K&N air filter cleaning

tomtaylor1

Hi All, have a K&N washable reusable high flow cotton air filter. K&N state I should use a K&N cleaner and air filter oil, or comparable air filter cleaner and oil, any suggestions what I could use to clean this filter and where if needed be to buy it from.

I am living in Pattaya.

Thank you in anticipation Tom

Those filters can go on for years without touching. Unless it got caked in something I would not touch it.

Look at my avatar, was on the car for over 20 years, fink I cleaned it once. It was small-ish for my application, 3x11 inch, but could breath 800cfm noooo problem.

facepalm.gif Ermm just because you didn't clean it often enough and it still allowed air to enter doesn't mean it SHOULD go that long before servicing, there is no telling how much the performance was affected and moreover it's because they're very effective that they should be serviced more often, not less.

facepalm.gif Ermm just because you didn't clean it often enough and it still allowed air to enter doesn't mean it SHOULD go that long before servicing, there is no telling how much the performance was affected and moreover it's because they're very effective that they should be serviced more often, not less.

facepalm.gif Ermm, wrong.........Read their tech.....................coffee1.gif

PS. My ride ran the same times (with no N2O) with or without the K&N........thumbsup.gif

facepalm.gif Ermm, wrong.........Read their tech.....................coffee1.gif

PS. My ride ran the same times (with no N2O) with or without the K&N........thumbsup.gif

Shouldn't it run a better time with the right filter ?

• Like 1

Over stock yes.......My point was, I ran with no filter then fitted a K&N, noooooo difference in times.

K&N breath an incredible amount of air over stock, thats why folk can fit a smaller filter.

• Like 1

Filters never improve performance, they only hinder it to varying degrees. They do make engines last a whole lot longer though wink.png

When I was into modding cars (over that now) I did exactly what TA did though... the only way to know if you have a good air filter is to run without one and compare :)

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 2

Filters never improve performance, they only hinder it to varying degrees. They do make engines last a whole lot longer though wink.png

When I was into modding cars (over that now) I did exactly what TA did though... the only way to know if you have a good air filter is to run without one and compare smile.png

My point was actually that an engine will perform the best when it get the right mix of air and fuel. Without an airfilter, or with a too small sized filter, the mix never will be optimal.

• Like 1

My point was actually that an engine will perform the best when it get the right mix of air and fuel. Without an airfilter, or with a too small sized filter, the mix never will be optimal.

Erm, the air filter doesn't regulate the stoichiometry - airflow, mass and temperature sensors, along with fuel metering and some computing do that - in modern engines anyway tongue.png

TA can probably tell us how he adjusted his carburettor for it :P

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Some of the larger car accessories places will have the cleaning/oil kits. Autobacs springs to mind. I usually get mine at the motor expo.

I've run these filters so long I honestly don't know if they give much more performance over stock. I did notice some difference in my suzuki swift when I popped the paper filter back in. It seemed a bit more peppy, perhaps due to the lower air flow restriction.

I an tell what did increase performance, was when I unknowingly split the plastic intake pipe on my civic (and hence air flow sensor went out of wack and caused a cel). Unfiltered air was sucked right into the manifold without any filtering. Acceleration was quite significantly increased. Fortunately I found the leak after a couple of days.

Ermm not wrong.. Mostly common sense to the rest of their world, their tech says NOTHING about not maintaining the product for 20 years, quite the opposite, but even still you get mileage out of the product, but not without proper care.. facepalm.gif

When I was into modding cars (over that now) I did exactly what TA did though... the only way to know if you have a good air filter is to run without one and compare smile.png

I thought there were smart people here? T/A suggested it NEVER required cleaning for 20 years, how is THAT smart and how does that improve performance? Utter nonsense, I can't believe what I'm reading from supposedly intelligent people? You take out an air filter that is in any way efficient in just a few months it is completely saturated and the K&N is BETTER at cleaning, not less efficient, so it requires MORE maintenance not less to be at best performance.. That is WHY it's coated with oil and why it's cleanable, the product last hundreds of thousands of miles but not efficient if not cleaned and that will also prematurely wear the filter, too much outward pressure pushes the fiber cloth through the mesh and also pokes holes in it passing dirty air through.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Some of the larger car accessories places will have the cleaning/oil kits. Autobacs springs to mind. I usually get mine at the motor expo.

I've run these filters so long I honestly don't know if they give much more performance over stock. I did notice some difference in my suzuki swift when I popped the paper filter back in. It seemed a bit more peppy, perhaps due to the lower air flow restriction.

I an tell what did increase performance, was when I unknowingly split the plastic intake pipe on my civic (and hence air flow sensor went out of wack and caused a cel). Unfiltered air was sucked right into the manifold without any filtering. Acceleration was quite significantly increased. Fortunately I found the leak after a couple of days.

For racing many actually don't use them, they just cost more and require more maintenance, we used to just buy the cheapest Chinese tissue paper filters possible to prevent larger debris from ingress and replace them after every race weekend. Our dyno tests showed the cheaper filter actually produced more power because the density of the K&N fiber without fluid was too dense and with fluid it was even worse impeding air flow like a poster above posted in relation to the cheap filters. They (filters) DO effect performance though IMHO kind of worded it in reverse in attempt to make his point basically he just stated the same thing without realizing it. More air + more fuel = higher HP no matter what the fuel delivery system, the computer will just dial down the fuel to air ratio if not enough air which starves performance, it finds a balance if not the BEST balance.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Over stock yes.......My point was, I ran with no filter then fitted a K&N, noooooo difference in times.

K&N breath an incredible amount of air over stock, thats why folk can fit a smaller filter.

That's times and a general statement at best, show us dyno readouts that back that up, plus you're broad statement does not take into account atmospheric conditions which is also a massive factor, no one runs, same times in EVERY condition no mater what your set up or filter or your driving skills. Try putting in a 20 year old dirty filter and a new one and see which has better performance? coffee1.gifwhistling.gif

Yep like I already knew before I allowed you to waste my time, it says nothing about cleaning it once in twenty years, so that'll be the end of that discussion. To that end it suggests doing it when there is no way of knowing if your performance actually drops due to the filter being dirty or other factors so regular cleaning is the professionally recommended and common sense approach to proper service. I also contend there is no way once in 20 years is proper service intervals, silly you should even suggest so.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yep like I already knew before I allowed you to waste my time, it says nothing about cleaning it once in twenty years, so that'll be the end of that discussion. To that end it suggests doing it when there is no way of knowing if your performance actually drops due to the filter being dirty or other factors so regular cleaning is the professionally recommended and common sense approach to proper service. I also contend there is no way once in 20 years is proper service intervals, silly you should even suggest so.

Gawd..........facepalm.gif

• Like 1

My sentiments exactly, just what about that is so off putting to you? Never mind I'm done with ignorance let the OP make his choice.

The OP's answer is in my link, item 4...As I previously stated it probably don't need cleaning.

You seem more interested in my "20 year" thing instead of asking how many miles did the ride do in 20 years...........Now if you do not understand what THEY are saying in the link then thats your problem...rolleyes.gif

You can clean that thing as much as you like..............Makes nooooooooooo difference........

you stick in your own golden motoring decade, some of us live in more modern times. Jeez at one time I thought you actually new something about the motoring industry too.

• Like 1

You can clean that thing as much as you like..............Makes nooooooooooo difference........

you stick in your own golden motoring decade, some of us live in more modern times. Jeez at one time I thought you actually new something about the motoring industry too.

So I use a K&N for 20 years on street & strip, build and maintain my own engines, inspect every critical piece of my combo, never a problem with any filtration and l am wrong.......OK.......coffee1.gif

PS. Going back to my link, are they wrong too..........?