US or CHINA?

PepperMe

Hahaha

Your technological advances did not help you in Vietnam where you got your <deleted> handed to you and fled with your tails between your legs.....

Viet Nam was a mistake and many Americans thought so. I know of no guerilla army that has ever been defeated on its own soil.

Viet Nam didn't have the big guns, the air force or the navy. It was fighting in the jungle. I hope the US doesn't do that again.

But you start thinking of real battles with navies and air forces and global deployment power, then the US would mop up.

• Like 2

I am scared!

Lately I have been agreeing with Neversure a lot!

Something I have never done before.

Could it be we have found a topic we agree on....or am I losing it?

Maybe a little of both.

Next thing you

know I will start agreeing with Ulysses S.Grant too!

HELP!!!!!!

• Like 1

Something else. Most of the posters here have the US for an ally. China is a danger. Russia is a danger. Many here have US protection either on their soil or very close by. Germany needs little to no military because there is so much US military there. That and other installations cover Europe. The US has several bases near Asia and will move back into Subic Bay and Clark Air Force Base.

If there really was an outbreak, almost all of the countries represented here would need for the US to prevail.

It's easy to sit back and criticize, but anyone who really sees China as an alternative to world power has to be sound asleep. China isn't a super power. It backed down from claiming fishing rights in the S. China Sea when the US sailed a couple of carrier groups in there.

People had better HOPE that the US can do it. All of the mouth past that is just mouth.

The US just cut a deal to move back into Subic Bay and Clark Air Force Base in the Phils. It also has Diego Garcia and Guam. It also has 11 Nimitz class aircraft carrier groups.

Who needs Thailand?

Nobody is doubting what the US military hardware and bases are.

What happens if those bases are wiped out rather quickly?

The hardest part of winneng a war is not the hardware, it is the logistics and the US would be spread far too thin across the globe. It is NOT going to concentrate all its efforts in the western pacific.

If it goes off, the US, will have problems in that region. A single torpedo below the waterline and that is an aircraft carrier lost.

That's what Japan thought in WWII.

Every carrier is accompanied by a carrier group of ships. There are destroyers which mean submarine destroyers. They can detect and destroy a submarine before it gets into effective range.

The US can hit and destroy a torpedo too.

China doesn't have stealth. The US can shoot down an ICBM.

These are the things that China doesn't have when I say its technology is antiquated. Neither it or Russia is ready to take on the West and they know it.

Hahaha

I wondered how long it would be before we got the old WW11 rubbish.... First off, this is NOT 1940. All of Russias allies will have much more advanced technology just as much as the US have, also the Japs only lost because the US nuked the,m.... IO doubt they would dare think about using nukes in the next conflict because it will be the end of the USA and probably all of us.

If that is all you can come up with, then you are very ignorant of current military .... Look how long it took them to sort out Afgahistan and Iraq and they did nothing in Vietnam....... You are kidding yourself, even US military experts would agree with me...... and they do.

Russia, China, India and the middle east can collapse the US economy in days, and they will as part of the war effort, and the US will collapse on top of this war...... The USA have no chance and I pray to god that the UK and the EU come to their senses soon. France and half of the EU countries will back down against Russia mate.

As for technology...... Typical American attitude, think everyone are backwards compared to them.... Russia has some of the finest military technology in the world, so does China.... and you lot don't have a clue exactly what China or Russia has.

One of the most advanced countries in the world for military hardware is Israel, and it sells its advances to everyone with the cash and China has plenty of that.... then they copy it and mass produce it..... You have no idea what they have, only China knows that. So carry on and underestimate it.... Prepare to be shocked.

Your technological advances did not help you in Vietnam where you got your <deleted> handed to you and fled with your tails between your legs.....

Japan was never going to win, they had already lost WWII.

The nukes just shortened the war considerably and saved a lot of both Japanese and Allied lives.

The Japanese would have never surrendered and a very costly invasion of the Japanese homeland would have been required and successful, eventually

The US had the technology to destroy Vietnam, but decided to restrain itself, and rightfully so.

The US did was not defeated in Vietnam.

The people of America determined the occupation of south Vietnam was wrong and forced their government to stop.

The people of America can still influence what their government does if enough of them disagree with it's policies.

Not every country can make that claim.

Can yours?

The Vietnam conflict was their civil war. We backed the losing side.

• Like 1

The US just cut a deal to move back into Subic Bay and Clark Air Force Base in the Phils. It also has Diego Garcia and Guam. It also has 11 Nimitz class aircraft carrier groups.

Who needs Thailand?

The hardest part of winneng a war is not the hardware, it is the logistics and the US would be spread far too thin across the globe. It is NOT going to concentrate all its efforts in the western pacific.

If it goes off, the US, will have problems in that region. A single torpedo below the waterline and that is an aircraft carrier lost.

Every carrier is accompanied by a carrier group of ships. There are destroyers which mean submarine destroyers. They can detect and destroy a submarine before it gets into effective range.

These are the things that China doesn't have when I say its technology is antiquated. Neither it or Russia is ready to take on the West and they know it.

Hahaha

I wondered how long it would be before we got the old WW11 rubbish.... First off, this is NOT 1940. All of Russias allies will have much more advanced technology just as much as the US have, also the Japs only lost because the US nuked the,m.... IO doubt they would dare think about using nukes in the next conflict because it will be the end of the USA and probably all of us.

If that is all you can come up with, then you are very ignorant of current military .... Look how long it took them to sort out Afgahistan and Iraq and they did nothing in Vietnam....... You are kidding yourself, even US military experts would agree with me...... and they do.

Russia, China, India and the middle east can collapse the US economy in days, and they will as part of the war effort, and the US will collapse on top of this war...... The USA have no chance and I pray to god that the UK and the EU come to their senses soon. France and half of the EU countries will back down against Russia mate.

As for technology...... Typical American attitude, think everyone are backwards compared to them.... Russia has some of the finest military technology in the world, so does China.... and you lot don't have a clue exactly what China or Russia has.

One of the most advanced countries in the world for military hardware is Israel, and it sells its advances to everyone with the cash and China has plenty of that.... then they copy it and mass produce it..... You have no idea what they have, only China knows that. So carry on and underestimate it.... Prepare to be shocked.

The nukes just shortened the war considerably and saved a lot of both Japanese and Allied lives.

The Japanese would have never surrendered and a very costly invasion of the Japanese homeland would have been required and successful, eventually

The US had the technology to destroy Vietnam, but decided to restrain itself, and rightfully so.

The people of America determined the occupation of south Vietnam was wrong and forced their government to stop.

The people of America can still influence what their government does if enough of them disagree with it's policies.

Can yours?

Wrong.

Sorry, but the "conflict in Vietnam" was created by the U.S. CIA for the benefit of the USA.

To the people of both north and south Vietnam, it was, and still is, one Vietnam, not north and south Vietnam.

This is why the US fought against both the North Vietnam and the Viet Cong.

The VC were south Vietnamese fighting against the US for the unification of the north and south.

This is why the south Vietnamese people supported, supplied, and hid the VC from the US whenever they could.

It was not a civil war, it was a very costly, attempted and failed occupation by the U.S.

For the past 40 years, the Vietnam has been doing pretty well and is now one of the most popular vacation destinations for American toruist.

Go figure!

China and Russia allies? You cannot be serious! Thailand wouldn't even be in the equation. Even so, would be hard pressed not to think Thailand backing China, as they are the rising star as a world power.

China is supporting Russia at the moment as they know they are the next on the hit list. As long as Russia can be the main target of the USA, China has time to improve their defense.

Who needs Thailand?

Hahaha

Can yours?

In Cambodia they also backed Pol Pot

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think as far as economic matters go, Thailand needs the US more than the US needs Thailand, but military wise, I think the US needs Thailand more than Thailand needs the US.

Who needs Thailand?

R & R................wink.png

Bit de javu, eh?

Hahaha

Wondered how long before some disgruntled Brit let his misplaced disdain for the U.S. blind him to simple realities. Didn't have to wait long.

The U.S. fights its wars with one of its hands tied behind its back. Not because we're so altruistic, but because turning a country into rubble does nothing to combat the ideologies we're up against. We nation build, or attempt to do so, just like every superpower/empire before us. (And frankly, for the record, I'm sick of it too. But that's neither here nor there in the context of this reply.)

You make a lot of unsubstantiated claims that are little more than nonsense:

"Russia, China, India and the middle east can collapse the US economy in days"

Pray tell, how?

We're dependent on Russia for nothing. China holds some of our debt, which is a liability on their end, not ours. And they need us to buy their junk. India would side with the U.S. over China, so don't see why you bring them up in the first place. And as for the middle east--hahaha--look at what we've done to the big players there since accessing our own shale. We've shown them as the one-trick-ponies they truly are. We're essentially energy independent, and only buy from them in order to horde it.

"France and half of the EU countries will back down against Russia mate."

What's that got to do with the U.S.? Most of mainland Europe, whether they admit it or not, rely on the U.S. to protect western interests, i.e., capital markets, the world over. That's why they don't need to spend the money advancing their own militaries.

"Russia has some of the finest military technology in the world, so does China.... and you lot don't have a clue exactly what China or Russia has."

And you do have a clue? Then cure us of our ignorance. NeverSure gave you concrete examples, so if you know what you're talking about then contradict him with facts. Yes, they have "some of the finest technology in the world." But sometimes the difference between 1st and 2nd place is substantial, which every bit the case concerning the U.S.'s military superiority.

The entirety of your post is quintessential America bashing: high on vitriol and naivety, low on intelligence and objectivity.

I guess the "little man complex" also applies to little countries! lol

The US really has no military need for Thailand anymore.

With modern military technology like over the horizon radar, they will be fine in SE Asia from Australia and the Philippines if the need ever arises.

The only military "need" Thailand could fulfill is the R&R of the troops in places like Pattaya, like they did during Vietnam.

Posts on TV today say the General plans to crack down on that type of R&R....

Other friendly countries near by will be happy to take over that duty.

So, no need for Thailand at all now.

As an American, I am not worried at all.

As an American with family in Thailand, I am concerned as to what the future holds for American residents of Thailand.

Even so, would be hard pressed not to think Thailand backing China, as they are the rising star as a world power.

You have to be kidding. Other than nukes, and lots of people in China, China totally lacks technology and its weapons are antiquated.

Mil.png

as the Russians has been in the WWII and they still beat the Germans...and don't believe the fairy tale it were the other allies.

• Like 1

As an American with family in Thailand, I am concerned as to what the future holds for American residents of Thailand.

I feel for you, and share your concerns. I don't have a family yet, nor am I even married. But one of the reasons I chose to live here in Thailand was because of the good terms our elected governments had long enjoyed with one another. The times they are changing though, and quickly too.

Who needs Thailand?

Hahaha

Can yours?

Wrong.

Sorry, but the "conflict in Vietnam" was created by the U.S. CIA for the benefit of the USA.

To the people of both north and south Vietnam, it was, and still is, one Vietnam, not north and south Vietnam.

This is why the US fought against both the North Vietnam and the Viet Cong.

The VC were south Vietnamese fighting against the US for the unification of the north and south.

This is why the south Vietnamese people supported, supplied, and hid the VC from the US whenever they could.

It was not a civil war, it was a very costly, attempted and failed occupation by the U.S.

For the past 40 years, the Vietnam has been doing pretty well and is now one of the most popular vacation destinations for American toruist.

Go figure!

You are so far off the mark on that it is difficult to know where to begin. But, since this is about Thailand, and not about inane conspiracy theories, I'll pass for the moment.

Hahaha

You are right in most..but unfortunately...wrong in a big one. The next WW will be nuclear with big destruction in both sides and "collateral damages" around the world.

The next world war will be done on a basis where everyone involved will sign an ANP (anti nuclear pact).

The only nation that will refuse to sign is N Korea. If they ended up pushed right up against the wall, rather than face defeat, they will send off their nukes, probably to Seoul. Whether the US will respond is another matter, but it would be foolhardy if they did and I think they know that. So I would be amazed if they had the balls to try it.

I think it is almost certain that discounting the above scenario.... This will be a conventional war fought on land, air and sea.

Not sure I would even agree with the OP's premise. The US and China have had disagreements, but China needs the US. Their export driven economy needs the US as consumers. The Chinese hold trillions in US dollar reserves. They've invested billions in US real estate. There are more Chinese studying in US universities than any other foreign nationality. The Chinese may back Russia in certain isolated instances. But in terms of who China needs more, US or Russia, it's the US by a wide margin.

I do not agree.

You are probably the ONLY person I have ever come across whether in real life or on the internet that holds that thought. Just about every expert in the world will disagree with you also.

This is not about what China gets from the US currently. It is what they can get from the US once it surrenders.

The US is only 4.5% of the global population..... This is not essential for the Chinese economy to survive. Plus they will still be there consuming long after the war is ended, and China may actually end up being their leader along with Russia anyway.

The Chinese have already wrote off those USD, they are scrambling to convert to gold and hard assets. They will have a hand in crashing the dollar... Everyone knows the US is going to default on their almost 20 trillon debt... It is not a matter of if, but when.

You need to change your thinking of the US being vital to the survival of the entire world, they are ion fact the biggest threat, not only to peace, but also to the global economy.

Chine knows that if Russia gets defeated...... The US will be coming for China. End of story.

• Like 2

Not sure I would even agree with the OP's premise. The US and China have had disagreements, but China needs the US. Their export driven economy needs the US as consumers. The Chinese hold trillions in US dollar reserves. They've invested billions in US real estate. There are more Chinese studying in US universities than any other foreign nationality. The Chinese may back Russia in certain isolated instances. But in terms of who China needs more, US or Russia, it's the US by a wide margin.

I do not agree.

You are probably the ONLY person I have ever come across whether in real life or on the internet that holds that thought. Just about every expert in the world will disagree with you also.

This is not about what China gets from the US currently. It is what they can get from the US once it surrenders.

The US is only 4.5% of the global population..... This is not essential for the Chinese economy to survive. Plus they will still be there consuming long after the war is ended, and China may actually end up being their leader along with Russia anyway.

The Chinese have already wrote off those USD, they are scrambling to convert to gold and hard assets. They will have a hand in crashing the dollar... Everyone knows the US is going to default on their almost 20 trillon debt... It is not a matter of if, but when.

You need to change your thinking of the US being vital to the survival of the entire world, they are ion fact the biggest threat, not only to peace, but also to the global economy.

Chine knows that if Russia gets defeated...... The US will be coming for China. End of story.

You are sitting right now using technology invented in the US. US companies are making a fortune from the internet.

China's economy is falling while the US is having boom times. The US has the technology and I won't list the international businesses to drive a REAL economy. The US doesn't have 1.4 Billion mouths to feed as a communist nation.

The US invents technology and China picks up the scraps by providing cheap labor to manufacture it. Then the US consumer goes to Walmart and buys a $395 laptop which includes a valid copy of Windows and laughs all the way to the bank. The real money was made by the US companies while the Chinese slaved for peanuts.

The US has natural resources that China could only dream of. Those natural resources are wealth. The US has 88,000 miles (144,000 kms) of saltwater shoreline just to give you an idea of what it owns.

You don't like the US. You'd like China even less if that crocodile ever was turned loose without the US to block it.

• Like 1

I do not agree.

You are sitting right now using technology invented in the US. US companies are making a fortune from the internet.

China's economy is falling while the US is having boom times. The US has the technology and I won't list the international businesses to drive a REAL economy. The US doesn't have 1.4 Billion mouths to feed as a communist nation.

The US invents technology and China picks up the scraps by providing cheap labor to manufacture it. Then the US consumer goes to Walmart and buys a $395 laptop which includes a valid copy of Windows and laughs all the way to the bank. The real money was made by the US companies while the Chinese slaved for peanuts.

The US has natural resources that China could only dream of. Those natural resources are wealth. The US has 88,000 miles (144,000 kms) of saltwater shoreline just to give you an idea of what it owns.

You don't like the US. You'd like China even less if that crocodile ever was turned loose without the US to block it.

Computers and the internet were invented by the BRITISH.

I have not bothered to read past your first line.... It became more than clear to me 24 hours ago that you are nothing more than a US cheerleader, deluded by this strange USA supremacy myth.

If it was not for the British, you would not be able to sit there on your PC with your head in the sand trying to bulls**t everyone about how everything good in the world come from the good ole US of A.

I am far from being anti-US, but people like you do not help the common perception that there are some that are an embarrassment to modesty.

• Like 1

Way off topic here, but could you please explain how, when or where the British invented the computer, or internet. The Greeks and the guys at CERN would like to know as well as I.

The originator of the programmable computer concept was Charles Babbage.

Charles Babbage, FRS (/ˈbæbɪ/; 26 December 1791 – 18 October 1871) was an English polymath.[1] A mathematician, philosopher, inventor and mechanical engineer, Babbage is best remembered for originating the concept of a programmable computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Babbage

Later in WW11 Alan Turing refined it and eventually cracked the Enigma code that is credited to have won the war.... Not the Americans. Without Turing the Nazis would have pummeled the Yanks trying to cross the Atlantic.

Alan Mathison Turing, OBE, FRS (/ˈtjʊərɪŋ/ TEWR-ing; 23 June 1912 – 7 June 1954) was a British pioneering computer scientist, mathematician, logician, cryptanalyst, philosopher, mathematical biologist, and marathon and ultra distance runner. He was highly influential in the development of computer science, providing a formalisation of the concepts of "algorithm" and "computation" with the Turing machine, which can be considered a model of a general purpose computer.[3][4][5] Turing is widely considered to be the father of theoretical computer science and artificial intelligence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

Finally you have Tim Berners Lee..... the inventor of "HTTP" and the "world wide web" and pioneered the first "server to client over internet" transfer which is the fundamental basics of the entire internet still used today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

Or am I going to be challenged with Bill Gates and Steve Jobs......... lol.

For the record, the highest decorated soldier during the Vietnam war was also a British Soldier...... For those who didn't know smile.png

Edited by PepperMe

If the junta is still in charge I think, right now, they would align with China for two reasons. Right now they are angry with the US and to a lesser extent the EU. I'm pretty sure they know they should stay on the side of the Western nations, but not so sure they wouldn't vote with their emotions and go with China. The second reason is it's much easy for China to reach out and put the hammer down on Thailand and move in wholesale and not so easy for the US to help or protect them without bringing the bomb into the equation.

If something like this indeed happens, we're gonna have bigger things to worry about instead of guessing who aligns with who.

I dont think such a conflict will take place, heck these guys didnt even confront each other during the soviet era. They might have some disagreements at times, but I hardly doubt it will turn into a conflict.

I think as far as economic matters go, Thailand needs the US more than the US needs Thailand, but military wise, I think the US needs Thailand more than Thailand needs the US.

Who needs Thailand?

Forget aircraft carriers and all that other nonsense. World War 3 will be just a large video game as neither side wants to destroy infrastructure that would be usable after its all over. They do not want to inherit a radiated world. They have learned much watching the USA destroy countries and then spend precious dollars to build them back up again.

• Like 1

China and Russia allies? You cannot be serious! Thailand wouldn't even be in the equation. Even so, would be hard pressed not to think Thailand backing China, as they are the rising star as a world power.

China is not that far fetched, you know that if you have ever been outside Pattaya!! Thailand is already well in the hands of China, and most of the factories and stores are owned by chinese traders..... A chinaman is always a chinaman, and will always stay a chinaman even after 10.000 years.... Thai people came here from Sunnan in China for some 800 years ago, so thai are in fact China people.....

So there are really no Thailand, but a small sub-country called Thailand, but should rather be called China-B

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo