Doing Work Without A Permit!

Beachcomber

We’ve all heard the stories of people getting in to serious trouble with immigration, big fines even deportation, for “working” without a permit.

I’m not talking about taking on a job but just doing odd jobs and helping out with the bar or small restaurant or what ever that is in your partners name.

The kind of thing I’m thinking of is putting up shelves doing some electrical or plumbing work, painting or maybe just clearing up glasses wiping down tables or even just sweeping the floor.

Has anyone had any first hand experience getting into trouble for doing these kind of things?

In Farang land if your wife/gf had a business, especially one you had paid for, helping out when you could would be quite natural. Same if you visit “the family” you would help out with their business if they had one even do some jobs round the house or garden if needed.

Does not seem to be the same here in the land of smiles. While most locals perhaps would not care too much to see a Farang doing odd jobs there is always the lurking jealousy of neighbors and business competitors. Or maybe even the GF wanting to get rid of BF now that he has set her up very nicely with her own bar.

Same question goes for doing work round the house. How much can you do round the house?

OK while inside it would be difficult for anyone to prove you were actually doing anything. But if you were to fix up additional exterior lights or plant some flowers, mow or water the lawn, washing the car?

Has any one had problems getting caught doing these kind of things?

Thanks

Beachcomber.

There was a thing I read in the Phuket Gazette a couple of years ago.

A few farang bar owners had been arrested for drinking in their bars with customers

This was considered "working" ?

It was a bit strange as it was in Kamala , I think , and the BiB had come up

from Chalong.

:o

Doing DIY, jobs around the house is not considered work.

Doing anything in a bar, including collecting glasses is considered work and would be treated as such.

What if the house is rented – not yours?

Or the in-laws house, would that still be classified as “not work”?

What if the house is in the GF/wife’s name?

:o

We’ve all heard the stories of people getting in to serious trouble with immigration, big fines even deportation, for “working” without a permit.

I’m not talking about taking on a job but just doing odd jobs and helping out with the bar or small restaurant or what ever that is in your partners name.

The kind of thing I’m thinking of is putting up shelves doing some electrical or plumbing work, painting or maybe just clearing up glasses wiping down tables or even just sweeping the floor.

Has anyone had any first hand experience getting into trouble for doing these kind of things?

In Farang land if your wife/gf had a business, especially one you had paid for, helping out when you could would be quite natural. Same if you visit “the family” you would help out with their business if they had one even do some jobs round the house or garden if needed.

Does not seem to be the same here in the land of smiles. While most locals perhaps would not care too much to see a Farang doing odd jobs there is always the lurking jealousy of neighbors and business competitors. Or maybe even the GF wanting to get rid of BF now that he has set her up very nicely with her own bar.

Same question goes for doing work round the house. How much can you do round the house?

OK while inside it would be difficult for anyone to prove you were actually doing anything. But if you were to fix up additional exterior lights or plant some flowers, mow or water the lawn, washing the car?

Has any one had problems getting caught doing these kind of things?

Thanks

Beachcomber.

:D sounds like you are very handy..i/e plumber,electrican,landscaper..from my experience in Thailand unless you are doing it for free with BLIND NOT-JEALOUS,neighbors?? :o:D

BE CAREFUL..dont trust anybody!!!JEALOUSY is what you will find..IMHO