Patong is dead.

hansgruber

2 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

As stated, I did check local classifieds, but there was nothing much to use as a guide.   We could compare living costs of Bangkok and Phuket, but it would be off topic.

This leads me to a question, perhaps other members may know the answer.

I have posted the job advertisement for a Government position based in Bangkok.  Would the same Government position, but based in Phuket, pay the same salary.  (legal salary that is)  Eg. does a nurse with 5 years experience working in a public hospital in Bangkok earn the same salary as a nurse with 5 years experience working in a public hospital on Phuket? 

If so, this Government job on Phuket would pay the same salary as the job in Bangkok I have posted.

I think transport drivers on Phuket is not a good example to use when comparing salaries because the drivers are basically part of a cartel.  Transport on Phuket does not operate under free market forces, therefore, you are basically comparing the salaries of criminals to legitimate staff.

Interesting point of discussion.  But what weight to you place on the fact that in many government positions significant money must change hands to buy in.  And I understand those amounts are very large in Phuket because of the potential returns.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

You know what he meant . 35% commission on work/services provided let's say it's 1000 baht an hour she will make 350 baht . Massage is labour intensive with very little materials used . She could easily make 2000 baht a day . I hope that's simple enough for you to understand . 

This is the "Patong is dead" thread.

She would have to have the customers to make that sort of money, and massage is a very competitive industry here.

Are you talking about legitimate massage, or "happy ending massage?"

7 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

This is the "Patong is dead" thread.

She would have to have the customers to make that sort of money, and massage is a very competitive industry here.

Are you talking about legitimate massage, or "happy ending massage?"

i wouldn't know I have never been in a legitimate massage place ?

I just rang and spoke to a Thai friend who works in a 5 star spa in Phuket.  She gets 6500THB per month fixed regardless of turnover and then 160 baht for each massage.  One day off each week.   Last month (peak high season) she made 16500 THB.  She gets free lunch also.  She has to buy her own uniforms from the Spa.  She did have her own business but was cleared off the beach.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

16 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

As stated, I did check local classifieds, but there was nothing much to use as a guide.   We could compare living costs of Bangkok and Phuket, but it would be off topic.

This leads me to a question, perhaps other members may know the answer.

I have posted the job advertisement for a Government position based in Bangkok.  Would the same Government position, but based in Phuket, pay the same salary.  (legal salary that is)  Eg. does a nurse with 5 years experience working in a public hospital in Bangkok earn the same salary as a nurse with 5 years experience working in a public hospital on Phuket? 

If so, this Government job on Phuket would pay the same salary as the job in Bangkok I have posted.

I think transport drivers on Phuket is not a good example to use when comparing salaries because the drivers are basically part of a cartel.  Transport on Phuket does not operate under free market forces, therefore, you are basically comparing the salaries of criminals to legitimate staff.

I would say that phuket economy is primarily driven by tourism so it would make sense if they made a little less then bkk , when working outside of the tourist sector.

The job you posted was a very basic government job that only needed a high school education . So that could be why the pay seemed low .

14 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Interesting point of discussion.  But what weight to you place on the fact that in many government positions significant money must change hands to buy in.  And I understand those amounts are very large in Phuket because of the potential returns.

True, but I also believe this is common practice in the private sector where Thai's "buy" a job and / or a promotion for themselves as well. 

This is why we have so much incompetence in middle to upper management in Thailand. 

So whilst there may be little to no "black money" income in a private sector job, you have to raise the capital to pay off the HR person/s for them to give you the high salary job.  That "pay off" capital has to be factored into the equation.

So, for example, if a 5 Star hotel receptionist is on a 50,000 baht a month salary, but had to pay 500,000 baht to get the job, you would have to average out the recouping of this 500,000 baht over the time they were in the position.  Now, if that 500,000 baht was borrowed from a bank, possible against the family home, that's quite some time before the 50,000 baht per month is "clear" salary.  

33 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

You know what he meant . 35% commission on work/services provided let's say it's 1000 baht an hour she will make 350 baht . Massage is labour intensive with very little materials used . She could easily make 2000 baht a day . I hope that's simple enough for you to understand . 

The best real massage is found in Phuket town.  The old blind guy and his blind wife in the soi behind Bangkok hospital are now charging 160 THB per hour.  Increase of 10 THB since two years ago.

But thanks for sharing your knowledge of the going rates for prostitution.

3 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

I would say that phuket economy is primarily driven by tourism so it would make sense if they made a little less then bkk , when working outside of the tourist sector.

The job you posted was a very basic government job that only needed a high school education . So that could be why the pay seemed low .

You are welcome to check out the other jobs listed.  I would post the link, but forum rules prohibit me from doing so.  This one was the first on the list.

"The job you posted was a very basic government job that only needed a high school education" - sure, but some members have posted examples of salaries 5 times the amount of this Government job, in positions that require no education at all. 

Traditionally, capital cities of many countries around the world have a higher cost of living than regional centers in the various countries.  

12 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

True, but I also believe this is common practice in the private sector where Thai's "buy" a job and / or a promotion for themselves as well. 

This is why we have so much incompetence in middle to upper management in Thailand. 

So whilst there may be little to no "black money" income in a private sector job, you have to raise the capital to pay off the HR person/s for them to give you the high salary job.  That "pay off" capital has to be factored into the equation.

So, for example, if a 5 Star hotel receptionist is on a 50,000 baht a month salary, but had to pay 500,000 baht to get the job, you would have to average out the recouping of this 500,000 baht over the time they were in the position.  Now, if that 500,000 baht was borrowed from a bank, possible against the family home, that's quite some time before the 50,000 baht per month is "clear" salary.  

Yes.   A good working example of that is my ex girlfriend that I referred to earlier.  She is from a dirt poor family, but graduated in Law at Chula top of her class on a provincial scholarship that a very kind female teacher helped her to win.  Despite years of trying, she has been unable to get a start in a government job.  She made dozens and dozens of applications and sat the exams etc.  She has light skin as well.

19 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Thought I'd opened the wrong thread maybe 'Career opportunities and salaries in Thailand' by mistake, but no, it is the  'Patong is Dead' thread after all :saai:

Well, with staff earning all these exorbitant salaries, the cost has to be passed onto the consumer, which is a tourist, so no wonder "Patong is dead."   :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

I just rang and spoke to a Thai friend who works in a 5 star spa in Phuket.  She gets 6500THB per month fixed regardless of turnover and then 160 baht for each massage.  One day off each week.   Last month (peak high season) she made 16500 THB.  She gets free lunch also.  She has to buy her own uniforms from the Spa.  She did have her own business but was cleared off the beach.

Only 2 choices we have here. Your friend kidding you or she not work in a 5☆.

Which spa therapist in here right mind would work in a good spa like at Marriott 12h 6 day per week for 16.5k. None. Easy answer.

I refer the whole time about 5☆ and real Phuketians and not like you about beach massage and guys from Nakon.

Enough input. Over and out.

46 minutes ago, madmitch said:

So, how is Patong? Still dead? 

Nope.

Last night, Bangla was packed. Even Soi Freedom had a large crowd, but I think that may have been due to several western tour groups. Island Bar at the end of the soi was full, and the adjacent and opposite, vacant bars were filled to capacity with Island's overflow. 

Smiley Bar,  which has been doing well this high season, was also full and the restaurant we frequent in the Patong Tower area continues to enjoy the busiest high season trade I can recall in the past 12+ years. In a turnaround to what I've previously noticed, there were several groups of Chinese in Smiley at one point, and they were actually buying drinks.

At the other end of the spectrum, the Thai BBQ buffet at the southern end of Nanai closed a few weeks ago after being in business about 2 years, and has been partially demolished. The California Pizza and Wings restaurant on Sai Kor has also shut down after being open only about a year, and the new northern-style noodle shop (Cap Noodle 2) on Phisit Koranee threw in the towel after only about 3 months. So while it looks like things may be going well on Bangla, outside the central tourist area the cycle of business openings and subsequent failures continues.

Oh - and one more thing.... most bars are not closing at midnight as had been announced. While the band at Soi Freedom stopped at midnight (which pretty much ends the bar business in that area), all of the bars directly on Bangla remained open until 2am, with bands playing until closing.

Never been to any type of massage, promissed 55, So i cannot comment on that.

Hotel average salary in Phuket - Bangkok or any tourist area follow exactly the minimum salary of the government for 2 to 4 * hotel.

Cook, service, luggage guy, cleaner all 9K in 2016 + Service charge if hotels pays it.

Reception staff may start a little higher at 10-11k

Supervisors 14-17k

Head of Department 25-50K (more cash in accounting and Kitchen than on other areas.

Patong ain't dead because of staff salary for sure... They pay them as little peanuts as they can..

2 hours ago, DrDave said:

At the other end of the spectrum, the Thai BBQ buffet at the southern end of Nanai closed a few weeks ago after being in business about 2 years, and has been partially demolished. The California Pizza and Wings restaurant on Sai Kor has also shut down after being open only about a year, and the new northern-style noodle shop (Cap Noodle 2) on Phisit Koranee threw in the towel after only about 3 months. So while it looks like things may be going well on Bangla, outside the central tourist area the cycle of business openings and subsequent failures continues.

No mystery surrounding these business failures.  Hiphopslims don't eat pork.

7 hours ago, DrDave said:

Think you are right re "the other end of the spectrum" as I've noticed a few shutters down in south Nanai and Dons BBQ is only ever busy when he has the weekend BBQ special "all u can eat" which coincides with football on tv, so apart from that very little patronage, and the same goes for his "Yes" bar opposite Nanai 3.

In fact most bars in Nanai struggle these days BUT I did notice that the "for sale" sign has gone from Amigos Bar, so maybe another dreamer hoping to buy an income or impress a new gf??

On that note I see "The Blarney Stone" has finally given up the ghost after being for sale for some time and moving closer towards the action, one large restaurant (Italian?) has disappeared from the new middle road and one hotel is for sale........more to come I am afraid and the Chinese invasion won't save them.

Of around 35 people in Starbucks today, 80% were Chinese; time I found a new haunt.

Maybe the bars need to branch out and offer Brands Chicken Essence on draft or have happy hour 'buy one / free one' offers for the Chinese tourists, they'd do a bundle if they could work Snail White cream into the offer but hard to factor that in to bar environment I guess.  Dried Durian might be doable though

I never really took to the Thai BBQ at the end of Nanai, too much traffic noise for me and it had an industrial estate feel to it. Too much girders and concrete.  I do like the Thai BBQ in T. Hapsibpee a lot though so I hope that survives.

Don's was never the same after they cleared the land on which the spill-over bars stood for the car park and Makro 2.  Outside of the AYCE specials at weekends that were mentioned by XP it, and the adjacent bars were never really THAT busy, now, and certainly up until the time I bailed on Phuket, they were pretty much deserted on normal days.

Most of the time now when I visit I tend to stick to places that have been around a while, mostly restaurants, but even then, some have closed or changed ownership (e.g. Valerio y Alex) and rarely for the better.  Many of the new places opening I rarely bother with as you're never sure how long they'll be around and, if they're opening on a shoe-string budget, it's hard to be confident in the freshness or the quality of the food.  I've had more tasteless, washed-out Thai food in Patong than anywhere in Thailand and even the places that HAD a good reputation (e.g. No 6) have gone way down since they became tour-bus stop-offs.  Sure I know some really nice places but they're out of town and after you eat there's not much else there, unless the standard pile of bricks / concrete, neon tube-lites and ever-hopeful 'hostess' bars appeal.

I guess Patong has never been about much else than Bangla but at least a few years back it did 'outta Bangla' better.  Now, other than some 2* eateries selling 1* food at 5* prices there's nothing much outside of Bangla, other than the few exceptions to the rule like Valerio and Mas and 9th Floor etc.  And again, ONLY restaurants and no bars with ANY class at all.  Sadly, given that there's squat to do in Patong after you've even other than girlie bars there's little reason to go there anymore for me.  

Edited by SooKee

11 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Maybe the bars need to branch out and offer Brands Chicken Essence on draft or have happy hour 'buy one / free one' offers for the Chinese tourists, they'd do a bundle if they could work Snail White cream into the offer but hard to factor that in to bar environment I guess.  Dried Durian might be doable though

I never really took to the Thai BBQ at the end of Nanai, too much traffic noise for me and it had an industrial estate feel to it. Too much girders and concrete.  I do like the Thai BBQ in T. Hapsibpee a lot though so I hope that survives.

Don's was never the same after they cleared the land on which the spill-over bars stood for the car park and Makro 2.  Outside of the AYCE specials at weekends that were mentioned by XP it, and the adjacent bars were never really THAT busy, now, and certainly up until the time I bailed on Phuket, they were pretty much deserted on normal days.

Most of the time now when I visit I tend to stick to places that have been around a while, mostly restaurants, but even then, some have closed or changed ownership (e.g. Valerio y Alex) and rarely for the better.  Many of the new places opening I rarely bother with as you're never sure how long they'll be around and, if they're opening on a shoe-string budget, it's hard to be confident in the freshness or the quality of the food.  I've had more tasteless, washed-out Thai food in Patong than anywhere in Thailand and even the places that HAD a good reputation (e.g. No 6) have gone way down since they became tour-bus stop-offs.  Sure I know some really nice places but they're out of town and after you eat there's not much else there, unless the standard pile of bricks / concrete, neon tube-lites and ever-hopeful 'hostess' bars appeal.

I guess Patong has never been about much else than Bangla but at least a few years back it did 'outta Bangla' better.  Now, other than some 2* eateries selling 1* food at 5* prices there's nothing much outside of Bangla, other than the few exceptions to the rule like Valerio and Mas and 9th Floor etc.  And again, ONLY restaurants and no bars with ANY class at all.  Sadly, given that there's squat to do in Patong after you've even other than girlie bars there's little reason to go there anymore for me.  

You make lots of good points  SK...........

Valerio y Alex is now totally owned by Alex and is called Salute, and Valerio teamed up with the owner of the Italian restaurant next door (Sirmione) and that has closed now, but then again was never that busy anyway! Salute, for me anyway, still represents good value and a week ago I got the last table there and it was packed full of...........mostly Italians!!! With some choosing to wait for a vacant table!

As for others, well now that Higher has been burnt out there's not much in the way of good restaurants around Bangla and your comment about crap Thai food is spot on........I've also sampled poor, tasteless washed out Thai food along with "old" veges in that area and one place which piled in the MSG so much it affected me. And Patong Seafood for me has always been hit and miss.

Tried many others in that area and at The Port on Beach Road I was served a chicken cordon bleu which was almost like a fat-filled sponge....awful.

May have to try K-Hotel again as that was always good apart from the last meal I had, but then again it had been good down the years, so I can forgive one "average" meal.

And this is spot on, "I guess Patong has never been about much else than Bangla but at least a few years back it did 'outta Bangla' better".

Agree wholeheartedly with the comments of SooKee and Xylophone regarding Patong restaurants above.

Higher is really a unique experience in Patong, aside from the 9th Floor. A nice venue, good service, excellent food at a reasonable price. As much as I hate contributing money to the family that owns it, it's one of the best places in town, and sorely missed due to the fire. Their website informs that both Seduction and Higher are closed for "renovations", with no estimate for when they'll re-open.

The Merlin used to have a decent nightly buffet for around 500-600 baht, but across multiple visits, the quality of food had really degraded. In all fairness, we haven't been back during high season, so if they still have the buffet, maybe it has improved?

I noticed a few days ago that Don has raised the price for the AYCE western BBQ to 299. Still a fair price I think, and as Xylophone mentioned, Don seems to do nearly all of his business on Sat and Sun nights. I can't remember ever seeing more than a handful of people there during the week since he first opened, and I doubt most people know that it's a restaurant in addition to a bar. 

There was one noodle shop on Nanai that we followed whenever they moved, but the owners finally gave up, saying the profits weren't worth the long working hours. On SaiNamYen, a lot of the regular staff at Eat24 left, and the restaurant was subsequently sold. It has since been turned into what looks like a self-serve fried chicken joint, and is only open at night. On SaiKor, "MooDee" was opened by Thai couple who obviously had prior food service experience. The place had a very professional air about it, even though it was a budget restaurant. I don't think they had the capital to fully outfit it, and business never really was enough to support it. It ended up being sold (to a farang, I think), and unfortunately it looks like it probably won't survive. It's not a problem with location, as "DooDee" just 100 meters away draws a big lunchtime crowd - mostly Russian tourists. Also on SaiKor was a modest little duck rice and pork place simply named "Roast Duck & Roast Pork". Outstanding duck and pork, with big portions for only 50 baht. Unfortunately, when the owner of that row of shophouses and the ones across the road decided to renovate, he jacked the monthly rental rate into the stratosphere, and everyone closed down. The owners of the little restaurant gave up on Phuket completely, refusing to raise their prices to cover the rent, and moved to Issan. Only a handful of the now-renovated shopfronts have been rented since being completed over 6 months ago.

@SooKee - if you like the Thai BBQ on Hasip Pii, you might try the one across from the fire station. Much bigger, with a larger selection ingredients for your Suki (including lots of big prawns), but less in the way of non-suki food (chicken wings, pad thai, etc). 

18 hours ago, DrDave said:

@SooKee - if you like the Thai BBQ on Hasip Pii, you might try the one across from the fire station. Much bigger, with a larger selection ingredients for your Suki (including lots of big prawns), but less in the way of non-suki food (chicken wings, pad thai, etc). 

Yeah, thanks. The Fire Station BBQ was the one I started going to first, years back, before they renovated (and I THINK moved up the road a bit) and when it was still mostly a ramshackle collection of bamboo kiosks and a few tables.  I liked it more then.  Since the expansion / move it lost a lot of it's character for me and most of the tables outside are of the long tressle 'seats 8' type so you can often find yourself sharing.  Fine unless there's bunch of noisy ADD kids in the mix too.  The area is also a very popular residential area with the working girls so it can tend to get pretty rammed between 6 - 8:30pm with the girls piling in before heading to work, all of course with the attendant shrieking and volume level 9 'arai wah' sounds of 'BGs having fun' (at least until they're smashed in the bar 4 hours later, squabbling over some guy, fighting and trying to knife each other)  .  For me the food quality went down a bit too.  

That's why I changed to Hahsipbpee.  More open space, less crowded feel, less noisy and being higher up, catches whatever breeze there might be giving it a fresher feel.  Bit too far out for the pre-work diners.  I like the non suki food there too, don't eat a lot of it but their fried chicken is great when it's fresh, even the nougats 5555.  Friendly, helpful service staff there too.  I normally stop and grab 3 different types of mushrooms either from Banzaan or even Makro before I go and the staff are always happy to wash, trim and prepare them for the pot.  Quite e few times, being so relaxing there, we've gone at 5pm, intending to stay just 1-2 hours but still been there at kicking out time around 1:00am after demolishing a bottle of Regency and Christ knows how many large bottles of Leo.  Never really had much inclination to do that at Fire Station Road, too urbania and too much 'watch live' lakorn 55555.

Trundled down to Bangla on Saturday night and on the way down I passed the Italian restaurant in Nanai Road, called Da Moreno (I think that's how it's spelt) and it was packed, with even a few waiting outside on the road for tables to come available. That would be a beacon in the wilderness as far as Nanai is concerned, apart from the occasional good night at Don's barbecue.

Ate at my usual Italian restaurant in Soi Patong Beach Resort and it was about three quarters full and strangely enough the Italian restaurant next door which had closed down due to a falling out of the partners it seems, was now open again with a new partner in tow (by all accounts) although it was only around 35% occupied.

I had often noticed a little restaurant on the left as you enter that Soi and I believe it serves some Scandie type food in the main, however a blackboard outside of the restaurant was advertising, "all Thai meals at 90 baht". Obviously going after the high rollers!

Bangla was actually heaving and quite a few of the bars fronting it were busy, as was the case with Smiley Bar, however going into Soi Freedom it was a different matter, because although a few of the bars in the middle seemed to be doing quite well with regards to middle-aged plus farangs, the bars near the band were very poorly patronised and indeed I counted seven empty bars now, so perhaps the owner needs to take a good look at what the place needs to bring in the punters – – however he is Thai, so I doubt that will happen. And as if to back that up he has given the DJ who operates his useless music selection, full run of the place, in effect making him the manager, and this hasn't gone down well with a few of the bar owners because he has "dictated" that the live band will now finish at midnight so that he can play his disco music and other ear piercing crap for a couple of hours before the 2 a.m. curfew hits.

It was thought that once the 1 a.m. closing time was relaxed, that all would go back to normal with regards to the band and that they would play on until 1 a.m. – – not the case and it is pizzing off a few folk.

I decided to wend my way home at about 12:30 a.m. and again, the amount of people streaming down Soi Sansabai in order to hit Bangla for the nightlife was quite amazing – – quite what they intend to find to amuse themselves for the next 90 minutes is a mystery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2015 at 10:34 AM, billythehat said:

Brits?...I’m not skint and neither are many of the quality Brit tourists I know that visit Lalaland. No Sir, I think there are many and varied reasons why folk are not going there...kop some of NKM’s sermons for the unfortunate low-down. Arh, the good old days... coffee1.gif

I have not been down there for about 6 years.Not only because of there attitude,But the prices.it was about 90 baht a bottle in the cheapest dump bar then.And Ive heard over the years ,it is normal for 250 baht a small bottle now.Is this true?.If it is Its 42 to the £ today .Thats £6 a bottle.And at them prices.im one of the skint ones.30 bottles over the course of the day is a norm for me.sounds to some people a lot of drinking.the bottles are not half pints.

8 hours ago, Thomas Hannah said:

I have not been down there for about 6 years.Not only because of there attitude,But the prices.it was about 90 baht a bottle in the cheapest dump bar then.And Ive heard over the years ,it is normal for 250 baht a small bottle now.Is this true?.If it is Its 42 to the £ today .Thats £6 a bottle.And at them prices.im one of the skint ones.30 bottles over the course of the day is a norm for me.sounds to some people a lot of drinking.the bottles are not half pints.

No, beer is not 250 baht per bottle in Patong.

Prices on Bangla normally range from about 60 to 120 baht. The lower end of the range being promotions run by smaller bars fronting Bangla, the higher end being larger venues with live bands. Most are somewhere in the middle.  The clubs/discos are probably higher though - don't know as I don't patronize them.  The most I've ever paid is 180 baht, and that was at the ridiculously overpriced TaiPan just off Bangla.  Some restaurants in Patong even offer small bottles of Chang for 10 baht over their wholesale cost. 

... and correct, these are not half pints. At 330ml, they're a little more than a half UK pint. At 10 litres/day, I think your liver will probably be exhausted before your funds.

30 bottles over the course of the day is a norm for me.

I have to agree with DrDave's comments about your liver.  For the sake of your health, I hope the bars increase the price of the beer beyond your financial reach :)

11 hours ago, DrDave said:

No, beer is not 250 baht per bottle in Patong.

Prices on Bangla normally range from about 60 to 120 baht. The lower end of the range being promotions run by smaller bars fronting Bangla, the higher end being larger venues with live bands. Most are somewhere in the middle.  The clubs/discos are probably higher though - don't know as I don't patronize them.  The most I've ever paid is 180 baht, and that was at the ridiculously overpriced TaiPan just off Bangla.  Some restaurants in Patong even offer small bottles of Chang for 10 baht over their wholesale cost. 

... and correct, these are not half pints. At 330ml, they're a little more than a half UK pint. At 10 litres/day, I think your liver will probably be exhausted before your funds.

Thanks for the info.Only know when talking to people who have come back from there saying they saw places were it was 250. 6 years ago i found it to be the norm 90 to 120.Did see special offer in one bar 60 in low season once.I never stayed more than a week.as moving around karon kata and phi phi and then over to Krabi.Seems the prices have stayed about the same.Pattaya them days was 35 to 70 .My liver is fine.Dont drink in England.Even in thailand .Only places likes of pattaya and patong that i drink a lot.

Jumping around a bit here, but it is all about Patong..............

I notice that the "Jeffers" restaurant in Jungceylon has closed, as has the Nike store almost opposite, although I'm not sure why?

If the quality of the tourists here at the moment is anything to go by, the above wouldn't be a surprise although "Jeffers" should fit the bill. Although don't know if the influx of Russians these days could even stretch to this and as if to qualify that remark, I witnessed a spectacle in Big C that really epitomised that as there was one low rent Russian female who was absolutely mouthing off at a poor Thai girl at the checkout, shouting out loudly and angrily in Russian about something or another and it was embarrassing – – so much so that I went up to the woman and stood in front of her and motioned her to calm down as well as uttering the word "shhhhh".

It seemed to work for a few minutes, but when I was a short distance away, she started again.

Over the past few days I have observed quite a few Russian folk at the Big C checkouts and along with the bottles of beer which they are trying to buy outside of hours, they have just a few packets of crisps or a couple of plastic wrapped food items, presumably for eating back in their hotel room.

So with the cheap Chinese and low rent Russians, this place is certainly attracting the high-rollers – – yeah right.

As others have mentioned on here, there are many small businesses which are suffering and shutting up shop and it looks like the NANAI COWBOY, the leather working and shoe shop in Nanai Road, about 100 m before the junction with Soi Sainamyen is all but gone (still open though, albeit in a reduced shop space).

I have used him several times before, especially to fix shoes which are very comfortable and I don't want to throw away, and he seems to be able to fix anything from trainers/runners through to sandal type shoes as well as boat shoes, not to mention high heels (not that I wear them anymore!!). He also makes shoes, boots and jackets etc, so I implore anybody who has anything like that which needs repairing to go along and use him, because it would be a shame to see something like that shut, because he is an artisan and leather workers and shoemakers are a rare breed these days.

I really fear for many of the small businesses on the fringes and wonder how much longer they will last, and when you even have smaller hotels in the new main drag closing, perhaps the writing is on the wall.

Bangla inspection scheduled for this evening.................

I just looked out and saw that there are 2 Royal Caribbean cruise ships moored in Patong Bay this morning.

The Mariner of the Seas (3,800 pax) that normally visits Patong twice a week in high season has been joined by the larger, new Ovation of the Seas (4,200 pax). It appears that the Ovation will be returning 2 more times this season (late March and early April).

That's 8,000 passengers today, most of which will disembark in Patong. Hopefully, some of that money will end up in the hands of local businesses.

I have been observing this thread for some time now and it seems to me

that most of the posters think Patong consists of Nanai rd., Jungceylon and

Bangla rd. area? Btw I still find decent food in the Islander off Bangla.

There is much more to Patong than these areas.

For info Dr.Dave the 9th floor has been closed since last week due to fairly

serious electrical fire in the kitchen but the owner is claiming closed for

" maintenance " .

Several Fire engines in the car park last week tell a different story, why lie about it??