Govt officials banned from using work computers after case of lese majeste

Lite Beer

Waiting at Chiang Mai immigration the other day would of been funny if it wasn't so tragic. There were hundreds of people waiting and yet there are the staff playing on their phones, leaving their desks to go and have a chat to their other colleagues that also should of been working (they weren't talking about work, my Thai isn't amazing but I got the jist of what they are talking about) and sitting at their desks staring into blank space. This was in full view of everybody waiting. Amazing.

It took a case of LM to sort this out though in Sa Keaow? That is lunacy in itself. I'll say no more....

ummm new idea........

take everyones phone as they walk into work and put them into a lead lined room,

now no facebbook , personal phone calls ,

calls from "sisters" saying they do not have room keys ,

and all the other things you do on smart phones.....

Then they will have to WORK at WORK...........

and this can be anywhere not just Thailand

This is needed, straight up. Everywhere. All over the World and in most work places. Drives me nuts!

There are MANY places and companies where that is the norm.

• Like 1

Waiting at Chiang Mai immigration the other day would of been funny if it wasn't so tragic. There were hundreds of people waiting and yet there are the staff playing on their phones, leaving their desks to go and have a chat to their other colleagues that also should of been working (they weren't talking about work, my Thai isn't amazing but I got the jist of what they are talking about) and sitting at their desks staring into blank space. This was in full view of everybody waiting. Amazing.

It took a case of LM to sort this out though in Sa Keaow? That is lunacy in itself. I'll say no more....

"Hundreds of people waiting". Somehow, I doubt that number.

ummm new idea........

take everyones phone as they walk into work and put them into a lead lined room,

now no facebbook , personal phone calls ,

calls from "sisters" saying they do not have room keys ,

and all the other things you do on smart phones.....

Then they will have to WORK at WORK...........

and this can be anywhere not just Thailand

This is needed, straight up. Everywhere. All over the World and in most work places. Drives me nuts!

There are MANY places and companies where that is the norm.

Try enforcing it with excavator and dumper drivers!

ARGH!

Ok slight exageration but well over 100. And it doesn't excuse the laziness and incompotece of the staff.

• Like 1

Ok slight exageration but well over 100. And it doesn't excuse the laziness and incompotece of the staff.

Dude I live in Phuket which is the capital of falang land in Thailand. MANY more white people than CM and even with their 2 story office setup they MIGHT reach a hundred people at one time during high season, MIGHT.

But I understand your frustration of how in the middle of doing business they stop to gossip or talk on their phones. If I had my way, cell phones would be banned at any business during work hours for all employees.

• Like 1

I thought I read on the news it was basically banning Facebook and Line for govt officials. It seems to have progressed since yesterday

with the banning of official computers. There was one govt official commenting he used Line to instruct his subordinates.

Guess they won't be doing much next week!

On the bright side I have 3 antique typewriters which will be in much demand now ! Maybe I can hire them out!

I thought I read on the news it was basically banning Facebook and Line for govt officials. It seems to have progressed since yesterday

with the banning of official computers. There was one govt official commenting he used Line to instruct his subordinates.

On the bright side I have 3 antique typewriters which will be in much demand now ! Maybe I can hire them out!

Putting a block on Facebook is actually progress.

"...one of its officials in Sa Kaew province allegedly posted a comment that was deemed as violating the lese majeste law."

It's the "allegedly" part that worries me. Since the press isn't allowed to repeat the words that were allegedly a LM offense, we just have to take the government's word that a crime has been committed. It makes LM the perfect tool for dealing with any troublesome citizen--"That person who was making a stink about corruption and abuse of power? He committed a LM offense so we sent him away for 15 years. No, we won't tell you what his LM offense was."

Putting a block on Facebook is actually progress.

On the other hand I know of one provincial HQ where facebook, private email and other social media plays a large part in their work. The place would grind to a halt without it.

Files and reports are transferred, meetings/conferences organised, important announcements posted. Instant communication cuts waiting time. The list goes on.

Edited by Farma
  • Like 1

Easy way to cut down on computer usage in Government Official's Office's would be to fire around 50% of the staff who do nothing or next to nothing all day and every day whilst waiting for their next paid holiday....which is never very far around the corner. The Civil Service in Thailand is one of the most overloaded in the World and given enough time will bring financial ruin.....as a similar situation in Greece did.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When I read these headlines, I keep having the thought of writing a comedy

book, which would be comprised entirely from headlines on TV. So

government workers can no longer use their computers ?? You simply

could not make this stuff up. I certainly realize the body of the story

is indicating that workers cannot use their work computers for posting LM

messages, but the visual image from the headline is still funny...

So one worker writing something the government does not like, and suddenly

there is a nation wide ban ? Sure hope that some farang does not do

something the government does not like, and the rest of us are deported.....

They are looking very hard at your Blog as we speak.cheesy.gif

......................"Sure hope that some farang does not do

something the government does not like, and the rest of us are deported"..................

Well I sure hope they don't read some of the anti-junta rubbish posted on this forum or we will all be given the flick !

"We are not restricting our officials' rights or liberties. We only want to ensure they won't use state-owned computers to cause any damage," she said.

The order said if any official was found to have committed such an offence via state-owned devices, their supervisors would be held responsible too.

Right..., they just want to put officials in jail for not being able to monitor their employees 24/7. How can anyone do that? The laws and orders coming out every day in this country are getting more and more onerous and draconian. You can see the power getting more and more addicting everyday for those who are not accountable to the public anymore.

And in the spirit of happiness the public can feel good that the country isn't a dictatorship.

I do not think they can no longer use the state owned computers.

They can no longer use the state owned computers for social media.

Good idea, it could increase productivity.

Another good step would prohibit them from using state owned computers to play games too!

The concept of working and not playing may be hard for some to grasp.

I also think making the supervisors responsible for preventing improper use is a good move.

Supervisors may be forced to supervise in order to cover their butts.

Now, to deal with the huge loop hole of using their personal computers and smart phones at work to mess around, will be the next necessary step to make this work.

A friend of mine interviewed some ladies for a vacancy in his office but the most suitable applicant turned to job down as there wasn't a television for her to watch when she had nothing to do.

• Like 1

Maybe they need you to organise them. But before you start your new job, do a study of immigration Jomtien. Busy office, but very efficient staff who work very hard. Very impressive people who maintain their cool and smile despite the backlog of work.

Dude I live in Phuket which is the capital of falang land in Thailand. MANY more white people than CM and even with their 2 story office setup they MIGHT reach a hundred people at one time during high season, MIGHT.

But I understand your frustration of how in the middle of doing business they stop to gossip or talk on their phones. If I had my way, cell phones would be banned at any business during work hours for all employees.

The government should take a tip from Philippines gogo bars. When the girls come to

work, they must put their phones in their lockers, and cannot touch the phone during

their work hours....... This means the girls actually have to work, instead of sending

Line messages to their local boyfriend...

• Like 2

Another good step would prohibit them from using state owned computers to play games too!

I also think making the supervisors responsible for preventing improper use is a good move.

Now, to deal with the huge loop hole of using their personal computers and smart phones at work to mess around, will be the next necessary step to make this work.

A friend of mine interviewed some ladies for a vacancy in his office but the most suitable applicant turned to job down as there wasn't a television for her to watch when she had nothing to do.

I don't blame her. A tv to watch when I am bored is one of the many demands I make when I apply for a job ! cheesy.gif

And a mirror, I must have a mirror !

• Like 1

It is enough!

I will move back to the US and work in a corporation where I cannot use its computer for personal e-mails, use its telephones for personal calls, and search the internet for any world news...and....to have to ask for permission to leave my booth to pee or have a coffee....and..no complaints!

Upsss....I forgot! Sorry.. I can get back and work for the US Government...and stay in home with my own computer and getting paid.

I don't blame her. A tv to watch when I am bored is one of the many demands I make when I apply for a job ! cheesy.gif

And a mirror, I must have a mirror !

clap2.gif

Most countries are like that.

A government -wide ban is placed based on "an alleged lese majeste offence committed early this month." Simplistic and mindless overreaction. Of course no one is allowed to mention any details of the allged incident as that too would be a lese majeste offense, so no one can even learn from the alleged mistake.

As a security measue the government does need to have all its employee electronic access tied into its own VPN that does not allow open internet access, except by expressed permission, ie., senior officers. If employees want to access social media accounts, they need to use their personal electronic devices.

A government -wide ban is placed based on "an alleged lese majeste offence committed early this month." Simplistic and mindless overreaction. Of course no one is allowed to mention any details of the allged incident as that too would be a lese majeste offense, so no one can even learn from the alleged mistake.

As a security measue the government does need to have all its employee electronic access tied into its own VPN that does not allow open internet access, except by expressed permission, ie., senior officers. If employees want to access social media accounts, they need to use their personal electronic devices.

The paranoia level is rising...

This may come as a surprise to you, but in the USA and Europe government have a lots of regulations set up to define the permitted 'private' use of government equipment. Also most private companies has such rules and not conforming can get you dismissed, legally!

The interesting possible loophole seems to be situations where it's BYOD (Bring Your Own Device).

• Like 1

Darker times are ahead and freedoms are now being taken away on a daily basis. So glad I no longer live in the land of coups.

I'm happy for you, and for Thailand.

Enjoy the 'freedom' you may have in the country you reside now, as long as it lasts.