Free wifi is for customers, right?

Chiengmaijoe

A young couple came into the bar I was in last night and the first words from the girl were "what's the password for the wifi?". The guy ordered a drink, but the girl, who was busy signing in, said she was "okay, thanks", meaning she didn't want to order anything. When the waiter pointed out that if she didn't order anything the wifi wasn't free, her reply was that since her boyfriend had ordered a small beer, 'they' had ordered something. The waiter repeated that she must order something if she wants to use the wifi for free, so they got up and left!

Since the bar was packed, I don't think they were too bothered, and of course she wouldn't have been adding much to the ambience, but the question still remains, was the waiter right or wrong, was she just a freeloader?

good for the bartender, likely following orders from his farang boss. I was once in a bar/diner having beers and this lady told me and my friend to "keep it down, she was working." I told her it was a bar; not a library, and she could stick her I-pad up her fat ass. Funny thing was, it was actually a guy, not even trying to be a ladyboy, must have been the pink circus pants. Even MCD has limits on WiFi users, which is probably where they should have gone to begin with. Lots of angry barstaff on LK; it's a sign of the times...high rent, new, ever changing rules, labor costs, food costs.....very tough business.

He was wrong, because she could have ordered the beer instead of her boyfriend, then give the beer to him.

In that case she had ordered something, and the boyfriend who hadn't ordered something himself, didn't use the wifi.

Good try. She would have ordered it for him, but she still wouldn't have ordered anything for herself. She'd still be sat there with nothing in front of her, using the free wifi. Most people in her situation would have thought 'fair enough' and ordered at least a coffee or a coke or something if she didn't want a beer. What exactly is wrong with ordering something if you're in a bar, taking up space and using the facilities? Common courtesy.

So you start a thread with a question, but it is clear now that you made up your mind before starting the thread.

Doesn't that qualify for trolling?

No. Is asking other people's opinion Trolling now?

Actually, my view is that if the place is busy, fair enough, if it's during a quiet spell in the afternoon, no problem. The courtesy of ordering a drink would be better though. She could also have been prepared to pay for the wifi.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I would have been more concerned with two seats taken for 1 small beer.

Nobody wants customers like this, the wifi was an excuse to get rid of the non paying guest.

I go into a place and use their seating, I buy something.

How hard is that to understand.

And what if they both had ordered a 20 Baht water instead a single 80 Baht (?) small beer ?

• Like 1

Nobody wants customers like this, the wifi was an excuse to get rid of the non paying guest.

And what if they both had ordered a 20 Baht water instead a single 80 Baht (?) small beer ?

Mark up on 2 waters is more (doubt you can buy water in a foreigner bar for 20bht).

(Especially if they filled the bottles up with tap water round the back)

Bars I visit are 3 large Chang for 149bht inc ice and wifi (159bht for 3 large Leo).

Drink one bottle between you while using wifi, take 2 bottles home, everyone happy.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

there are many internet cafes that are charging 10 thb per hour, most are a lot faster than bar wifi, and a lot of them sell beers. sodas at 7-11 prices, and you can even bring in your own in many cases, so I just don't get the coffee shop free loaders.,,,it's really doing things the hard way. 30-40 thb for a cup of coffee on a hot day? No Thanks.

I'll bet they would have told them to take a hike at John's Place....the sign says "Look free, five minutes." Not, use wi-fi for free. And don't forget, it appears this was Saturday night, too....limited seats in bars. Many bars don't even let non-customers use the restroom.....they've been charging 5 thb at MCD night Bassar for years.

• Like 1

I'll bet they would have told them to take a hike at John's Place....the sign says "Look free, five minutes." Not, use wi-fi for free. And don't forget, it appears this was Saturday night, too....limited seats in bars. Many bars don't even let non-customers use the restroom.....they've been charging 5 thb at MCD night Bassar for years.

With an attitude like that I doubt if they'll still be in business in another 20 years time.

Would be just as much profit from 2 waters as from 1 beer.

Bar is for drinking, internet cafe is for web surfing.

Just like people who go to Star Bucks and spend hours surfing the web after purchasing 1 coffee, Starbucks introduced limits, no reason why bar should not have limits

• Like 2