Thai transport fines cabbie trying to overcharge Japanese businessman

webfact

OMG blink.png Only a fine rolleyes.gif Amazing Thailand whistling.gif

Fined and banned from picking up passengers at the airport.

Do you want him hanged or something?

Your words.

Is this really all a bit of a storm in a Teacup yer reckon? So many bad things going on in this world today.

hehehe perhaps he should be ordered to work exclusively out of Thong Lor, attend compulsory Japanese language Classes, eat Yaki Soba for lunch daily, recalibrate his meter to Yen, and replace the 'I Love Farang' sign stuck on his back window with 'I Love Ippun'

if he refuses, then hang him.

What would be nice is if the two of them could be gotten together publicly to apologise to each other, bow and wai, smile, shake hands, no hard feelings.

Both cultures are up for it. Why not.

Well not quite, but stop punishing him when he stops telling lies, because I don't believe he deducted 40 baht from the final fare!

I used to hail taxis on Sukhumvit in the mornings right at the Nana BTS escalator near soi 8. I'd wave one down, wait for him to roll to a stop, and then calmly turn around and walk up the escalators.

I think turn around is fair play. If a taxi driver is going to honk his ass off at me while I'm walking the opposite direction or waiting at a cross walk, or stalk me on a tiny soi, or quote me 300 baht to get from A to B when I know it's 60 baht to get from A to B, then I find no problem with a little fun of my own. tongue.png

Problem is it is only a minority who cheat, your actions are just going to get more taxi drivers pissed off, and more of them will think it only fair to cheat...

Or one day one of them will remember you...

Agree with the earlier posting that if the flagfall was set at 75 Bt then the meter has been adjusted, can't see too many drivers bothering to do this for a measly 40 Bt on each journey. If he did indeed refund the 40 Bt then it was probably because the passenger never noticed how fast the meter was running.

As much as I can't stand these thieving scum, I am also aware of a scale of justice appropriate to specific crimes.

In fact the punishment was a fine and a ban from airport pickups.

What do you suggest, chemical castration?

Hey that is same guy who tried to rip me off until I pulled out my wallet to pay and he saw my US Marshall badge glaring at him.

Doubt he even knows who US marshals are!

ฺBut what a load of BS on your end! Its 'Marshals' not marshalls. You're making stuff up!

<deleted>, have a sense of humor

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hey that is same guy who tried to rip me off until I pulled out my wallet to pay and he saw my US Marshall badge glaring at him.

Yeah, Thai taxi drivers are all familiar with a US marshalls badge and they can of course all read the English lettering.

Actually, the op states that he is a retired Master Sargent and so would almost certainly be able to read English.

As much as I can't stand these thieving scum, I am also aware of a scale of justice appropriate to specific crimes.

In fact the punishment was a fine and a ban from airport pickups.

What do you suggest, chemical castration?

Too late... he's probably already had offspring. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Funny how those taxi meters only gradually manage to malfunction. My trip between home and work cost 53 baht five years ago for a 5 km trip. Gradually, it has increased to 55, 57, 59, and, now has started to tip over at 61 baht. While the distance has grown (usually) to 5.4 km. Proof of the expanding universe, right here in Thailand.

Wow, an 8 baht increase over 5 years, should we organise a whip round for you? Traffic congestion would easily account for that huge increase.

I often wonder about the sad, bitter and lonely lives I see exhibited on this board. I make an utterly neutral comment, and you feel compelled to grunt out a personal insult. Over nothing. A friend of mine who looks in on this board occasionally always tells me the comments go down in quality the longer the day goes by and the bars stay open.

Funny how those taxi meters only gradually manage to malfunction. My trip between home and work cost 53 baht five years ago for a 5 km trip. Gradually, it has increased to 55, 57, 59, and, now has started to tip over at 61 baht. While the distance has grown (usually) to 5.4 km. Proof of the expanding universe, right here in Thailand.

Don't ya think you're splitting hairs there a little bit? Get a grip man.

Ever stop to think that this isn't about you and it isn't about me. It's about the average taxi customer--who happens to be Thai. For them, being robbed of an extra 8 baht (20 baht for the longer round trip back) per day just might be a significant impact over a month. You need at least to try and see the world through the eyes of others. Several threads in the past have addressed this matter. It's always the little expat prigs who can only see the (crooked) taxi side and who are utterly blind to the impact on somebody pushing along for around 10-15k per month.

Silly comment. To those who know, a pathetic fine and being banned from the airport simply means he will go elsewhere to scam other tourists and unsuspecting visitors (like yourself, perhaps).

People who have been here a while would like these scammers punished enough to make them change their ways, that's all.