Yellow Book and National parks.

Gonsalviz

I went to Tat Ton National park, showed my 5 year DL. No longer good enough. Now you have carry a yellow book.

I am wondering if I will have to start carrying a file cabinet to show the different authorities what they want to see.

I have asked at my local amphur about a yellow book. They just stare in wonder.

Fair enough. If you want discount as a local show your residency.

What's that got to do with anything? Most of us pay more taxes than the locals and get treated like tourists who pay no tax. Tax payers contribute to park maintenance through their taxes, so we have already payed our dues. Anyone who works here ho pays tax (can show wp/teacher licence, etc), should get the local rate. That's how it works at Khao Yai and that should be the standard. Anywhere else is a rip off.

What's that got to do with anything? Most of us pay more taxes than the locals and get treated like tourists who pay no tax. Tax payers contribute to park maintenance through their taxes, so we have already payed our dues. Anyone who works here ho pays tax (can show wp/teacher licence, etc), should get the local rate. That's how it works at Khao Yai and that should be the standard. Anywhere else is a rip off.

What that got to do with anything? Taxes have nothing to do with the reason for allowing locals / citizens to pay less. But the fact "most of us" as you say pay more taxes would indicate we can afford to pay a couple dollars more to enjoy a national park in a less developed nation.

I have lived near Amusement parks and beaches in the US where they also extended discounts to locals as well as places that provide discounts for students, youngsters and elders who all pay less taxes.

If your going to whine before even getting into the place then better not to go.

I never have a problem getting the Thai price, if the DL doesn't work just show the WP.

File cabinet indeed.

I carry my DL and my Thai tax card. Works 90% of the time. If it doesn't, I smile, turn around, and leave. They's no cure for xenophobia. It is what it is. There are too many other places in the world to go and see than to worry about a few places in Thailand that want to treat guests like ATMs.

• Like 2

What that got to do with anything? Taxes have nothing to do with the reason for allowing locals / citizens to pay less. But the fact "most of us" as you say pay more taxes would indicate we can afford to pay a couple dollars more to enjoy a national park in a less developed nation.

I have lived near Amusement parks and beaches in the US where they also extended discounts to locals as well as places that provide discounts for students, youngsters and elders who all pay less taxes.

If your going to whine before even getting into the place then better not to go.

If any State or National park in the US charged foreigners more than US citizens, it would end up in court: Discrimination, violation of civil rights, and probably a civil class action suit seeking compensation for the years the 'dual-pricing' was in effect. Actually, probably in most Western countries. And if the places you mentioned extend discounts to locals, they are on a slippery slope imho. Dual pricing is discrimintory (unless there is some legal precedent set in state or federal law that says otherwise).

"If any State or National park in the US charged foreigners more than US citizens, it would end up in court"

If they charged a different price for men vs. women there'd be hell to pay, but to charge less for the owners is perfectly legal.

The San Francisco Zoo has days when locals get in free. Proof of residency required.

Why are places that give discounts to locals on a slippery slope. In the UK I lived close but not to close to Alton Towers (a theme park) but people who lived in the villages close by, about a 5 mile radius got free access passes to the theme park as a way of compensating the locals for the inconvenience caused by visitors traffic which at times made getting in and out of the local villages difficult (helped stop complaints from locals)

If any State or National park in the US charged foreigners more than US citizens...

If you are a foreigner that wants to hunt or fish in a State or National park in the US you have to pay significantly more than a US Citizen.

"If any State or National park in the US charged foreigners more than US citizens, it would end up in court"

If they charged a different price for men vs. women there'd be hell to pay, but to charge less for the owners is perfectly legal.

The San Francisco Zoo has days when locals get in free. Proof of residency required.

do you pay taxes in Thailand?

What about out of state tuition in the US?

If you live in Ohio and want to go to school in California, the tuition will be much higher, yes?

But I'm sure that doesn't count right?

Come into the US illegally and many states will offer the illegal's children in-state tuition, grants, etc. And yet, it you say your from another state -- higher tuition for you.

Obviously that is one of the legal precedents that are on the books. Based on Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the federal statute which makes it illegal for employers to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, and national origin, you can pretty much assume that 'discrimination' will extend to venues such as discriminatory tuition IF the discimination is based on race, color, religion, sex, and national origin. So your correct, dual pricing base on state residency would not be considered discriminatory at universities. However, having a dual pricing scheme for foreigners vs US citizens/residents at National Parks would end up in court, because your discriminating based on national origin of the visitor.

How does SF let locals into the Zoo at discounted prices or for free? Don't know. I'd be interested to know though.

I've done some digging. Here's an agenda item on the SF city council books:

1. File 193-97-2 . [San Francisco Zoo Admission Policy] Hearing to consider the issue of the San Francisco Zoo providing admission to San Francisco residents on the same basis as members of the Zoo Society. (Supervisor Ammiano) So, it seems as though they'll consider SF residents to have prima facie membership akin to being a member of the zoo society.
Edited by connda

do you pay taxes in Thailand?

Yes I do.

Edited by connda

What about out of state tuition in the US?

If you live in Ohio and want to go to school in California, the tuition will be much higher, yes?

But I'm sure that doesn't count right?

However, having a dual pricing scheme for foreigners vs US citizens/residents at National Parks would end up in court, because your discriminating based on national origin of the visitor.

Again, If you are a foreigner that wants to hunt or fish in a State or National park in the US you have to pay significantly more than a US Citizen.

• Like 1

If any State or National park in the US charged foreigners more than US citizens, it would end up in court: Discrimination, violation of civil rights, and probably a civil class action suit seeking compensation for the years the 'dual-pricing' was in effect. Actually, probably in most Western countries. And if the places you mentioned extend discounts to locals, they are on a slippery slope imho. Dual pricing is discrimintory (unless there is some legal precedent set in state or federal law that says otherwise).

And your point is ?

Odd man. We now proclaim master "Culicine"----you no longer have to pay 2.00 US dollars entering our parks---You are Magical!-----You arenow thai and have no more claims as you pay the 10.00 Thai tax!--------------------Culicine--Magic Man from Afar!

IDIOT!

Again, If you are a foreigner that wants to hunt or fish in a State or National park in the US you have to pay significantly more than a US Citizen.

Numerous state parks charge more to out of state visitors and there is a bill now being debated to increase National Park fees for foreigners. But ultimately Thailand is not the US and each country has their own laws.

The US also has many people extremely sensitive to political correctness and racism. This combined with the fact the US is a melting pot, it would cause many problems and delays entering a park as foreigners are not as easy to identify as many would be in Thailand. The overwhelming vast majority of non-asians in Thailand are not citizens as well as those who cannot speak Thai fluently and without accent.

You were that Idiot complaining you were thai as you lived there for 3 years. Just to shut your German mouth I had to pay 2.10 cents. By the way we eventually had a laugh. You were, as usual complaining about the silverware---they kicked you out of the restaurant-------Funny boy to ruin everyones time for a spoon and 2 dollars.--------------why?!

What in the world are you babbling about and to whom and to what point?

You are responding to my post yet I have never said I was Thai, have lived in Thailand longer than 3-years and am not German and have absolutely no idea what silverware you are speaking about and can't recall ever being kicked out of a restaurant.

Let's keep it civil here, guys, two posts removed for not reading the Forum Rules:

Posting Content & General Conduct
7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Mac

To go back to the original post - this is in fact not new, its the official rule. Its the acceptance of a driving license as "proof of residency" by some parks, against the official instruction of the Department of National Parks (which is very clear regarding what a "resident" is), that creates confusion.

A driving license has never been officially accepted (as to the rules), its just some parks have been lax (maybe fairer) in this area. So your National Park in question has just started implementing the rules, maybe a new park chief or someone checking entrance receipts has provided a clarification to the gate. As prices in many parks are now going up again, a new instruction will be issued and its possible that a number of the "lax" (fairer?) parks will start to tighten up shortly.

• Like 1

Your not in the US are you!!! Vote with your feet if your not happy! I recently went to Khao Sam Roi Yoy National Park in Prachuap Kiri Khan. They refused my WP as their boss told them to charge all foreigners. I was nice about it and decided not to cause a fuss as we were on a family day out. They then allowed my son in for free! We went on to have one of the best days of our lives! The park was amazing and well worth 200 baht! A zoo back home in the UK would cost about 5,000 baht( 100 pounds) to get into!!

I went to a park in Lampang with a truck load of locals. This park had a Falang Price a thai price and the locals got in free. They did not want to accept my DL so all the locals started berating the guy and he eventually let me in for the local price. Free.

Other parks I have been allowed to use my DL, some have asked for my WP. Some have refused no matter what documents I had. I am now getting a yellow book and will carry that with me whenever I go. Every bit of documentations helps.