Minimalist living in Pattaya

georgegeorgia

Hyku...not sure why you posted pictures..its true though a good minimalist doesnt eat to excess..however not all fat people are lazy and i think the pics just mock those people pictured..but thats my opinion.

Lets talk about being a minimalist and Laziness...a good minimalist is not Lazy....laziness just like greediness can lead to your downfall.

Not getting things done on time...not planning for bills...not keeping receipts...using buses and taxis instead of walking when u can...etc are just laziness that cost you money.

Not planning budgeting for next months bills..going to 711 and paying more because your too lazy to walk to tesco etc..not washing dishes up..not making bed every morning is laziness.

Having a tidy well organised house is what real minimalists have...well organised ..where you can see tins of food fruit etc so none of it expires or goes bad before you eat it.

Now I have rituals or routines in my life where every morning im usually up sametime...bed made first thing..breakfast cooked and dishes washed..

i also keep all my folders and my receipts in plastic sleeves and my utility bills neat and tidy.

I have a book where i keep all my daily expenses and my future monthly bill dates.

At the moment one of my goals is to cut my electricity bill in half so i have avoided turning on lights or using the electric hotplates and eating more raw foods.

i am opening my door to let light in...i have a security screen door in my studio apartment so usually open the door to let cooling air in or let light in and still have a locked door.

i was at one stage using battery lamps for light but i think the batteries exceeded the electrcity price..lol.

one thing i do religiously and i bet many of you do too...is TURN OFF all powerpoints before you go out or go to bed....makes good sense not only because of fire safety but saves you electrcity by turning things OFF from the powerpoint too.

Next month i plan to cut my food bill by cutting my eating and yes lose some weight..i luv cheese so the nonth of April my food budget will be 1500 baht by eating smaller meals consisting of fruit tuna and raw vegies.

You dont need fancy ipads etc to keep track of your time and inventory...i was quite amazed recently at seeing a nephew of mine carrying an Ipad writing his time etc on it....he tried to show me how he uses this App..that App etc for time ...one for budget..one for this one for that ...OMG just use a writing pad ..bloody hell ...just use a calendar stuck to the fridge and write the bills coming up so u can plan these things...no need to get fancy complicated ipads or computer programs...ridicilous.

You dont need fancy computer programs to manage your time...

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

Hyku...not sure why you posted pictures..its true though a good minimalist doesnt eat to excess..however not all fat people are lazy and i think the pics just mock those people pictured..but thats my opinion.

Lets talk about being a minimalist and Laziness...a good minimalist is not Lazy....laziness just like greediness can lead to your downfall.

Not getting things done on time...not planning for bills...not keeping receipts...using buses and taxis instead of walking when u can...etc are just laziness that cost you money.

Not planning budgeting for next months bills..going to 711 and paying more because your too lazy to walk to tesco etc..not washing dishes up..not making bed every morning is laziness.

Having a tidy well organised house is what real minimalists have...well organised ..where you can see tins of food fruit etc so none of it expires or goes bad before you eat it.

Now I have rituals or routines in my life where every morning im usually up sametime...bed made first thing..breakfast cooked and dishes washed..

i also keep all my folders and my receipts in plastic sleeves and my utility bills neat and tidy.

I have a book where i keep all my daily expenses and my future monthly bill dates.

At the moment one of my goals is to cut my electricity bill in half so i have avoided turning on lights or using the electric hotplates and eating more raw foods.

i am opening my door to let light in...i have a security screen door in my studio apartment so usually open the door to let cooling air in or let light in and still have a locked door.

i was at one stage using battery lamps for light but i think the batteries exceeded the electrcity price..lol.

one thing i do religiously and i bet many of you do too...is TURN OFF all powerpoints before you go out or go to bed....makes good sense not only because of fire safety but saves you electrcity by turning things OFF from the powerpoint too.

Next month i plan to cut my food bill by cutting my eating and yes lose some weight..i luv cheese so the nonth of April my food budget will be 1500 baht by eating smaller meals consisting of fruit tuna and raw vegies.

You dont need fancy ipads etc to keep track of your time and inventory...i was quite amazed recently at seeing a nephew of mine carrying an Ipad writing his time etc on it....he tried to show me how he uses this App..that App etc for time ...one for budget..one for this one for that ...OMG just use a writing pad ..bloody hell ...just use a calendar stuck to the fridge and write the bills coming up so u can plan these things...no need to get fancy complicated ipads or computer programs...ridicilous.

Living in the dark and eating raw food to save electric?

Yea... And who needs a computer when a pencil and paper will do just fine.

Tuna is known to contain high levels of Mercury, due to contamination of its food chain by pullutants.

By the way, why do you keep receipts? Of major items i can understand, but not for every can of tuna or roll of toilet paper You do use toilet paper, right?

Computers are a milestone of human achievement. Telling your nephew not to use one is rather sad. Are you a minimalist of a Luddite?

Edited by paddyjenkins
  • Like 1

farangs should be prepared to be minimalist. when crisis will hit your little country (USA, UK,... ), Ssn and other ponzy schemes, to maintain you alive in Thailand, will be the first thing in the ejection seat of your lovely nanny government. then we will see who laugh the best...

Edited by VIPinthailand

farangs should be prepared to be minimalist. when crisis will hit your little country (USA, UK,... ), Ssn and other ponzy schemes, to maintain you alive in Thailand, will be the first thing in the ejection seat of your lovely nanny government. then we will see who laugh the best...

I guess you are committed to one long heroic struggle.

• Like 1

Coming up.....the guy who considers himself upmarket for using Mach 3 razorblades, who shaves every day and proudly claims to make each and every blade last a whole month. Presumably more than a month in February. I might just ask him.....

Minimalist tip: Oil the blades after using them, stopping rust, and keeping the edge sharp. You can also sharpen the blade by running the razor backwards down a piece of denim... although the safety rails on modern razors interfere with this.

What do you oil them with ?

As most of you know i usually handwash my clothes then hang them up on my sun drenched balcony.

Today i felt like I should use the washing machine to wash my towels so i headed downstairs to the laundry room..

I have only done it once before...BUT ..i decided rather than blow this months budget on using the washing machine plus the coin operated dryer...I would put my washing in someones else machine that was already going...luckily I got back just as the washing machine was finishing and took my clothes out....

Yes i did have thoughts of opening one of the already going dryers and throwing my clothes in with someone elses but i thought i dont want to bite off mote than i can chew just in case the users of the dryer do come down and catch me taking my clothes out from there dryer...so i just took them up to my balcony...well saved 20 baht on the washing anyway.

What do you oil them with ?

As most of you know i usually handwash my clothes then hang them up on my sun drenched balcony.

Today i felt like I should use the washing machine to wash my towels so i headed downstairs to the laundry room..

I have only done it once before...BUT ..i decided rather than blow this months budget on using the washing machine plus the coin operated dryer...I would put my washing in someones else machine that was already going...luckily I got back just as the washing machine was finishing and took my clothes out....

Yes i did have thoughts of opening one of the already going dryers and throwing my clothes in with someone elses but i thought i dont want to bite off mote than i can chew just in case the users of the dryer do come down and catch me taking my clothes out from there dryer...so i just took them up to my balcony...well saved 20 baht on the washing anyway.

Well congratulations on the free laundry. We should all do that. Well done.

Now pat yourself on the back, go enjoy a raw banana in your hot dark room and count the fortune you saved this week.

You can save the baht bus money too by gently laying on the trunk of a car. Try it.

Most of the time they don't even suspect you are back there. People never look in the rear view mirror I noticed.

Why would anyone pay a baht bus?

Edited by joesanunu

BAHT BUS..I admit i have a minimalist friend Moshe..who im not proud of...but he tells me he has gotten off with a group of other passengers who have gone to pay...the BB driver sometimes thinks he s with them..if the driver looks at him suspiciously he waits behind them..when they pay he pretends to make small talk and walks with them ..the driver then drives off too oblivious to the fact Moshe wasnt with the family or group who obviously didnt realise they paid for him too.. .not something i would do..but still the driver is getting paid.

BAHT BUS..I admit i have a minimalist friend Moshe..who im not proud of...but he tells me he has gotten off with a group of other passengers who have gone to pay...the BB driver sometimes thinks he s with them..if the driver looks at him suspiciously he waits behind them..when they pay he pretends to make small talk and walks with them ..the driver then drives off too oblivious to the fact Moshe wasnt with the family or group who obviously didnt realise they paid for him too.. .not something i would do..but still the driver is getting paid.

If he is that hard up then he should go and live as a parasite in his own country. If he isn't that hard up then perhaps he could consider one last free trip from the top of a high rise.

OK, georgegeorgia, I've suspected you were winding us up for a while now but your washing machine story takes the cake. It's pretty tragic that you feel the need to have a little fun at the expense of a few old blokes on limited incomes, but anyone looking to emulate you runs the risk of getting a punch in the mouth. As for your alleged baht bus buddy 'Moshe' (nice - racism slid so neatly into a thread about cheapskates), ask Jingthing how things go when you get on the wrong side of a baht bus driver. You've had your fun - time to give it a rest.

Great tips, I see a lot of tourists paying 20 baht for a ride when its 10 baht so just get off and watch them hand over a 20 baht note and walk happily away. Edited by balo

spending your life fudging over small details is not minimalist, it's anal.

very different animals.

• Like 2

spending your life fudging over small details is not minimalist, it's anal.

very different animals.

minimalist is the new anal-ist ? w00t.gif

• Like 1

I think we all haggle dont we ?

I do it politely with a smile..i dont bother using a calculator ...and not do i bother with what people think of me...

I will say that again..I dont care what others think..i did have a farang tourist couple mock me or whatever u can call it last week..i was haggling with a market stall holder who i have dealt with before..this Australian couple who were standing nearby heard me and the man decided to start being silly repeating my haggling thinking its funny and his girlfriend was laughing .

Now at first i ignored them...then they still kept doing it..even the market stall holder by this time was ignoring him...yes i have stopped caring what others think..even yesterday i was outside a pharmacy with a friend ..i was commenting out loud about it was cheaper for caps here or something like that and comparing prices when a nosy farang stuck his nose in..i think he was a touristoo..he starts saying "why worry about the price its still cheap or something like that with a nasty look on his face...

.i dont mind talking to other people but if you make nasty comments in the street i ignore you.

I remember last year i was buying paint to paint my studio room..iwas bargaining over the price because i was buying 2 tins..plus getting some curtains made ..only to have a farang stick his big nose in at the store counter and come between me and the store owner to shout to me that it was still cheap and no need to bargain ...the store owner has to make a profit he said..So I told him please mind your own business!It has nothing to do with you..!!

Now i really dont care what others think when haggling But better to do it when others customers cant hear you...most stire owners and big Dept stores will always take baht off.

Edited by georgegeorgia

Frugalism and Minimalism is not about being mean..its about getting value.

Another thing I want i want to mention is checking checkbins...when my nephew was visting me last month...I took him to several restaurants..he would order different soft drinks etc..i always always checked the checkbin after ...i already had an idea of price because i added up via the menu before we ordered but sometimes he would order extra during our meal so i could only make an assumption of how much extra the drink or whatever was..BUT i had an idea on my head how much the final checkbin would be...and caught a few out !!

So please dont feel silly...or no confidence to check the bin if your calculations dont work out.

I will tell you something .many bars will use a type of "psychology"to add extra to your bin..if you are with a group they will add extra because they think if your paying and they see you as underconfident you will pay without asking to see the checkbin or questioning it because you will feel embarrassed in front of your group...(especiallyif the staff have been nice to your group).so anyway the manager uses "business psychology"..and adds another 1000 baht to the bill...but doesnt bring the checkbin to your table just the waitress carrying a piece of paper with 6880 baht or whatever for your groups meals..shes so nice makes your group laugh on arriving at the table..they all love her...then she hands the paper to you

leader of the group still smiling...of course you know the final price is bullshit BUT you aint going to make a fool of yourself ...everyone either chips in or you pay now and they pay later or whatever but still the bill is paid BECAUSe everyone is too embarrassed to question it ...not me and not my group of friends..no matter how nice they are to me .

Edited by georgegeorgia

I think we all haggle dont we ?

I do it politely with a smile..i dont bother using a calculator ...and not do i bother with what people think of me...

I will say that again..I dont care what others think..i did have a farang tourist couple mock me or whatever u can call it last week..i was haggling with a market stall holder who i have dealt with before..this Australian couple who were standing nearby heard me and the man decided to start being silly repeating my haggling thinking its funny and his girlfriend was laughing .

Now at first i ignored them...then they still kept doing it..even the market stall holder by this time was ignoring him...yes i have stopped caring what others think..even yesterday i was outside a pharmacy with a friend ..i was commenting out loud about it was cheaper for caps here or something like that and comparing prices when a nosy farang stuck his nose in..i think he was a touristoo..he starts saying "why worry about the price its still cheap or something like that with a nasty look on his face...

.i dont mind talking to other people but if you make nasty comments in the street i ignore you.

I remember last year i was buying paint to paint my studio room..iwas bargaining over the price because i was buying 2 tins..plus getting some curtains made ..only to have a farang stick his big nose in at the store counter and come between me and the store owner to shout to me that it was still cheap and no need to bargain ...the store owner has to make a profit he said..So I told him please mind your own business!It has nothing to do with you..!!

Now i really dont care what others think when haggling But better to do it when others customers cant hear you...most stire owners and big Dept stores will always take baht off.

If you really don't care about what others think of you, then why do you complain about them?

Edited by micmichd

I will tell you something .many bars will use a type of "psychology"to add extra to your bin..if you are with a group they will add extra because they think if your paying and they see you as underconfident you will pay without asking to see the checkbin or questioning it because you will feel embarrassed in front of your group...(especiallyif the staff have been nice to your group).so anyway the manager uses "business psychology"..and adds another 1000 baht to the bill...but doesnt bring the checkbin to your table just the waitress carrying a piece of paper with 6880 baht or whatever for your groups meals..shes so nice makes your group laugh on arriving at the table..they all love her...then she hands the paper to you

leader of the group still smiling...of course you know the final price is bullshit BUT you aint going to make a fool of yourself ...everyone either chips in or you pay now and they pay later or whatever but still the bill is paid BECAUSe everyone is too embarrassed to question it ...not me and not my group of friends..no matter how nice they are to me .

I dont know where you've eaten, but in my experience this is total and utter BS. Getting the change wrong - OK, that does happen and I suspect its often deliberate - but refusing to present you with anything other than a piece of paper with a number on it ? Not gonna happen but anyone who allows the waitress to cart the checkbin off without doing their own calculations first is only asking to be ripped off anyway. A thousand baht suddenly added to a ~6K bill ? Please .... unless you are talking a large group of people fresh off the plane I simply dont believe that.

It does happen..and of your a shrewd business owner you could easily do this.

I wont go into business psychological detail...im not running a business at the moment..but any psychologist can tell you about making someone feel guilty by asking to check the bin.

BUT im sorry we are getting off topic..we are talking about frugalism ..that is the point im making is...

1/dont be afraid to ask for a discount ..whether your at a big store or not.please try it..they can only say no...try to do that without other customers hearing.

2/dont feel embarrassed to ask to see a itemised checkbin...ask nicely..

3/show confidence in yourself..dont let others use you..you dont have to walk around like a big man with a scowl on his face though..it doesn't mean that...i still have a smile and friendly personality and say hello to everyone if they are nice to me..it just means learning and having the confidence to say NO ! to someone pressuring you into something...many people cannot work out how to be nice and still have confidence and assertiveness too..they feel like they have to be "on guard" 24 hours.

Give an example of this...i was visting a farang friend and i sat outside under a canopy waiting for him..i decided to indulge in a 40 baht lunch while waiting and got talking to some motorbike taxi drivers also seated...just friendly banter..when my checkbin arrived it was 90 baht...the lady told me it was 50 baht for a beer for the MB taxi driver ..im sorry i pay only 40 baht.i dont know even know him..havent got a clue who he is ...unlikely i will ever see him again.

But i could of easily avoided this by having a scowl face and being over assertiveness not talking to the MB taxi driver etc..but i didnt because if they talk to me first i will talk nicely back..but diesnt mean that u can use me.

Edited by georgegeorgia

It does happen..and of your a shrewd business owner you could easily do this.

I wont go into business psychological detail...im not running a business at the moment..but any psychologist can tell you about making someone feel guilty by asking to check the bin.

BUT im sorry we are getting off topic..we are talking about frugalism ..that is the point im making is...

1/dont be afraid to ask for a discount ..whether your at a big store or not.please try it..they can only say no...try to do that without other customers hearing.

2/dont feel embarrassed to ask to see a itemised checkbin...ask nicely..

3/show confidence in yourself..dont let others use you..you dont have to walk around like a big man with a scowl on his face though..it doesn't mean that...i still have a smile and friendly personality and say hello to everyone if they are nice to me..it just means learning and having the confidence to say NO ! to someone pressuring you into something...many people cannot work out how to be nice and still have confidence and assertiveness too..they feel like they have to be "on guard" 24 hours.

Give an example of this...i was visting a farang friend and i sat outside under a canopy waiting for him..i decided to indulge in a 40 baht lunch while waiting and got talking to some motorbike taxi drivers also seated...just friendly banter..when my checkbin arrived it was 90 baht...the lady told me it was 50 baht for a beer for the MB taxi driver ..im sorry i pay only 40 baht.i dont know even know him..havent got a clue who he is ...unlikely i will ever see him again.

But i could of easily avoided this by having a scowl face and being over assertiveness not talking to the MB taxi driver etc..but i didnt because if they talk to me first i will talk nicely back..but diesnt mean that u can use me.

George, as someone who appears to know it all, why are you constantly posting your life experiences here? Get on with your life, live it as you want, it is your life. Do you have any real, not virtual people to talk to? If not maybe next time you meet a new friend (victim), just chat about the weather or something. Listen to people and talk to them, not AT them.

Chock dee

• Like 1

Don't be so smug. The next crisis/crash will be global.

Prices for real estate in Thailand could begin falling as early as June this year, if interest rates in the US are hiked up.

Also, the world derivative market is staggering. It's many times the total world economy.

China is sitting on the largest real estate bubble in the history of the world.

You think because you're in Thailand you'll be magically unaffected if there's a global crisis?

• Like 1

Being a minimalist is also about doing things yourself instead of paying..sometimes this is hard ..for example walking instead of getting a mbike taxi etc.

Sometimes we pay people to do things because we are lazy..or its quicker or more convenient. ..other times because we dont bother to learn how to do it ourselves.

Today i had met up a aqaitance who was taking his clothes to have buttons sewed back on that had snapped off due to his weight .

I asked him why he didnt sew his own buttons on?

"Why do I have to when i can pay someone he said.

Truth is...he doesnt know how to sew a button on..not his fault he has never been taught.

Part of life..even if your retired is to maintain your life skills..to learn how to look after yourself..whether that be cooking or sewing or financial .

Dont rely on others. .rely on yourself..dont rely on others to be there for you..help yourself.

You should never stop learning..sometimes Homepro have free weekend courses in tiling...painting etc .

Im surprised by the number of farangs I meet who had good jobs in their previous life but cannot do things themselves.

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1