Re-entry Permit: Jomtien or Suvarnabhumi?

NanLaew

I have been in and out of Jomtien Immigration several times recently and it's still a bit of a rugby scrum.

I need a re-entry permit so wondering if anyone has had recent experience getting one at Jomtien. Since this will be a Monday chore, I assume it will be even more manic. Maybe I should just pay the extra and get one at the airport when I depart on Tuesday?

Thanks for any advice!

NL

Beware of the stamps, last time I went to Jomtien to get a re-entry they stamped the wrong date into my passport so it looked like I had overstayed 10 days when I tried to fly out to Cambodia from Don Muang. Luckily I met a nice immigration official there who first wanted me to pay for the overstay but finally phoned Chonburi and they corrected the date at the airport. I almost missed my flight . Next time I will do this at the airport.

Edited by balo

Beware of the stamps, last time I went to Jomtien to get a re-entry they stamped the wrong date into my passport so it looked like I had overstayed 10 days when I tried to fly out to Cambodia from Don Muang. Luckily I met a nice immigration official there who first wanted me to pay for the overstay but finally phoned Chonburi and they corrected the date at the airport. I almost missed my flight . Next time I will do this at the airport.

Always check the stamps at ANY point.

They make the mistake and you have the problem.

Yermanee

• Like 2

I dont follow. The re-entry permit has no impact on you when you are leaving and not having one wont make you liable for an overstay fine; the re-entry permit is to allow you to re-enter the country without losing whatever prolonged authorisation of stay you initially had.

• Like 1

I dont follow. The re-entry permit has no impact on you when you are leaving and not having one wont make you liable for an overstay fine; the re-entry permit is to allow you to re-enter the country without losing whatever prolonged authorisation of stay you initially had.

Are you suggesting balo is making this up just to boost his post count then?

There are two stamped dates on a re-entry permit; the 'Valid Until' and the 'Date of Issue'. The 'Valid Until' should be the same as the extension expiration date it endorses. If they use the wrong date, which is not unknown, an overstay can easily be miscalculated. In this case they probably used the 'Date of Issue' stamp in the 'Valid Until' box. Voila! Overstay!

• Like 1

There are two stamped dates on a re-entry permit; the 'Valid Until' and the 'Date of Issue'. The 'Valid Until' should be the same as the extension expiration date it endorses. If they use the wrong date, which is not unknown, an overstay can easily be miscalculated. In this case they probably used the 'Date of Issue' stamp in the 'Valid Until' box. Voila! Overstay!

But this is not checked when you leave. It is checked when you arrive.

Or are you talking about leaving for a second time, having previously re-entered using another re-entry permit?

• Like 1

I would not trust waiting to get one at the airport. But that's just me, I'm always prepared. Too many things could go haywire if you wait till the last minute, not worth the stress.

+1

Too much scope for things to go wrong getting it just before you leave the country. Fail to get the re-entry stamp for whatever reason before you go and your original Non-O visa and the current extension become invalid and you are back at square one. Combine that with the way the Thai embassy in London are making it much more difficult to get a Non-O these days and it's just not worth the risk and hassle.

But this is not checked when you leave. It is checked when you arrive.

Or are you talking about leaving for a second time, having previously re-entered using another re-entry permit?

Yes that must be it. I travelled a lot in 2014 , so the immigration official must have looked at the wrong dates, anyway I remember it october 03 that was mixed up with October 13, they replaced 0 with 1 in the passport at Don Muang. This was not a normal thing to do so they explained to me that normally I would have to pay the overstay , even if chonburi immigration did a mistake.

Edited by balo

Yes that must be it. I travelled a lot in 2014 , so the immigration official must have looked at the wrong dates, anyway I remember it october 03 that was mixed up with October 13, they replaced 0 with 1 in the passport at Don Muang. This was not a normal thing to do so they explained to me that normally I would have to pay the overstay , even if chonburi immigration did a mistake.

That makes sense. Yes, you would need to check that they entered the correct "permitted to stay" date for that.

• Like 1

As the pic in post #9 states: only in case of emergency!!!!

If everyone who is annoyed with the regular immigration-services is going to obtain a RE-permit at the airport, the service will be terminated and ONLY available for emergencies which have to be proven by some kind of document from doctors or something stating that you have to leave the country in a hurry without having the possibility to visit an immigration-office

As the pic in post #9 states: only in case of emergency!!!!

If everyone who is annoyed with the regular immigration-services is going to obtain a RE-permit at the airport, the service will be terminated and ONLY available for emergencies which have to be proven by some kind of document from doctors or something stating that you have to leave the country in a hurry without having the possibility to visit an immigration-office

There will ALWAYS be an emergency so it won't be curtailed because of a few, smarter people coming up from Pattaya or your wishful thinking.

I was in the area yesterday around 2 PM so dropped in and as expected for a Monday, it was mobbed. I asked the girl how long it would take and she said about 4 hours. I had business in Bangkok today but will check again Wednesday morning.