Advice Needed for a Visa Run (Phuket to KL or Rangon)

I've ran myself into another problem. I've overstayed due to medical stays in the hospital. Not breathing really sucks the travel out of you. ;-) I had an ED Visa, but I have now overstayed past the 90 day check in and the medical papers are not enough for immigration to let me resolve this in country. After a month of 'let me make a call' and 'let see what we can do, just wait' I've been told, "You've overstayed, you need to leave the country. Apply for a Tourist VISA and come back. "Dear God, you've pushed my fee from 2k to 20K bath for nothing. ok fine," was my silent response.

As I am in a wheelchair I'd like to have my friend come and assist me. I told him to go to Patong (an error on my part?) to get an reentry exemption form as he has a single entry tourist VISA. The told him no and he'd need to wait until his VISA runs out and that's that.

The above is BS in my opinion. I believe my friend, I do not believe immigration was being factual or helpful.

We are 30 days off from being synced up so that our VISAs may be renewed together. This would work out well for me as I need his help traveling. With the overstay I have, would it be better to go to KL once and get the tourist VISA and then go back after 60 days to sync up with my friends cycle, or go to Ranong, pay the overstay fee (Can it be paid there?) and receive a 30 non-exempt VISA stay that I can then add 30 more days to in Phuket Town? I can no longer confirm if the land crossing for someone from the States (USA) is/has been moved up to 30 days or it is still at 15 days. Even if I could not extend it in country for an additional 30 days. Making 2 Ranong trips would be easier on myself.

Any advice would be of great help. Thanks as always,

--Pitts

The best would be for you and your friend to go Penang, not KL, for a single entry tourist visa, as there are direct flights there. Your friend can get a re-entry permit at the airport and then also get the visa to use it later.

If you want a double entry you could go to Vientane or Savannkhet Laos, flying via Bangkok.

The best would be for you and your friend to go Penang, not KL, for a single entry tourist visa, as there are direct flights there. Your friend can get a re-entry permit at the airport and then also get the visa to use it later.

If you want a double entry you could go to Vientane or Savannkhet Laos, flying via Bangkok.

There is a direct flight from Phuket to KL with airasia

Thanks guys. I couldn't find anything convenient for a flight to Laos. There is one flight a day that is direct to Penang, but it's a little pricy vs other flights and it's in the middle of the day. I don't know if I can get my passport/VISA done in 2 days. The flight out is at 2 PM. I think I'd need 3 days total.

Is KL just a bad place to go for a single Tourist VISA? It looks easier to get flights that can be more convenient. What is the story on them (KL)?

Also, anyone have an idea of if the Ranong route is a bad idea all together?

--Pitts

Kuala Lumpur is not the recommended destination for visa in Malaysia. Penang is.

Normally to get to Laos one flies to Udon Thani and then continue to Bus, or there is a an air/bus combination to Mukdahan.

Since you're already on overstay, I do not recommend you count on doing to back-to-back out visa exempt entries.

Documents saying you were under medical care are of no use after the fact. Once you are on overstay they are of no use. You could of gotten an extension for medical care before you went on overstay.

Raynong is not a good choice for doing a border crossing for a visa exempt entry. There have been reports of them not allowing people to leave the country to

get one.

You can get a single entry tourist visa in KL but you should be prepared to show financial proof and a ticket out of the county in case they want to see them. They are not consistent in their. requirements. One person not asked for them and next not.

There is no re-entry exemption form. A re-entry permit can be applied for any permit to stay. If your friend was on a 60 day tourist visa entry and/or the 30 day extension of it he should been able to get a re-entry permit. Perhaps he did not have enough days left on his entry to justify getting a re-entry permit.