Police beef up operations against prostitution in entertainment venues

Lite Beer

I thought it was illegal to dance naked in Thailand. Does anyone know what the law is regarding top less and naked dancing?

Perhaps a few of our more knowledgeable punters can tell us whether the naked dancers in Nana and Cowboy are performing in bars owned or controlled by important policemen. (If that is at all possible in this country?)

While prostitution may be illegal in Thailand, there is a big loophole in how Thailand defines prostitution:

"prostitution" means sexual intercourse, or any other act, or the commission of any other act in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person in a promiscuous manner in return for money or any other benefit, irrespective of whether the person who accepts the act and the person who commits the act are of the same sex or not;"

Without the part in red, in Thailand's legal eyes it would be prostitution just for the benefit of not satisfying being horny. Well that is my take being from the US where how a law is worded is often more important than the intent which I assume when they say benefit it is to mean material or monetary benefit.

Wouldn't this law cover most marriages? Well the good marriages anyway!

Another promise to act but the truth is that if they seriously cracked down on prostitution tourism would probably fall by 60% or more.

The fact remains that most bars operate within the law as the act is not perpetrated on the premises. This is a time old profession that no government has ever really been able to eradicate and in a country where money is everything and the poor continue to suffer they'll happily send their daughters off to BKK, Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and anywhere else they can make big money.

• Like 2

BIB have hardened their attitude, stiffened their resolve and inserted themselves into prostitution rings. Things could get messy. But I can't see a happy ending from this.

Hey FARANG what you mean

"NO HAPPY ENDING"

You tell me good price mister I give you special happy ending.

This will be another catch 22. When you don't pay your police force a fair wage, they have no choice but to sell favors and do whatever it takes to supplement their income.

If turning a blind eye to prostitution gets them kick-backs, they can't afford not to do it

This will be another catch 22. When you don't pay your police force a fair wage, they have no choice but to sell favors and do whatever it takes to supplement their income.

If turning a blind eye to prostitution gets them kick-backs, they can't afford not to do it

"When you don't pay your police force a fair wage,...."

The average street copper does not control massage parlors and gambling venues or own bars.

That is the purview of the senior commanders, you know, the ones that the junta has slowly been arresting for corruption and other shady operations.

The biggest fish was caught before Christmas and that caused major ripples all the way to the apex of Thai society.

The average bent street copper only tries to imitate his superiors and aim for a few hundred baht a day.

• Like 2

And how many of all the entertainment venues in Thailand that offers play for pay are legal, 1%?

Nana, Cowboy, Patpong ... are "legal" entertainment venues.

Edit: As well as other areas including much of Pataya.

Exactly how is it "legal" to commit an Illegal act? Prostitution is illegal in Thailand, or wasn't that mentioned in the tourist brochure?

b

Thais are the prime users of prostitution . Right across the North East there has be a proliferation of sex motels , one or two to every rural village . I am led to believe there are plenty of girls and ladyboys willing to oblige the customers .

• Like 1

I thought it was illegal to dance naked in Thailand. Does anyone know what the law is regarding top less and naked dancing?

Perhaps a few of our more knowledgeable punters can tell us whether the naked dancers in Nana and Cowboy are performing in bars owned or controlled by important policemen. (If that is at all possible in this country?)

There is no nudity at Nana. All the girls are tastefully dressed in bikinis or coyote outfits. Certain bars on soi Cowboy are able to "get away with" a litle more, but I won't name them. Pattaya is another case altogether and has a great system of flashing warning lights when the girls need to cover up!

• Like 1

"Police Spokesman Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri said they were a great number of entertainment venues, such as night clubs, karaoke bars"

I think someone forgot to proof read it before publishing...

What prostitution they are talking about? Does prostitution exist in Thailand? I thought it is illegal. Are night clubs, karaoke bars and restaurants venues of prostitution. May be I should look out for my order in MK next time...LOL...

• Like 1

Love to see how RTP will clean up Ratchada. Many powerful backers behind the venues. Or, it's just another slogan. The big fish will still be in tact whereas the small fish get the frying pan.

This is exactly what I think will happen.

Thailand`s sex industry will fall under the control of the so-called up market establishments, ultra expensive prices way out of the leagues of the average clientele, whereas the small fry will be thrown out of the competition. Then it becomes a case of less supply and increased demand. Chiang Mai began this policy several years ago.

For those who enjoy some wine, women and song, the party`s over folks.

• Like 1

And how many of all the entertainment venues in Thailand that offers play for pay are legal, 1%?

If those venues provide prostitutes and prostitution is illegal in the LOS how do you reach the conclusion Nana, Cowboy etc are legal venues ?

"Police Spokesman Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri said they were a great number of entertainment venues, such as night clubs, karaoke bars"

I think someone forgot to proof read it before publishing...

What prostitution they are talking about? Does prostitution exist in Thailand? I thought it is illegal. Are night clubs, karaoke bars and restaurants venues of prostitution. May be I should look out for my order in MK next time...LOL...

You should be safe in MK, although waitresses have been known to partake in freelance activities after hours! But you'll find most Thai karaoke bars (especially those with "fairy" lights outside) are not just for practising your vocal range, and nightclubs are usually full of working girls. As long as it's not conducted promiscuously or on the premises, all perfectly legal. Have fun!

Edited by brewsterbudgen

If those venues provide prostitutes and prostitution is illegal in the LOS how do you reach the conclusion Nana, Cowboy etc are legal venues ?

I wonder how many times one has to post "Read the thread"???

I give up.....beatdeadhorse.gif

• Like 2