Can't afford to live in Thailand anymore

theguyfromanotherforum

But what's really eating into budget: School fees. If you have many children it is getting so expensive while in Germany it's absolutely free, on a higher level.

Government school is free in Thailand too and a very small cost for foreign children.

Now if you want to compare private schools in Germany and Thailand, I suspect Thailand will be cheaper.

As for German government schools being on a higher level, just try one where 30% of the kids are from Syria.

Private schools are cheaper in Germany. You don't think that, me neither. Also, the whole "private school" sector isn't that established. The gov schools have high reputation. You can easily go to a gov school and then to a gov university and get bachelor/master and they want to get you as employee everywhere in the world because of the quality. And then you compare it to the miserable education in Thailand. Yeah, yeah.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what's really eating into budget: School fees. If you have many children it is getting so expensive while in Germany it's absolutely free, on a higher level.

Government school is free in Thailand too and a very small cost for foreign children.

Now if you want to compare private schools in Germany and Thailand, I suspect Thailand will be cheaper.

As for German government schools being on a higher level, just try one where 30% of the kids are from Syria.

Private schools are cheaper in Germany. You don't think that, me neither. Also, the whole "private school" sector isn't that established. The gov schools have high reputation. You can easily go to a gov school and then to a gov university and get bachelor/master and they want to get you as employee everywhere in the world because of the quality. And then you compare it to the miserable education in Thailand. Yeah, yeah.

You're living in the past, Germany and it's schools aren't like you remember any more.

I am Canadian and find it is still cheaper in thailand. Try and live in Canada on the same budget as Thailand and you will find it impossible. Bottles water is 2 dollars or 52 baht now. The baht is still good. I used to get 18 to the dollar for years. Also the dollar will be up by the end of the year when oil goes back up to $70, Canadian dollar is oil based.

Cell phone costs in Canada run over $300 a month thats pushing 10,00 baht for most every one I know there it is all on contract with the companies and need to sign up for 1 to 3 year terms. A minimum monthly payment plus time used.but phone is free.

Whilst I agree that one can live more cheaply in Thailand than most Western countries, I'm incredulous that mobile 'phone charges in Canada are close to 10,000 bht p.m.! Is that really true??!

Using bottled water is not a good argument either, assuming tap water is safe to drink in Canada.

After four years I would have to say for me anyway...

Electricity here is much cheaper.

Eating out at restaurants is much cheaper

Housing is a wash as we own our home back where we came from

& we own our condo here ( actually just sold as we decided to move back for a few years)

But yes housing here is 3x cheaper than where I hail from at least

But other than that I would have to say freedom is much cheaper here

I also think if most are honest this is what attracts them ( well for single guys I am sure girls are high on list but I am married) smile.png

But yes freedom here is cheaper...

Freedom from taxes

Freedom from Nanny States

Freedom from excessive cops on roads laying in wait to ticket you etc

( But of course this has a high cost with Thailand roads being 2nd most dangerous in world)

I don't know about others but it is not so much prices that I love about Thailand as much as the freedoms

& the Thai people I also enjoy very very much.

Thai people IMHO are just basically nice (yes put them behind tinted windows & a steering wheel & that changes a bunch) But overall great nice people. For me a joy to live with

& interact with. I love having conversations with them & they are always so curious about where I am from how we lived there, what we ate etc.etc.

So yes I have not found Thailand too expensive Financially.

But like any place of course it has its good & bad points.

But as far as I can tell prices was not one of them...yet anyways & I am not a rich person per se'

Word. The freedom. The freedom this country gives oneself is rarely and sadly diminishing but will be still there forever because the mentality/culture is different than our subservient to authority.

You think the Thais aren't subservient when faced with someone in authority? They are even more obsequious than us Westerners in our home countries when having to deal with police/'important' people!

But I'm nit-picking as I enjoy the way pointless rules/laws here are generally ignored.

But I'm nit-picking as I enjoy the way pointless rules/laws here are generally ignored.

Don't worry... Here in Thailand, even the important and meaningful laws are generally ignored as well -- unless it has something to do with the NCPO, or the person breaking the law isn't Thai.

Don't worry... Here in Thailand, even the important and meaningful laws are generally ignored as well -- unless it has something to do with the NCPO, or the person breaking the law isn't Thai.

Which is why I was specific about pointless rules/laws.

Although now I'm (reasonably) used to the Thai way of driving, I'm far less bothered than when I first came here. I'm used to it - and expect it.

No doubt this will come back to bite me in the bum when I'm killed in a road accident laugh.png !

NCPO rules and the way foreigners can be treated far more ruthlessly when incidents occur, goes without saying.

Please compare the same. Have you seen the school in Thailand? this is a terrible lack of sanitation. A training program?
Higher education in Germany can give the work in many countries. Where to take after thai? What income can provide the Thai education? The quality of education is the achievement in science. Where Thais?
Engineers from Germany with income 40-130K euros met i many place over the world.
So compare simmular.
PSYou suspect Thailand will be cheaper?
Ok tell me how much need spend to Children in Thailand get engineering degree which internation Company in many country and can give 40-130k euros income?

I am Canadian and find it is still cheaper in thailand. Try and live in Canada on the same budget as Thailand and you will find it impossible. Bottles water is 2 dollars or 52 baht now. The baht is still good. I used to get 18 to the dollar for years. Also the dollar will be up by the end of the year when oil goes back up to $70, Canadian dollar is oil based.

Cell phone costs in Canada run over $300 a month thats pushing 10,00 baht for most every one I know there it is all on contract with the companies and need to sign up for 1 to 3 year terms. A minimum monthly payment plus time used.but phone is free.

Whilst I agree that one can live more cheaply in Thailand than most Western countries, I'm incredulous that mobile 'phone charges in Canada are close to 10,000 bht p.m.! Is that really true??!

Using bottled water is not a good argument either, assuming tap water is safe to drink in Canada.

most Western coutry?

Can you tell this is coutry?

And type life..

PC

Lovelomsak...

Say not TRUE... About water I give price its can easy find in internet..

about mobile phone...

also easy can find in entenet..

in Thailand i am use near 5 gb per month and domestic calls its cost me near 25k per year 4-6 time i go out Thailand per year. near 300 B per day internet in rouming + 20-60B per min call to traveling country or back call to Thailand

so its cost me near 15000B

Phone what can get free in Canada when you take cotract 2 year in Thailand cost 14-20k

so total 2 year used

Thailand 25000+15000= 40000*2= 80000 + 20000=100000K B

Canada

Phone free..

105Cad per month

unlimited call in Canada

Unlimited massege

5GB Data

Rouming in many coutry:

Data included in monthly fees(105CAD)

calling worldwide not more 10Cad per day not more 100CAD per month..

so total if I use in Canada be same as in Thailand.

105*24= 2520CAD

and rouming near 600 CAD

total 3120 CAD

Not see big difference...

Where in Thailand Cheap?

Edited by ardokano

most Western coutry?

Can you tell this is coutry?

And type life..

PC

Lovelomsak...

Say not TRUE... About water I give price its can easy find in internet..

about mobile phone...

also easy can find in entenet..

in Thailand i am use near 5 gb per month and domestic calls its cost me near 25k per year 4-6 time i go out Thailand per year. near 300 B per day internet in rouming + 20-60B per min call to traveling country or back call to Thailand

so its cost me near 15000B

Phone what can get free in Canada when you take cotract 2 year in Thailand cost 14-20k

so total 2 year used

Thailand 25000+15000= 40000*2= 80000 + 20000=100000K B

Canada

Phone free..

105Cad per month

unlimited call in Canada

Unlimited massege

5GB Data

Rouming in many coutry:

Data included in monthly fees(105CAD)

calling worldwide not more 10Cad per day not more 100CAD per month..

so total if I use in Canada be same as in Thailand.

105*24= 2520CAD

and rouming near 600 CAD

total 3120 CAD

Not see big difference...

Where in Thailand Cheap?

Sorry, but I understand pretty much nothing of this post sad.png .

I think you're saying that International internet roaming is more expensive in Thailand than Canada?

Interesting. I've been back in my home country(US) for a while and doing some comparisons. I think most consumer prices are similar. Maybe a hair bit cheaper in the US due to WalMart. Only thing that in cheap in Thailand is the LOW monthly rent for studio apartments and the cheap restaurants. In the US I can't find any apartment for less than about $300 a month(10,000 baht) anywhere. But I can find good studio apartments for less than $150 a month in Thai. You can even find rooms for $50 a month in Thai still. So for me, Thai is still a bargain in the accomodation department. It's actually much for affordable to live in Thai for me. I've been priced out of my own country.

I find it hard to believe any such cheap apartments could still be found in the US, even if we're talking a bad neighborhood. How long has it been since you've compared prices? I'm fairly certain $600-800 would be the bare minimum these days and that doesn't get you very much.

However, let's compare apples and apples here, not apples and oranges.

In Thailand, basic, dormitory style apartments with only one room and no kitchen, where you are forced to wash your clothes downstairs using a shared washing machine or use a laundry service can start from as little as 1500-2000 Baht a month for a fan room, or 2000-3000 with air-con + utilities costs.

In the US, the minimum standard of apartment will surely include a basic kitchen at the very least but unless you share with other roommates, $300 a month is totally unrealistic.

On the other hand, western style apartments in Bangkok routinely cost from 12000-15000 a month at the minimum for a studio or one bedroom, which will include a small kitchen and washing machine or separate laundry room (though usually it's located in the kitchen), while 2-3 bedrooms can cost quite a lot, perhaps more than in the States.

Milk is also way overpriced in Thailand. A 2L bottle is fixed at A$2 in Australian supermarkets, which equates to about 52-53 Baht. In Thailand, when you can find a 2L bottle of milk (not very common) it will cost a whopping 91-95 Baht. And no, I'm not talking about imported milk, this is Thai produced milk. An 830mL bottle will cost around 42-50 Baht.

Not sure why in such a "cheap" country, milk costs virtually double the price of Australia.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I think you're saying that International internet roaming is more expensive in Thailand than Canada?

I say used mobile phone as me its be near cost ..

And yes, Data rouming I see its be much cheaper ( its uncluded in monthly fees in Canada)

and rouming call too if you call more than 10 min per day rouming in Europe as example..

Edited by ardokano

Another poster hit the nail on the head, rents in particular are cheaper here - but the rented house will not have the luxuries (or even safety standards) we are used to back in the West.

So yes, its cheaper and more pleasant - as long as you are happy to accept lower standards.

Personally, yes I am - but the power cuts and fluctuations (not to mention the difficulty in getting things earthed) still annoy the hell out of me!

And yes, Data rouming I see its be much cheaper ( its uncluded in monthly fees in Canada)

and rouming call too if you call more than 10 min per day rouming in Europe as example..

OK and I didn't mean to be offensive as its obviously v difficult to communicate in a foreign language.

Why would anyone include this as part of a monthly package unless its due to work, and then the company will pay?

Edit - and I still don't believe that ordinary mobile phone costs in Canada are around 10,000 bht p.m.!

Edited by dick dasterdly

Another poster hit the nail on the head, rents in particular are cheaper here - but the rented house will not have the luxuries (or even safety standards) we are used to back in the West.

So yes, its cheaper and more pleasant - as long as you are happy to accept lower standards.

Personally, yes I am - but the power cuts and fluctuations (not to mention the difficulty in getting things earthed) still annoy the hell out of me!

I rent an apartment in downtown Bangkok, for approximately a quarter of what I paid for one in a more far-flung area of London. In addition to being in a more central area, it's also considerably bigger than my London abode, and offers features such as a large balcony, swimming pool, air conditioning, 24 hour security, an additional bathroom, that my previous address lacked.

I don't think I'm accepting lower standards.

I rent an apartment in downtown Bangkok, for approximately a quarter of what I paid for one in a more far-flung area of London. In addition to being in a more central area, it's also considerably bigger than my London abode, and offers features such as a large balcony, swimming pool, air conditioning, 24 hour security, an additional bathroom, that my previous address lacked.

"swimming pool, air conditioning, 24 hour security",yes these things are necessary in london

"an additional bathroom" yes you shit more in thailand

Why I suspect that is surrounded by 500 meters of the your appertments see stinky as a minimum.Well, or even the from street food seller large patches of oil on their stoves on the sidewalk and piles of garbage.
Soundproofing may be missing from the neighbors
I'm not talking about the windows with double glazing.
but I could be wrong.
I watched apartments for rent 7 years ago. Bangkok.
Maybe it can change something for this is years
About the private house with brick walls, I generally keep quiet. they are?

I feel as if I'm getting into arguments with you - and that is not my intention!

I have said all along that rental charges are a lot cheaper in Thailand. You live in Bangkok so its quite possible that your apartment has all the mod cons (and safety standards) expected in the West. I live on Phuket and much as I appreciate that the rental cost is a fraction of what it would cost in the West, the house itself is nowhere near Western standards, neither are the safety standards. Suffice to say, I wear rubber flip-flops when touching anything electrical and can't use more than one high-powered appliance at a time in the same room!

Not that I'm complaining, because I love where I live despite the safety concerns and poor design.

You seen unfamiliar with the term 'luxury'.

I guess its you..

In Thailand luxury highest cost than in London..

"Luxury" minimum this is the highest standard..

if you flat in with not have ground electricity or even electric light switch is not connected to an active phase, stains hermetic glue vestebyule, irregularly glued tiles... and end etc..

"Luxury"..

So may be You Thai guy?cheesy.gif

Edited by ardokano

I guess its you..

if you flat in with not have ground electricity or even electric light switch is not connected to an active phase, stains hermetic glue vestebyule, irregularly glued tiles... and end etc..

"Luxury"..

I'm sure you have something interesting to say, but your posts are entirely incomprehensible.

Milk is also way overpriced in Thailand. A 2L bottle is fixed at A$2 in Australian supermarkets, which equates to about 52-53 Baht. In Thailand, when you can find a 2L bottle of milk (not very common) it will cost a whopping 91-95 Baht. And no, I'm not talking about imported milk, this is Thai produced milk. An 830mL bottle will cost around 42-50 Baht.

Not sure why in such a "cheap" country, milk costs virtually double the price of Australia.

Maybe it's way under-priced in Oz due to government subsidies to the dairy industry.

OK and I didn't mean to be offensive as its obviously v difficult to communicate in a foreign language.

Why would anyone include this as part of a monthly package unless its due to work, and then the company will pay?

Edit - and I still don't believe that ordinary mobile phone costs in Canada are around 10,000 bht p.m.!

No problems..

My english very poor..

I do not know WHY but its fact( may be becouse many Canadian traveling and Company make it package)

About 10,000 Bht per month..

I guess guy say it .. i see come TOP data package for 375CAD per month..

but why talk about TOP.

Why he not say about data package 75CAD with 4GB and free iPhone?

24 month its be 1875CAD

or Iphone 6+ 24 month 4gb per month its 2125CAD

how much its iphone 6SE(6) + 24 month 4GB per month in Thailand cost?thumbsup.gif

I guess it be near price or even highest in Thailandrolleyes.gif

I guess its you..

"Luxury"..

I'm sure you have something interesting to say, but your posts are entirely incomprehensible.

show me any particular Luxury thing. which is cheaper in Thailand than in UK.

Or even not Luxury.

I Show many example in past.

You.. Guys who say in Thailand cheapest life ...

And do not recognize that it may be different. But not with the facts.

I guess its you..

"Luxury"..

Or even not Luxury.

Sorry - I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not going to waste my time attempting a debate with someone who can't construct a legible sentence in English. I'm sure you're a decent chap with something interesting to say, but your participation on this forum is futile when you lack the ability to express yourself in English.

but I'm not going to waste my time attempting a debate with someone who can't construct a legible sentence in English.

cheesy.gif

You have probably a very limited circle of friends ( people with who you comunicate) in Thailand ..

Just yourself and/or in TV with few guys

cheesy.gif

luxury in Thaifacepalm.gif ...

I have proble in ENGLISH

You- assessment of the situation reality..

Thailand Nice country And

some style life be cheap than another country.

But sure its not western style qality life.

Edited by ardokano

I guess its you..

"Luxury"..

Or even not Luxury.

I entirely agree that good quality/luxury items are a lot more expensive here, and if we want to buy them we're in trouble even finding them.

But when it comes to 'everyday' costs, Thailand is still a lot cheaper as long as one is prepared to accept the lower quality.