flickering or off

Normally if your internet connection goes down there should be no LAN connection problem, i.e. your computer should continue to be connected to the router and hence the LAN with a local IP address and access to the router. If your router bombs every time there is an interruption, and your computer has no local IP, your problem could easily be the router.

I would suggest trying to isolate the problem down to the PC, the router or the connection.

I had a simualr problem here with a Linksys Wifi/Router/modem and an upgrade to new firmware sorted it out.

Edited by jsat

This is interesting as I am on a Jasmine connection and use their recommended (to me) DNS servers which are 203.147.0.3 and 203.147.0.2. 203.130.159.20 identifies itself as dnscache1.ji-net.com. Did Jasmine suggest that one or did you just find and decide to use it yourself?

Why would you suggest a different DNS server for overseas or do you mean if he is located overseas?

Peter

Re DNS I use 203.130.159.20/21 which is jinet.com and it has been fast and problem-free for me, overseas you could try opendns.com - 208.67.222.222/220.220 but it won't be as fast as local.

The jinet DNS servers are the ones TT&T gave me to use and I wouldn't recommend an overseas DNS server unless you have a reliability problem with your local one, simply because it will be slower and not any better.

I mentioned the overseas one as some people prefer a big overseas public DNS server because they have problems with their local one or have privacy concerns.

I find True's DNS a bit tempermental. Sometimes it works great, other times hopeless, and there are some sites that just won't open ('network tcp error' time out etc).

So I've tried a few other Thai DNS with same results - work well for a while, then crap out. I have no idea why (I would have thought this sort of thing would be fairly straight forward!).

Hmmm. If the site won't open that doesn't indicate a DNS server error. If the DNS server resolves the name of the site/domain to an IP address then it has done it's job.

Peter

I find True's DNS a bit tempermental. Sometimes it works great, other times hopeless, and there are some sites that just won't open ('network tcp error' time out etc).

So I've tried a few other Thai DNS with same results - work well for a while, then crap out. I have no idea why (I would have thought this sort of thing would be fairly straight forward!).

Hi Crushdepth,

You say you not have a telephone and splitter connected, maybe you can try to connect a telephone and take it of the hook for a longer time.

If your ADSL signal strenght is not that high, taking the telephone of the hook will just boost the ADSL signal just a bit you maybe need. True is using a auto-terminator, so the telephone signal will shutdown after a few seconds, and leaves the whole cable free for the ADSL signal.