Ringo Starr set for new album, tour of Americas

webfact

Ringo Starr set for new album, tour of Americas

NEW YORK (AFP) - Ex-Beatle Ringo Starr is set for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but first he plans a new album and tour of the United States and Latin America.

The drummer for the Fab Four announced on Thursday the release of his 18th studio album, "Postcards from Paradise," on March 31.

The release comes just before Starr, who is already in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Beatles, is inducted in his own right at an April 18 ceremony in Cleveland.

Starr plans a one-month tour starting on February 13 in the southern US state of Louisiana, with about half the concerts taking place in Latin America.

Starr will play two dates each in Brazil and Mexico, as well as one show each in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.

The 74-year-old songwriter said he enjoyed past performances in Latin America.

"The audiences were just great and so loving, we can’t wait to go back," he said.

Starr will be joined by his "All Starr Band" of other prominent musicians including Richard Page, who fronted the 1980s pop band Mr. Mister, former Toto guitarist Steve Lukather and Gregg Bissonette, a drummer for heavy metal guitarists Steve Vai and Joe Satriani.

Starr’s new album comes as the other surviving Beatle, Paul McCartney, is also productive, releasing surprise collaborations in recent weeks with rapper Kanye West and pop singer Rihanna.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-30

You can argue about his musicianship all you want, I think he is grossly underrated, but his live concerts are as good as they get. The man knows how to surround himself with the best of musicians and let his winning personality take over from there. Ringos's live concerts are a joy to attend because his own joy for performing is infectious.

Not even the best drummer in the Beatles so the joke goes.

Get a new jokebook - the reality is, Ringo swung hard like no other drummer at the time.

He was known as the best drummer in Liverpool ...that's why they got him in the band !

There were more skilled players such as Mitch Mitchell, John Bonham, etc, etc but no one had that compelling straight ahead Ringo swing

You can argue about his musicianship all you want, I think he is grossly underrated, but his live concerts are as good as they get. The man knows how to surround himself with the best of musicians and let his winning personality take over from there. Ringos's live concerts are a joy to attend because his own joy for performing is infectious.

I agree that he is good in concert and those great Beatles' songs and ones on the two videos above did not hurt anything. Ringo actually wrote "It don't Come Easy" himself.

The line, "Not even the best drummer in the Beatles", was attributed to John and Paul McCartney was the other drummer that he was referring to. McCartney substituted for Ringo several times on Beatles' songs and played drums on his own solo LPs. He was strong on bass, keyboards, guitar and as a singer and writer. The people who used to work for the Beatles in the studio always claimed that Paul was the best musician in the group.

• Like 2

I think he's going broke. Read somewhere that he put a pricey piece of property up for sale in the past month.

Broke would be relative, of course, don't expect him to be living on 50k baht/month in Pattaya.

Edited by bendejo

I think he's going broke. Read somewhere that he put a pricey piece of property up for sale in the past month.

Broke would be relative, of course, don't expect him to be living on 50k baht/month in Pattaya.

Agreed.

It's all about money... as usual.

Agreed.

Broke,, dont make me laugh,

I'm teaching myself keyboard on a Mini-Moog, and I can't keep a beat very well.

But experienced drummers have said Ringo can't keep a beat, either. I think it's called "swinging" the beat. Do it too much and it makes the listener "seasick".

All I know is he ain't no Buddy Rich. Man, that cat could bang the skins...

Agreed.

Broke,, dont make me laugh,

I did read somewhere he is down to his last 300 million quid.

Did you know Ringo was the first of the Beatles to score 8 top ten hits in the U.S.A. Not bad for someone with no talent.

I'm teaching myself keyboard on a Mini-Moog, and I can't keep a beat very well.

But experienced drummers have said Ringo can't keep a beat, either. I think it's called "swinging" the beat. Do it too much and it makes the listener "seasick".

All I know is he ain't no Buddy Rich. Man, that cat could bang the skins...

When the album Revolver came out, the joke going around was "hey, they got a real drummer to play on this one."