Appointment of Honorary Australian Consul in Phuket now official

webfact

Appointment of Honorary Australian Consul in Phuket now official

1422588336_1-org.jpg
Michelle Hawryluk, 34, has now officially been appointed as Honorary Consul in Phuket – for Australia.

Phuket: -- Although she has been doing the job since May 2014, it was announced in a press release by the Australian Embassy in Bangkok on January 29, that Canadian Michelle Hawryluk, 34, has now officially been appointed as Honorary Consul in Phuket – for Australia.

She took up the post, replacing Larry Cunningham, who stepped down at the end of September 2013, after eight years in the post. (See story here.)

Ms Hawryluk is an experienced lawyer, admitted to practice in Australia and the United States. She is currently Managing Partner of the Phuket based Hawryluk Legal Advisors, and has lived on the island since 2009. She is fluent in speaking the Thai language.

Please listen to Tim Shaw̕s lunch-time show today (January 30) from 2.00pm on Live 89.5, when he will be conducting a live interview with Australian Ambassador to Thailand, H.E. Paul Robilliard, and discussing the appointment of Michelle as Honorary Consul in Phuket – for Australia, and also human trafficking in Thailand and Australia's role working with Thai authorities in clamping down of on the trafficking.

Ms Hawryluk can be contacted by email at [email protected] or by calling her office at 076 510 111.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/apppointment-of-honorary-australian-consul-in-phuket-now-official-50804.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-30

Why didn't an Australian get appointed? I know it's a thankless and hard job that I wouldn't do for any amount of money but not one Australian qualified for the role?

Bizarre.

Australia likes to outsource, even the current Australian P.M is British. Try going to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok and see if you can locate an Aussie. Most of the staff are Thai with limited English skills, then you have Americans and even an English guy.

Edited by Kooweerup
  • Like 2

The Honorary Consuls can do very little these days, although Michelle has been very helpful.

One has to wait for BKK Embassy Outreach visits for things like passport renewal, Income affidavits witnessed, etc

I think some in the Thai Ministry of the Interior thought Larry "speak too much" - Onyah Mate, you'll be a hard act to follow.

I suppose being an honorary consul is a good way of making contacts for your legal business.

But surely there must have been one Australian in Phuket capable and willing to take on the task.

• Like 1

Why didn't an Australian get appointed? I know it's a thankless and hard job that I wouldn't do for any amount of money but not one Australian qualified for the role?

Bizarre.

"but not one Australian qualified for the role" - I would have thought the first thing in the "essential criteria" list would have been, "Australian Citizen."

I think it's embarrassing for the nation that not one Australian qualified for the role.

I can just see some drunk Aussie banged up in gaol, with this Canadian lady visiting him, and him saying to her, "Speak English, will ya." cheesy.gif

Agree, why appoint a Canadian as honorary Consul??? But then, the Monk just appointed HRH Prince Phillip as a Knight of Australia....guess, next year "il Poppa" will get a gong!!!! laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

The Australian Consul in Chiangmai is a Thai woman and she doesn't even speak English. Total waste of time and taxpayer money, no help if an aussie finds themselves in a bit of bother you will need an interpreter to speak to the Aussie Consul

• Like 1

Disgraceful. ...

I think the general consensus was that Michelle (who is my lawyer BTW), was far more competent for this role than any of the Aussies in Phuket.

Maybe that's what you mean by 'disgraceful' smile.png

"I think the general consensus was that Michelle (who is my lawyer BTW)" - isn't practicing law an occuption restricted for Thai's only?

Surely the newly appointed Honorary Australian Consul wouldn't be breaching Thai labour Laws, would she? :)

Under the Alien Employment Act, the following occupations are closed to foreigners and is reserved for Thai nationals only:

• Labor work except labor work in fishing boats under the next category below.
  • Agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery, except work requiring specialized knowledge, farm supervision, or labor work in fishing boats, particularly marine fishery.
  • Bricklaying, carpentry, or other construction work.
  • Wood carving.
  • Driving motor vehicles or vehicles which do not use machinery or mechanical devices, except piloting international aircraft.
  • Front shop sale.
  • Auction sale work.
  • Supervising, auditing, or giving service in accountancy, except occasional internal auditing.
  • Cutting or polishing precious or semi-precious stones.
  • Haircutting, hairdressing, or beautification.
  • Cloth weaving by hand.
  • Mat weaving or making utensils from reed, rattan, jute, hay, or bamboo.
  • Making rice paper by hand.
  • Lacquer work.
  • Making Thai musical instruments.
  • Niello work.
  • Goldsmith, silversmith, or gold-and-copper alloy smith work.
  • Stone work.
  • Making Thai dolls.
  • Making mattresses or quilts.
  • Making alms bowls.
  • Making silk products by hand.
  • Making Buddha images.
  • Knife making.
  • Making paper or cloth umbrellas.
  • Making shoes.
  • Making hats.
  • Brokerage or agency except in international trading.
  • Professional civil engineering concerning design and calculation, systemization, analysis, planning, testing, construction supervision, or consulting services, excluding work

requiring specialized techniques.

• Professional architectural work concerning design, drawing-making, cost estimation, or consulting services.
  • Dressmaking.
  • Pottery.
  • Cigarette rolling by hand.
  • Tour guiding or conducting.
  • Hawking of goods.
  • Thai typesetting by hand.
  • Unwinding and twisting silk by hand.
  • Clerical or secretarial work.
  • Providing legal services or engaging in legal work (except arbitration work sand work relating to defense of cases at arbitration level, provided the law governing the dispute

under consideration by the arbitrators is not Thai law)s

• Like 1

Disgraceful. ...

I think the general consensus was that Michelle (who is my lawyer BTW), was far more competent for this role than any of the Aussies in Phuket.

Maybe that's what you mean by 'disgraceful' :)

You base that on opinion or knowledge that not one aussie was qualified enough because I find that hard to believe.

Anyway, let's see how she likes the late night phone calls to come down the police station or to look at the maimed motorcycle victims and contact their next of kin of their death.

Disgraceful. ...

You base that on opinion or knowledge that not one aussie was qualified enough because I find that hard to believe.

Anyway, let's see how she likes the late night phone calls to come down the police station or to look at the maimed motorcycle victims and contact their next of kin of their death.

"Anyway, let's see how she likes the late night phone calls to come down the police station" - I'm sure she will enjoy heading down to the police station, late at night, business card in hand. biggrin.png

Disgraceful. ...

"I think the general consensus was that Michelle (who is my lawyer BTW)" - isn't practicing law an occuption restricted for Thai's only?

Surely the newly appointed Honorary Australian Consul wouldn't be breaching Thai labour Laws, would she? :)

Under the Alien Employment Act, the following occupations are closed to foreigners and is reserved for Thai nationals only:

• Labor work except labor work in fishing boats under the next category below.
  • Agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery, except work requiring specialized knowledge, farm supervision, or labor work in fishing boats, particularly marine fishery.
  • Bricklaying, carpentry, or other construction work.
  • Wood carving.
  • Driving motor vehicles or vehicles which do not use machinery or mechanical devices, except piloting international aircraft.
  • Front shop sale.
  • Auction sale work.
  • Supervising, auditing, or giving service in accountancy, except occasional internal auditing.
  • Cutting or polishing precious or semi-precious stones.
  • Haircutting, hairdressing, or beautification.
  • Cloth weaving by hand.
  • Mat weaving or making utensils from reed, rattan, jute, hay, or bamboo.
  • Making rice paper by hand.
  • Lacquer work.
  • Making Thai musical instruments.
  • Niello work.
  • Goldsmith, silversmith, or gold-and-copper alloy smith work.
  • Stone work.
  • Making Thai dolls.
  • Making mattresses or quilts.
  • Making alms bowls.
  • Making silk products by hand.
  • Making Buddha images.
  • Knife making.
  • Making paper or cloth umbrellas.
  • Making shoes.
  • Making hats.
  • Brokerage or agency except in international trading.
  • Professional civil engineering concerning design and calculation, systemization, analysis, planning, testing, construction supervision, or consulting services, excluding work

requiring specialized techniques.

• Professional architectural work concerning design, drawing-making, cost estimation, or consulting services.
  • Dressmaking.
  • Pottery.
  • Cigarette rolling by hand.
  • Tour guiding or conducting.
  • Hawking of goods.
  • Thai typesetting by hand.
  • Unwinding and twisting silk by hand.
  • Clerical or secretarial work.
  • Providing legal services or engaging in legal work (except arbitration work sand work relating to defense of cases at arbitration level, provided the law governing the dispute

under consideration by the arbitrators is not Thai law)s

Well, she is married to a Thai man (Thai Lawyer) I believe so she probably just his "paralegal" if ever checked upon. Edited by hansgruber

I'm sure Michelle knows exactly what duties (pleasant and unpleasant) she'll have to perform.

BTW, I also applied for that role, but appointing a 'pommy' as the Honorary Con was apparently a step too far cheesy.gif

Maybe I could apply. How to go about it?

Well, given her young age, and the fact that she is married to a Thai - I can't see the position becoming available for around another 20 years. :)

• Like 1

I'm sure Michelle knows exactly what duties (pleasant and unpleasant) she'll have to perform.

BTW, I also applied for that role, but appointing a 'pommy' as the Honorary Con was apparently a step too far cheesy.gif

Maybe you could apply for the honorary French position Edited by Bogan Koori
  • Like 1

This is the criteria for the Honorary Consul position:

The Australian Embassy Bangkok invites applications for the position of Australia’s Honorary Consul, based in Phuket, with consular responsibility for the provinces of Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga.

On behalf of the Australian Embassy, Bangkok, the Honorary Consul will:

- Provide consular assistance to Australians in relation to their welfare, whereabouts, arrest, imprisonment, repatriation, hospitalisation, evacuation or death,

- Provide passport services to Australians, and;

- Provide other services as set out in the selection criteria.

Qualification

- Should be an Australian citizen, although non-Australians who meet all other selection criteria will be considered;

- Should be a long term resident of Phuket and intend to reside in Phuket for at least a further two years;

- Should have good interpersonal skills, good judgement and a strong ability to deal sensitively with Australian citizens in need and to handle personal information with care and discretion.

- Should have sufficient time to perform the functions listed above and in the selection criteria.

- Should have a good standing in, access to and influence with the political, bureaucratic, commercial and media community of Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga.

- Should possess office accommodation of an appropriate standard and location for the representation of Australia's interests with English-speaking support staff.

- Be of independent means so that the applicant is not financially dependent on the honorarium and allowance for incidental expenses provided by the Australian Government;

- Should meet the other criteria specified in the selection criteria.

Applications close at 4.30 PM, Wednesday, 18 September 2013.

I thought about applying, for about 3 seconds, and I'm sure many other qualified Australians would also have been put off by the demands of the position.

About 50 Australians die in Phuket every year., It would take an exceptional person to covert an unpaid job where you are called out at all times of the day or night to assist grieving friends and relatives of the deceased.

And who really wants to butt heads with, and make enemies of, corrupt and intransient senior government officials and police?

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

The Australian Embassy Bangkok invites applications for the position of Australia’s Honorary Consul, based in Phuket, with consular responsibility for the provinces of Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga.

- Provide consular assistance to Australians in relation to their welfare, whereabouts, arrest, imprisonment, repatriation, hospitalisation, evacuation or death,

Qualification

- Should be an Australian citizen, although non-Australians who meet all other selection criteria will be considered;

- Should be a long term resident of Phuket and intend to reside in Phuket for at least a further two years;

- Should have good interpersonal skills, good judgement and a strong ability to deal sensitively with Australian citizens in need and to handle personal information with care and discretion.

- Should have sufficient time to perform the functions listed above and in the selection criteria.

- Should have a good standing in, access to and influence with the political, bureaucratic, commercial and media community of Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga.

- Should possess office accommodation of an appropriate standard and location for the representation of Australia's interests with English-speaking support staff.

- Be of independent means so that the applicant is not financially dependent on the honorarium and allowance for incidental expenses provided by the Australian Government;

I thought about applying, for about 3 seconds, and I'm sure many other qualified Australians would also have been put off by the demands of the position.

About 50 Australians die in Phuket every year., It would take an exceptional person to covert an unpaid job where you are called out at all times of the day or night to assist grieving friends and relatives of the deceased.

And who really wants to butt heads with and make enemies of corrupt and intransient senior government officials and police?

"It would take an exceptional person to covert an unpaid job" - from memory, when Larry resigned, there was a small renumeration attached to the position.

It was around $8000AUD per year.

Qualification

And who really wants to butt heads with and make enemies of corrupt and intransient senior government officials and police?

"It would take an exceptional person to covert an unpaid job" - from memory, when Larry resigned, there was a small renumeration attached to the position.

The position is unpaid hence the term Honorary.

The position does come with a small stipend (from my memory $5,000) to cover office expenses.

Qualification

The position is unpaid hence the term Honorary.

The position does come with a small stipend (from my memory $5,000) to cover office expenses.

$5000 or $8000 - whatever.

The money is hers to do with as she pleases. So, it is not really an "unpaid job."

The money is to cover expenses related to the job. Office supplies, fuel, whatever. Extra costs brought about from doing the position. An allowance for those having trouble with the concept. The job is unpaid.

Look up stipend.

If her phone does not ring one time in the year - she still get "paid" the "stipend" (for your benefit) - she can spend it on clothes, alcohol - whatever.

It's a payment - simple as that.

She doesn't have to submit reciepts for office supplies in order to receive the money.

The money is to cover expenses related to the job. Office supplies, fuel, whatever. Extra costs brought about from doing the position. An allowance for those having trouble with the concept. The job is unpaid.

Look up stipend.

If her phone does not ring one time in the year - she still get "paid" the "stipend" (for your benefit) - she can spend it on clothes, alcohol - whatever.

She doesn't have to submit reciepts for office supplies in order to receive the money.

It's in the requirements the applicant has an office and staff. 250000 baht a year wouldn't cover the wages

Look up stipend.

It's in the requirements the applicant has an office and staff. 250000 baht a year wouldn't cover the wages

I never suggested it was big money.

When OC said it was an "unpaid job" - for me, that is not quite correct.

There is a small renumeration involved with the position. Yes, it's stated that it is to cover office supplies etc, however, in reality, the money can be used for anything, as long as the job gets done.

This means, there is no misappropriation of the money. It is hers to do as she pleases.

Any small guest house owner would have an office, and his missus and her relatives would be the 4 Thai's he must employ to get his work permit.

The office, work permit, and employing of staff would not be a huge hurdle to overcome, if you had a small business here.