Marriage visa application on tourist visa.

Gents,

I need some guidance please.

I am an 55 year old Irish citizen and am married to a Thai who lives in Issan.

I travel in and out of Thailand on a standard 30 day tourist visa as I work overseas.

I return to Thailand in a couple of weeks and want to stay for a few months , also retirement is getting nearer.

My plan is to go for a Marriage Visa with multiple entry.

Here are my questions

1. Can I apply for a marriage visa in country on a 30 day tourist visa ?

2. If no I am thinking of applying for a 3 entry tourist visa at one of the UK consulates. Is this a better option ?

I do not have the necessary documents with me to start the marriage visa application at this moment.

Any advice appreciated.

• Like 1

The 30 days that you call "tourist visa" is actually a visa exempt entry.

You can do a visa conversion in Bangkok, but you must have the documentation for an one year extension.

You can also obtain a 60 days extension of stay on any type of visa entry.

• Like 1

You could convert the visa exempt entry as stated in post #2 but it would require two trips to Bangkok. Since you live in Issan it might be easier to go to Savannkhet and get a single entry Non-O and then do the extension at your local immigration office.

You can get a single entry or a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet based upon marriage to a Thai. The multiple entry would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

You can get the same visas in the UK also.

You can only change to a non immigrant visa in Bangkok and it would require 2 trips 15 days apart to get it. You would need to meet the financial requirements for an extension of stay

• Like 1

You can get a single entry or a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet based upon marriage to a Thai. The multiple entry would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

You can only change to a non immigrant visa in Bangkok and it would require 2 trips 15 days apart to get it. You would need to meet the financial requirements for an extension of stay

'You can get the same visas in the UK also."

If he's Irish why would he want to go to UK for a visa?

'You can get the same visas in the UK also."

If he's Irish why would he want to go to UK for a visa?

Also in his post that I replied to.

"2. If no I am thinking of applying for a 3 entry tourist visa at one of the UK consulates. Is this a better option ?

He could get it from the consulate in Dublin if he is going to be there.

• Like 1

You must be on an 'O' type Visa to get an extension of stay based on marriage.

You can enter Thailand on 30 day Visa exempt, then follow Joe's advice and get a Non Imm O Visa from Savannakthet based on marriage.

You can convert that to an extension of stay based on marriage at your local Immigration office when your ready and prepared.