Thai editorial: Blinded by patriotic faith?

webfact

Has it occurred to anyone that the reaction from the General and his military entourage was one of genuine surprise and hurt?

This is a man who has met with various American military commanders and believed they were his "friend", or at least shared common views. Why else would he have such a reaction over U.S. remarks that were far less harsh than those that have been made by the EU and continue to be espoused by EU foreign ministers? I believe that the General felt hurt, even betrayed, by people he thought would back him.

He and the U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of staff, General Dempsey, got along quite well during the latter's 2012 meeting. They continued to communicate. And this is where he may have misunderstood the Americans. Perhaps he was unable to differentiate between the U.S. military personnel personal views and their sworn duty to obey their civilian commanders, and that they do not make foreign policy. It is a relationship that most Thais probably are unable to comprehend. General Dempsey did his thesis on the Irish literary revival of the late 18th century, while General Chan-o-cha has made no secret of his belief in fortune tellers, with a major Bangkok newspaper just recently quoting the General as stating that there was no harm in seeking their advice. The General went on to state that when he was suffering from a fever and aches early in his premiership, he blamed his malady on hexes cast by his political enemies and combated the illness with holy water. ( As reported by Cod Satrusayang 15-Jan-2015). The General has not had much experience outside of Thailand and is not a gifted diplomat. While career senior officers in major militaries are usually well educated and seasoned from their postings around the world, that is not the case with Thailand's military leaders. Even, the Russians have some very gifted academic scholars within their senior command and are quite different than the thugs we see in Thailand. Honestly, I believe the issue of nationalism is side issue. The core issue may be that the General has been wounded and I dare say, feels insulted. Whether he puts his emotions in check remains to be seen

The stance from the diplomatic corps is and has been pretty clear.

Best friend often point out inconvenient truths to one another.

Very true I agree. However I do not believe Thailand or Thai people are basically mature enough to hear/internalize anything that even remotely resembles Truth.

• Like 1

I will come and shovel your driveway; and when I slip on the ice and break a bone I will then sue you for everything you have.

Quite entrepreneurial, don't you think?

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me Eliot.

Tort laws (class action suits) and ambulance chaser lawyers are the most rampant in the USA.

USA Federal Regulatory Agencies pass new "regulations" every day that our congress has no say over. They create around 250 - 300 new laws every day in the "Land of the Free".

============

I was once in my Dad's back yard in Florida shooting clay pigeons when a couple deputies showed up.

They were looking for a felonious nephew that wasn't there.

I'd been shooting guns all my life back where I was shooting guns & one of them said "They just passed a law saying blah, blah, blah" about shooting guns back there. Nobody told me.

We had a single shot 12 guage, a single shot 20 guage, and two .38 pistols. Five miles of State forest in the background, plus we were on a hill & any shots would have been 30 + feet in the air above anyone standing more than 100 feet in front of us = all lead went into pine trees that you couldn't kill if you tried - HARMLESS RECREATION.

I was there with family...Thai wife was there (be careful - I taught her how to aim & she hits what she's shooting at).

The young cop wanted to give use a ticket as it would make him look good to know all about a new law.

The older sheriff told him to leave us alone as there were 4 armed people there & he might piss us off to no avail. My sister-in-law overheard this conversation.

Sadly, in today's world, they'd cite us for spitting on the ground in our own back yard, just to get that money from the ticket they'd be able to write.

It's almost a carbon copy of the BIB in Thailand.

If you want to know the future of Thailand, that is easy. One need go no farther

than to study what Phibun did while in power. And yes, whipping up nationalism

was a major part of that. Oh, and there were 12 principles to abide by as well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Thailand_%281932%E2%80%9373%29

"Modernisation was also an important theme in Phibun's new Thai nationalism. From 1939 to 1942 he issued a set of twelve Cultural Mandates. In addition to requiring that all Thais salute the flag, know the National Anthem, and speak the national language, the mandates also encouraged Thais to work hard, stay informed on current events, and to dress in a western fashion. By 1941 it became illegal, among other things, to ridicule those who attempted to promote national customs. The programme also encompassed fine arts. Fiercely nationalistic plays and films were sponsored by the government. Often these depicted a glorious past when Thai warriors fearlessly gained freedom for the country, defended their honour, or sacrificed themselves. Patriotism was taught in schools and was a recurrent theme in songs and dances."

So what is happening currently appears to be a well trod path......cheesy.gif

"At the same time he passed a number of authoritarian laws which gave the government the power of almost unlimited arrest and complete press censorship."

Oh no, this cannot be a good thing to copy......

"Phibun and Luang Wichitwathakan, the government's ideological spokesman, copied the propaganda techniques used by Hitler and Mussolini to build up the cult of the leader. Aware of the power of mass media, they used the government's monopoly on radio broadcasting to shape popular support for the regime. "

So what is happening currently appears to be a well trod path.....

agree completely. The military has never been known to show much imagination in their political endeavours...

I think the other question to ask is; what Thai's are blinded? In my totally non scientific poll I would proffer the suggestion that the average 'Thai on the street' has absolutely no malice or complaint about comments or indeed criticism by the US or anyone else.

The outrage, and I have to say the at times outright xenophobia, seems to be fairly well confined to a relatively small elitist upper echelon Thai ( and I use the word Thai in an ethnic context) segment of the population, who unfortunately also have the loudest and most access to the media.

• Like 1

"And he suggested that the impeachment of former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra was driven by political motives among the junta-installed National Legislative Assembly."

He obviously didnt look at the available information or the evidence or he would have realized she was guilty as charged. Criticism of some things can be accepted but when the truth is there for all to see that she did not do her duties as pm and the head of the rice scheme we have to wonder why he would make such a stupid comment, showed he was not anywhere near up to date on what has been happening here and has relied on what she claimed entirely. He stuck his foot firmly in his mouth and made the US look very foolish.

Regardless of guilt, the fact that most of the jurors were chosen by the junta casts doubt on due process. Whether she actually got a fair trial is questionable. And in this most rarest of occasions, the US in not looking foolish. It is the other way around.

Why do I suspect that when she is given a fair trial, convicted and sentenced, you will still be offering lame defense for what was clearly a criminal enterprise?

"And he suggested that the impeachment of former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra was driven by political motives among the junta-installed National Legislative Assembly."

He obviously didnt look at the available information or the evidence or he would have realized she was guilty as charged. Criticism of some things can be accepted but when the truth is there for all to see that she did not do her duties as pm and the head of the rice scheme we have to wonder why he would make such a stupid comment, showed he was not anywhere near up to date on what has been happening here and has relied on what she claimed entirely. He stuck his foot firmly in his mouth and made the US look very foolish.

Regardless of guilt, the fact that most of the jurors were chosen by the junta casts doubt on due process. Whether she actually got a fair trial is questionable. And in this most rarest of occasions, the US in not looking foolish. It is the other way around.

Why do I suspect that when she is given a fair trial, convicted and sentenced, you will still be offering lame defense for what was clearly a criminal enterprise?

you just can't help fools... go have another Chang

I would tend to agree with you if it were actually a "fair trial". But how can you get a fair trial from a military tribunal who has one goal in mind - destroy anything Shinawatra - with the verdict in their heads before her "trial" even began.

'Patriotism, the last refuge for scoundrels.' I thought the Bangkok elite were a bunch of rather simple rich folk who just went shopping.

and parked their cars in disabled parking spots

and shot dentists; and ran over policemen with Ferrari's (shame not the same one) and let their kids drive others off the road, and, and, and got away with murder.

• Like 1

Very true I agree. However I do not believe Thailand or Thai people are basically mature enough to hear/internalize anything that even remotely resembles Truth.

What's scary is neither is the voting public in what is "Supposedly" the most advanced country that was ever built..

You know, the one that bombs the shit out of people & such.

Americans are mostly like this..

Has it occurred to anyone that the reaction from the General and his military entourage was one of genuine surprise and hurt?

Reminds me of working with Thais.

They were nice guys that would jump in front of a bullet for me (the Great White Bwana), but would pout like a 3 year old when I'd point out that they were doing something wrong.

• Like 1

Reminds me of working with Thais.

They were nice guys that would jump in front of a bullet for me (the Great White Bwana), but would pout like a 3 year old when I'd point out that they were doing something wrong.

just remember they are all 12 year olds and you'll get along fine - i TRY to remind myself of that daily

Thai people are sick of the MASSIVE rip off done by the Thaksins and understand that their political machine must have its plug pulled forever and are willing to wait to see that done........... also realize this is very likely the only way to get that job done.

All you arm-chair democratic freedom fighters are a joke to think this this goal can not be first and must be accomplished.

The largest threat to democracy in Thailand for decades has been/is the Terrorist Thaksins.wai.gif

• Like 1

Thai people are sick of the MASSIVE rip off done by the Thaksins and understand that their political machine must have its plug pulled forever and are willing to wait to see that done........... also realize this is very likely the only way to get that job done.

All you arm-chair democratic freedom fighters are a joke to think this this goal can not be first and must be accomplished.

The largest threat to democracy in Thailand for decades has been/is the Terrorist Thaksins.wai.gif

Such a naive and childish understanding of things but whatever.

If the people were truly sick of the Shinawatras (why did you make Thaksin a plural?) then an election in July 2014 would have been an excellent opportunity to get rid of them democratically. Too bad it wasn't tried.

The greatest threat to democracy in Thailand for decades has been a minority supported by the military that will topple any government that displeases them.

• Like 1