SKRU U-Turn

phuketsub

I hope my fellow Songkhla residents will help me get the following nickname adopted for the first dangerous U-Turn near the entrance of Songkhla Rajabhat University (SKRU): SKRU U-turn.

(a play on words from the vulgar term 'screw you', which seems to be the mindset of most motorists passing through)...wai2.gif

• Like 1

The whole stretch is <deleted>-buddy.

I didnt really notice the Uni-U as I was riding from HY-SKA in the morning. I heard the number of accidents on the U-turn involving students was a real concern to the university. You can see the police white spray paint on the road changing on a daily basis.

A real dangerous turn is the one you would take to Tesco, should you be coming from Nam Kra Chai junction. Drivers with a mission to get shopping just pulling out. I have nearly been on a 120 km/h bonnet flight on more than a few occasions.

Actually, the TSU-Turn (in front of Thaksin University) is the worst, in my opinion. It makes a phenomenal difference in safety during the peak hours when the police direct traffic there.

Another danger is pedestrians ...there are overpasses in front of SKRU and TSU, but not further north where most of the students live. In total, both schools have around 23,000 students and many of them live in dorms and apartments on the other side of the road.

They really need a pedestrian bridge in front of Thanathip apartments to the north, and it would be easy to build one there as it used to be a U-Turn (closed about three years ago) so there are lanes in the middle on both sides where they could work without disrupting traffic...

And why do you think it's dangerous?

One of the things I find maddening about Thailand is they have no idea what a round-about is for and treat it as an intersection, which creates delays that aren't necessary.

But this u-turn isn't all that bad.

Think like a Thai.

Round-abouts! My pet peeve. The big one on Thanon Petkasem works fine (ish), but any of the smaller ones on lesser roads are just free-for-all. People stopping when they go around to give way to straight through traffic, and the bigger or faster you are, the more right of way you have.

My tactic, used also for intersections with stop signs is, if I have the right of way, slow down only to a speed I can stop quickly, stare straight ahead but concentrate on my peripheral vision. If you look at that car, he'll know you see him and will force his way in front. Whenever they honk at me, I point and say "bpai yut, YUT!".

Teaching them, on angry motorist at a time.

And why do you think it's dangerous?

One of the things I find maddening about Thailand is they have no idea what a round-about is for and treat it as an intersection, which creates delays that aren't necessary.

But this u-turn isn't all that bad.

Think like a Thai.

Round-abouts! My pet peeve. The big one on Thanon Petkasem works fine (ish), but any of the smaller ones on lesser roads are just free-for-all. People stopping when they go around to give way to straight through traffic, and the bigger or faster you are, the more right of way you have.

My tactic, used also for intersections with stop signs is, if I have the right of way, slow down only to a speed I can stop quickly, stare straight ahead but concentrate on my peripheral vision. If you look at that car, he'll know you see him and will force his way in front. Whenever they honk at me, I point and say "bpai yut, YUT!".

Teaching them, on angry motorist at a time.

I know where you mean !! The ones behind yor-war school ..

I'm pretty short with drivers on u-turns, I have been chased down the road a few times, punched out a couple of wing mirrors after a 130 km/h close call and I have people tried to ram my bike off the road .. But roundabouts, hmmm .. With no training what should one expect. The drivers honestly don't understand you frustration.

My missus was unaware until I showed her a YouTube video on roundabout procedure.

Have you noticed there have been yellow signs put up in Hat Yai telling motorists to give way to the right AND they still pull out.

Good luck with the campaign.