Free wifi is for customers, right?

Chiengmaijoe

It's A place of business.If the place is busy your taking up A seat that A paying customer could use.I would have just said the place is for paying customers only.So if I was the bartender she wouldn't be sitting there.Just my take.it's

All about the baht.

How about if she sat on her boyfriends lap?

I would have given it to her. Unless you are paying for your wifi by the megabyte, it's of little concern; the boyfriend bought a beer and if she'd got interested in reading a load of emails, at the very least he might have ordered another beer and she might have had something as well.

I'd rather my business was known as one with the congenial owner to which you'd like to return, rather than the one run by some miserable, mean old git.

To many freeloaders around taking advantage of the business owners. As is they are having a tough time and people taking up space with out ordering any thing is rude. Then again being rude doesn't seem to matter to a lot of people they are to narcissistic to think of others.

I was in a Starbucks the other day and a fellow came in took a table and started playing with his phone. Their was not that many vacant seats there. He could just as easily used the chairs that were out side not being used.wai.gif

Then again the bar tender could have asked the guy to pay a bar fine on the girl.cheesy.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This probably has more to do with an entitled and arrogant demeanor of these aliens in the view of the waiter there.

I would have handled it differently. Bottom line they lost a customer forever. The guy may well have ordered 3 beers whilst Shiela surfed her mobile. Most restaurants now offer free WiFi because if they don’t they will lose custom. Cafes always have issues with students and others setting up camp for hours. A professional manager in the food service industry handles these things best using proper judgement on a case by case basis. Providing a friendly and inviting atmosphere, while at the same time balancing the needs of the business and other customers. They had to crack down on the kids at the Thapae Macdonalds a few years ago. Grabbing multiple tables and revising for hours buying little. Here we are however and that type of management is rare.

Bar is packed, we don’t need you. (What about tomorrow when it is not packed?)

Customers at an Italian Trattoria in BKK charging Roma prices++ are billed for breaking a 20 bht water glass.

Small “Baksheesh” demanded to urinate in a insect-infested and foul smelling bog, as if it was ever cleaned anyway. Hand washing facility nothing more than dribbling tap and a dirty rag.

A big chain like Black Canyon has the nerve to demand some extortionate charge to plug in your mobile, as if it will make or break the business.

Oh well, TIT.

The service may cost little or even next to nothing, but the occupation of seats that could otherwise be used to generate income can be very costly indeed. It can also mean that regular customers can't find a seat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/28/nyregion/the-food-may-be-fast-but-these-customers-wont-be-rushed.html

Nice article about McDonalds Lo-so Cafe culture. Their coffee is not very good, their bathrooms and WiFi are. In Chiang Mai one can always stop at a petrol station and have a slash ‘round back if the need arises. Where I was based in the States many petrol stations did not have a WC available, or require a key provided with purchase due to problems with druggies, psychos and derelict bums**. Where could I count on? McDonalds! Fast food chains are everywhere I have never been refused lavatory use as a non-customer. Not in BKK either. If McD at Night Bazaar charges to use the toilet I would use those in the lobby of LeMeridien. Wonderful facilities and they don't charge 5 Baht!

I don’t eat much at McD but the occasional McMuffin. I think it is common knowledge, in USA at least that any busy Mum driving around with kids can always pop by McD as their restrooms are clean, open, and available whether one makes a purchase or not. Now recently MacDonalds locations have WiFi. Whatever you say about the unhealthful crap they push on the global public McD attempts to promote a brand image that is “family friendly” and inclusive.

**There is a Chevron petrol station i n LA on Lincoln at Venice Blvd that has displayed a "Restroom out of Service” note written on a small piece of paper in the cashiers’ window for freaking years. Long ago once (when I still did such pointless things) I took time to write the hideously well compensated then CEO of Chevron Corporation complaining about this broken toilet and the rude and stingy management there. With the price of “gas” I thought would be nice if they could at least provide a WC for customers spending $50-75 bucks to fill their SUV’s. The response I received was that this was against their corporate policy and the situation would be rectified. The toilet remains "broken" to this day.

Edited by arunsakda

I never used to use my local McDonald's back home, but started to use the toilet occasionally when in the area. After a while I started ordering food there and became a regular customer.

Businesses spend huge amounts on advertising and promotion to get people in the door, then they do stupid things like treat customers badly. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. There is no greater advertising than treating people well, especially if you don't know them. You never know what recommendation or custom they'll give later.

• Like 1

It never ceases to amaze me how often someone in a Thai business will put their foot down about something worth pennies or even nothing, piss off a customer and lose that customer for ever.

I was going to lunch with a friend in Chiang Mai once and I was waiting for him to check out of a small hotel. It was 12.30 and the desk clerk was demanding half a days late checkout fee for 30 minutes. It was low season and the hotel was practically empty (nobody waiting for a room). It goes without saying that they lost my friend's business forever.

I would have given it to her. Unless you are paying for your wifi by the megabyte, it's of little concern; the boyfriend bought a beer and if she'd got interested in reading a load of emails, at the very least he might have ordered another beer and she might have had something as well.

I'd rather my business was known as one with the congenial owner to which you'd like to return, rather than the one run by some miserable, mean old git.

To many freeloaders around taking advantage of the business owners. As is they are having a tough time and people taking up space with out ordering any thing is rude. Then again being rude doesn't seem to matter to a lot of people they are to narcissistic to think of others.

I was in a Starbucks the other day and a fellow came in took a table and started playing with his phone. Their was not that many vacant seats there. He could just as easily used the chairs that were out side not being used.wai.gif

Then again the bar tender could have asked the guy to pay a bar fine on the girl.cheesy.gif

Does Starbucks have outside air con? biggrin.png

I have a friend who has quite a small coffee shop in CM. After a few months she had to put a 20 minute limit on the use of the wi fi as people were ordering a cup of coffee and sitting their with laptops for hours. New customers would come into the shop ,see there were no tables left and move on.

She now has a sign, to that effect, at the entrance. Costs her a few customers but really had no choice.

Cheepos are a parasite that ruins the benefits of the genuine customers.

Sure, keep them out!

• Like 1

What exactly is a Restaurant meant for? It is for food & drink, isn't it?

Imagine the plight of the owner if customers order a beer and spend hours using WiFi.

As much as the business should have a 'customer care' attitude, the customer also should have a 'fair policy' attitude and at least be a little ethical.

Basically, one should understand there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Just my humble opinion.

That's a little unrealistic, are you going to post for instance that if 75% of the restaurant is full one is only allowed to use the wifi for 15 min. and every other circumstance that might be revelent and expect it to be followed. It must be up to the discresion of the management as weekends, high season etc all factor into the decision.

You just post "each purchase entitles customer to 15 mins. wifi use".

When it's busy, you enforce, when it's quiet, you don't.

Then you get no problems.

^ Back then it was about hogging the newspapers I suppose?

Big sheets of printed paper they were. And restaurants typically had one or two around.

When reading one, you were kind of expected to order something. Though in hotel lobbies you could often get away with reading them without ordering anything.

• Like 1

^ Back then it was about hogging the newspapers I suppose?

Big sheets of printed paper they were. And restaurants typically had one or two around.

When reading one, you were kind of expected to order something. Though in hotel lobbies you could often get away with reading them without ordering anything.

"You finished with the sports section yet?"

• Like 2

In the name of customer service, since they came in as a couple, one order is enough to give them WIFI...

She will tell 10 people or more...poor customer service will eventually close this bar...

Right now I will be writing to Lonely Planet about this bar....

CB

Saddo!!:huh:

In the name of customer service, since they came in as a couple, one order is enough to give them WIFI...

She will tell 10 people or more...poor customer service will eventually close this bar...

Right now I will be writing to Lonely Planet about this bar....

CB

Do not forget to mention that a cheap ass could not even be bothered to spend 50 cents to buy water to be thankful for the free wifi, otherwise she may have to go to internet cafe and pay the whole $1 for an hour

good for the bartender, likely following orders from his farang boss. I was once in a bar/diner having beers and this lady told me and my friend to "keep it down, she was working." I told her it was a bar; not a library, and she could stick her I-pad up her fat ass. Funny thing was, it was actually a guy, not even trying to be a ladyboy, must have been the pink circus pants. Even MCD has limits on WiFi users, which is probably where they should have gone to begin with. Lots of angry barstaff on LK; it's a sign of the times...high rent, new, ever changing rules, labor costs, food costs.....very tough business.

sounds it would be best for you to not mix with human beings until your med is adjusted to temper your aggression

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This probably has more to do with an entitled and arrogant demeanor of these aliens in the view of the waiter there.

I would have handled it differently. Bottom line they lost a customer forever. The guy may well have ordered 3 beers whilst Shiela surfed her mobile. Most restaurants now offer free WiFi because if they don’t they will lose custom. Cafes always have issues with students and others setting up camp for hours. A professional manager in the food service industry handles these things best using proper judgement on a case by case basis. Providing a friendly and inviting atmosphere, while at the same time balancing the needs of the business and other customers. They had to crack down on the kids at the Thapae Macdonalds a few years ago. Grabbing multiple tables and revising for hours buying little. Here we are however and that type of management is rare.

Bar is packed, we don’t need you. (What about tomorrow when it is not packed?)

Customers at an Italian Trattoria in BKK charging Roma prices++ are billed for breaking a 20 bht water glass.

Small “Baksheesh” demanded to urinate in a insect-infested and foul smelling bog, as if it was ever cleaned anyway. Hand washing facility nothing more than dribbling tap and a dirty rag.

A big chain like Black Canyon has the nerve to demand some extortionate charge to plug in your mobile, as if it will make or break the business.

Oh well, TIT.

The service may cost little or even next to nothing, but the occupation of seats that could otherwise be used to generate income can be very costly indeed. It can also mean that regular customers can't find a seat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/28/nyregion/the-food-may-be-fast-but-these-customers-wont-be-rushed.html

Nice article about McDonalds Lo-so Cafe culture. Their coffee is not very good, their bathrooms and WiFi are. In Chiang Mai one can always stop at a petrol station and have a slash ‘round back if the need arises. Where I was based in the States many petrol stations did not have a WC available, or require a key provided with purchase due to problems with druggies, psychos and derelict bums**. Where could I count on? McDonalds! Fast food chains are everywhere I have never been refused lavatory use as a non-customer. Not in BKK either. If McD at Night Bazaar charges to use the toilet I would use those in the lobby of LeMeridien. Wonderful facilities and they don't charge 5 Baht!

I don’t eat much at McD but the occasional McMuffin. I think it is common knowledge, in USA at least that any busy Mum driving around with kids can always pop by McD as their restrooms are clean, open, and available whether one makes a purchase or not. Now recently MacDonalds locations have WiFi. Whatever you say about the unhealthful crap they push on the global public McD attempts to promote a brand image that is “family friendly” and inclusive.

**There is a Chevron petrol station i n LA on Lincoln at Venice Blvd that has displayed a "Restroom out of Service” note written on a small piece of paper in the cashiers’ window for freaking years. Long ago once (when I still did such pointless things) I took time to write the hideously well compensated then CEO of Chevron Corporation complaining about this broken toilet and the rude and stingy management there. With the price of “gas” I thought would be nice if they could at least provide a WC for customers spending $50-75 bucks to fill their SUV’s. The response I received was that this was against their corporate policy and the situation would be rectified. The toilet remains "broken" to this day.

Could have popped into my house at Lincoln and Navy and use my john anytime :)

• Like 1

It never ceases to amaze me how often someone in a Thai business will put their foot down about something worth pennies or even nothing, piss off a customer and lose that customer for ever.

I was going to lunch with a friend in Chiang Mai once and I was waiting for him to check out of a small hotel. It was 12.30 and the desk clerk was demanding half a days late checkout fee for 30 minutes. It was low season and the hotel was practically empty (nobody waiting for a room). It goes without saying that they lost my friend's business forever.

Obviously I don't know the particulars of this situation but often employees are in robot mode, just following the rules to the T as not only has management not empowered them but probably quite the opposite by putting fear into them to follow their exact instructions.

Considering the way business is often conducted here there's sense trying to talk sense with someone who's not interested listening or making any :)

Do Internet cafes still exist, actually?

Especially downtown?

i haven't seen one in a while and there used to be loads in the old city. ipads/tablets and smartphones + cheap 3g and/or the free wifi seem to have done for them.

He was wrong, because she could have ordered the beer instead of her boyfriend, then give the beer to him.

In that case she had ordered something, and the boyfriend who hadn't ordered something himself, didn't use the wifi.

clap2.gif

Obviously I don't know the particulars of this situation but often employees are in robot mode, just following the rules to the T as not only has management not empowered them but probably quite the opposite by putting fear into them to follow their exact instructions.

Considering the way business is often conducted here there's no sense trying to talk sense with someone who's not interested listening or making any smile.png

Just my opinion....... as a people , they feel , rightly or wrongly, held down, repressed, oppressed, and unable to advance, most of the time due to their own inabilities, that they just look for any simple reason to exercise power over someone else. The other should be in a position that the oppressor feels to perceive hey are higher up the food chain than themselves. To me this is the reason so many of the young want to be police. Why even the trash pick up man , if you don't leave/give him a little extra something , accidently will have trash strewn by your disposal point. Why so many drivers do not heed the siren of a emergency vehicle and on and on. It has been this way for generations and will take a very long time to rid the problem. By viewing the surrounding countries, maybe this is one of the downsides to the shouting point, "we have never been colonized"

Again just my opinion