Consciousness or the lack of it

n210mp

"Minimalists" on the TV thread, I am sure are not happy being miserable!

You misjudge minimalists,they are not miserable or mean,what makes them happy and contented is clearing all the clutter and useless possessions from their lives. Which as they do not have to spend time servicing the unwanted,is an added bonus!

Simply put: one person,finds being surrounded by useless objects, enjoyable,while the other person finds it repulsive! True Buddhists are natural Minimalists!

I need to preface that I, as most, live in a conditioned state.

I see the term "minimalist" as simply a label.

You can label many in such ways.

For example: A medical professional understands the need to provide a disinfected environment.

We could label him a "hygienist".

Is this due to an attachment to cleanliness, or is he interested in the survival of his patient.

If one says: Oh, he is a minimalist, doesn't this short change such a persons true aims?

Rocky,

It's not just a label. It's a word with specific meanings like any other word. We have minimalist art, minimalist music and minimalist lifestyles.

I would describe the lifestyle of a Buddhist monk as extremely minimalist. I think there's quite a lot of evidence based on scientific (psychological) research that suggests that people who give greater priority to 'experiences' (of whatever type) than accumulation of material possessions, are generally happier.

I'm sure Notmyself (when he's himself) would agree with that. wink.png

• Like 1

"Minimalists" on the TV thread, I am sure are not happy being miserable!

You misjudge minimalists,they are not miserable or mean,what makes them happy and contented is clearing all the clutter and useless possessions from their lives. Which as they do not have to spend time servicing the unwanted,is an added bonus!

Simply put: one person,finds being surrounded by useless objects, enjoyable,while the other person finds it repulsive! True Buddhists are natural Minimalists!

I need to preface that I, as most, live in a conditioned state.

I see the term "minimalist" as simply a label.

You can label many in such ways.

For example: A medical professional understands the need to provide a disinfected environment.

We could label him a "hygienist".

Is this due to an attachment to cleanliness, or is he interested in the survival of his patient.

If one says: Oh, he is a minimalist, doesn't this short change such a persons true aims?

Rocky,

It's not just a label. It's a word with specific meanings like any other word. We have minimalist art, minimalist music and minimalist lifestyles.

I would describe the lifestyle of a Buddhist monk as extremely minimalist. I think there's quite a lot of evidence based on scientific (psychological) research that suggests that people who give greater priority to 'experiences' (of whatever type) than accumulation of material possessions, are generally happier.

I'm sure Notmyself (when he's himself) would agree with that. wink.png

I have to agree with you Vincent,it's not just a label it's the true meaning and life style behind the label!