Minimalist living in Pattaya

georgegeorgia

And since the 800K baht on deposit method is fairly straight forward to verify, I will assume that they are less than honest on the 65k/month part they are affirming at their embassy

Most of them can't do that. Yes American just have to lie to their Embassy to get a Retirement Extension, but most other people have to prove to their Embassy that they really have the revenues they declare.

I think its about 40-45k a month so i often wonder how they get the 800k in the bank..i guess they have it ?

Sad to say, but even if officially it's more controlled (with by example obligation to go to Bangkok for the first extension) in practice any "Visa Office" in Pattaya will tell you that for 12 or 15'000 baht they will get you this extension. (no doc, no embassy or bank letter, and no trip to Bangkok required)...

By the way, nothing against the minimalist point of view, but how many of them actually qualify for retirement either by the 800K baht on deposit or the 65k Baht income method? I am suspecting many would not qualify. And since the 800K baht on deposit method is fairly straight forward to verify, I will assume that they are less than honest on the 65k/month part they are affirming at their embassy

Half of the people in my country(USA) don't even make 65k a month so isn't such an income requirement quite elitist? I personally get by on $10 a day in America(10k baht/month) since my house is inherited. I'm not starving at all.

By the way, nothing against the minimalist point of view, but how many of them actually qualify for retirement either by the 800K baht on deposit or the 65k Baht income method? I am suspecting many would not qualify. And since the 800K baht on deposit method is fairly straight forward to verify, I will assume that they are less than honest on the 65k/month part they are affirming at their embassy

Half of the people in my country(USA) don't even make 65k a month so isn't such an income requirement quite elitist? I personally get by on $10 a day in America(10k baht/month) since my house is inherited. I'm not starving at all.

What exactly is the connection between income levels in the US and miinimum income levels required of a foreigner to stay in Thailand? And why should be interested in how little you live on in the US? As far as I am aware this thread is about scraping along in dear old Pattaya or rather those who choose to scrape along in tramp-like fashion, like a friend of mine who walks around in threadbare shirts, you know the ones, tears, holes and rips and says in response to the accusation that they look awful that the said item is 'comfortable'.

What exactly is the connection between income levels in the US and miinimum income levels required of a foreigner to stay in Thailand? And why should be interested in how little you live on in the US? As far as I am aware this thread is about scraping along in dear old Pattaya or rather those who choose to scrape along in tramp-like fashion, like a friend of mine who walks around in threadbare shirts, you know the ones, tears, holes and rips and says in response to the accusation that they look awful that the said item is 'comfortable'.

Because 65k a month is beyond what many guys have. Simple as that. My wife gets by on 10k a month and she isn't starving so why does Mr. Foreigner need 65k a month?

Because 65k a month is beyond what many guys have. Simple as that. My wife gets by on 10k a month and she isn't starving so why does Mr. Foreigner need 65k a month?

Because your wife is Thai and isnt expected to have 16 hours a day to fill in. Same justification applies to teachers on 30k a month in govt schools. If your wife can live on 10k a month, more power to her - that would pay my rent and that's it. Thai people live in my building and most of the surrounding apartments are 10k plus - cheapest i've seen personallly is 3k a month and I wouldnt live there by choice, but Thai people make 1000 baht go a lot further. Again, I tip my hat to them - its just not where I'm headed if I can help it.

Good post Fey

So true about the cost of living in Thailand.

Some Falang never really left the place they came from

Never eat Thai food.

Never mix with Thais.

Never try to talk Thai at all.

Only go to Falang hang outs.

I like to think I do about 70 / 30 of the above 30 is the Falang side

My Thai is crap.!!!!!

Edited by onemorechang

Because 65k a month is beyond what many guys have. Simple as that.

My wife gets by on 10k a month and she isn't starving so why does Mr.

Foreigner need 65k a month?

Can't you understand this "65K" if a kind of selection/filter ?

Thailand just doesn't want to be invaded by "poor people" from Western countries

who would prefer to live in the sun than in the Britain rain & cold.

• Like 1

Because 65k a month is beyond what many guys have. Simple as that.

My wife gets by on 10k a month and she isn't starving so why does Mr.

Foreigner need 65k a month?

Can't you understand this "65K" if a kind of selection/filter ?

Thailand just doesn't want to be invaded by "poor people" from Western countries

who would prefer to live in the sun than in the Britain rain & cold.

A filter only works if there's no by-pass. Any agent will get you a retirement extension without funds -- just pay the fee.

A filter only works if there's no by-pass.

Any agent will get you a retirement extension without funds -- just pay the fee.

The filter was the idea behind the rules for those who made the law.

The fact some Immigration Officers may "implement the law differently" is another problem sad.png

BTW I know well about this problem. From my previous message on this page :

// in practice any "Visa Office" in Pattaya will tell you that for 12 or 15'000 baht they will get you this extension.

• Like 1

You never know when you might need your money...thats why u shouldnt waste it.

Most of your friends will bugger off and leave u when your broke or sick.

The mean guys will have run out of friends long before then. Typically loners as past friends tire of the tightness and the eternal focus on cheapness in everything.

Haggle haggle...one of the things i did this morning actually for bananas...but i do it with politeness and a smile not like you see some people shouting and going berserk...no need for that !

Another thing i do is write down everything i spend ...how many of you bother to do that ?

HOw many have a budget for next week? Next month ?

I bought second hand shoes over the weekend from the Thrappasit night market..Nike pratically new haggled down with a smile to 70 baht..these will last about 5 years ...I am now washing them and they are drying on my balcony.

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

Hard to tell if you get your money from a Farang country.

I would only give you credit under certain conditions:

Your income must come in a stable currency like THB, you must support a Thai family, all your money must be spent in Thailand, credit only for a short time.

For Farangs, the stable currency condition will be hardest.

I will certainly not support Farang scam economies where the banks take it all.

Beloved pets? Don't think you & I are living in the same country. I have rescued dogs - all thrown away by their "beloved" owners in various states of starvation & disease. The way many Thais treat their animals is appalling - no, not all - many.

Couldnt agree more. Many Thais have a child's appreciation of animal welfare : a puppy or kitten is fantastic when its small and cute but as they grow older they're no longer so desirable. Understandable at 8 years of age - less so at 28.

• Like 1

Minimalist? Single in Thailand? I can live very well with 300 EU/month.

The biggest surprise I had in Thailand was the low cost of living in towns outside the tourist areas.

After spending a short vacation before moving here permanently, I researched prices in BK, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Pattaya, etc, and moved expecting to spend at least 1200 EU/month between rent and food. I do not drink, do not smoke, and I do no frequent bars. Never paid for sex too.

But, I like gardening and nice surroundings, and I cannot live in any condominium, just houses. After many days looking around Chiang Mai, and frustrated with prices and conditions, I found a small modern house by the Phayao lake, about 1 hour from Chiang Rai and 2 hours from Chiang Mai, with a rental cost of just 80 EU/month, with free 3BB internet. A small paradise. Cooking my self, but with sporadic stops in restaurants and coffee shops, sometimes with other foreigners living and working here. Even meeting and dating 2 to 3 times a week, sometimes getting the bus and paying hotel in nearby cities, using my motorbike just to get around my home, my total monthly living expenses were no more of 400 EU/month...and I knew that can be a lot lower eliminating some "luxuries". My only extra expense was to pay 20000THB every year to a visa service to get my extension, because I do not have enough savings to show it.

Now, married, living in a bigger house, my spending some times is double of that, also because we have a car and we like to travel around, but still very cheap. And I do not have to pay a visa service anymore.

Another surprise in Thailand..The low cost of plane tickets to fly inside Thailand and to other close Asian countries. I was not expecting to have enough savings to do that. I took the chance to go to Indonesia, Philippines and Burma for short vacations.

Life in Thailand is a lot better than I was expecting...in every sense.

Just right. When I was single, and living in Lampang area, that was my budget, and I had a great time!

I believe that 10000THB is about the minimum salary in Thailand. I cannot have the life I had in Lampang in the USA, with an USA minimum salary that is about 4 to 5 times more......and feeling also good about myself , happier and healthier.