True Docsis 2.0

gzu88bv

My mind boggles and I just want to understand, so please explain me.

I run a Windows 7 64-bit system and have True Docsis 2.0 installed.

I am happy with the speed that I get when I test it against Bangkok as enclosed.

When I run those tests against Swiss servers most of the results are however rather dismal, with the exception of one server from Zug.

Since I am interested in content rather from the West than of Thailand, I just want to understand and I ask some of the more savvy users how this problem could be solved. Tell me, is this a matter of my provider True Online, who just slows down most of the Swiss servers, or is it that I just run against slow Swiss servers in general what actually does not make sense to me.

Thank you for your help.

post-24939-0-57173300-1422765685_thumb.j

post-24939-0-48631700-1422765707_thumb.j

post-24939-0-71287700-1422765726_thumb.j

You think 4.93 mbit against swiss is slow??

No ISP in Thailand provides fast international speeds except for business packages.

Ditto to that.

I'm currently of the opinion if you want internet primarily for international connections, paying for anything more than a 15M service in Thailand is throwing your money away, since whatever speed you get intra Thai isn't going to affect one bit the international connection speed

I too have a TrueOnline DOCSIS 2.0 plan...the 15Mb/1.5Mb plan. All Thai ISPs have slow international gateways/speeds. They just don't buy enough international bandwidth. The packages/plans they advertise are for "domestic/in-Thailand" speed only. For international speed you will typically get in the 2Mb to 6Mb ballpark regardless of your speed plan. And since Speedtest.net is a flash/OOKLA-based speed tester it can be easily fooled by local cache servers and give bogus/high international download speeds and faster-than-light ping times. Best to use a Java-based speed tester that are much harder to fool. Testmy.net is a good one to use...it will give you real world results.

A lot of stuff is cached in Thailand or Singapore, so local speed still helps. FYI - old thread,i tested bandwidth from New York back to Thailand - was crap too.

The reason for that is because the Thai govt was probably trying to apply a 30% customs duty or excise tax to the inbound international internet electrons/photons which slowed down their entry to the Thailand server. tongue.png

No need.... Cost of international bandwidth was very steep under the CAT monopoly. Common complaint is BW from Thailand to ie a server in the US, but most forget when they are in the US, they are accessing it through local network, not thru transatlantic fibres.

Us to Thai server BW sucks too