US asks for $8.8 billion to fund fight against IS

webfact

US asks for $8.8 billion to fund fight against IS

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US President Barack Obama has requested $8.8 billion to fund the fight against the Islamic State group in his 2016 budget unveiled Monday.

A total of $5.3 billion would go to the Pentagon to finance Operation Inherent Resolve, which was launched in August with a series of airstrikes against militants in Iraq and Syria.

Last week, defence officials told AFP that US and coalition aircraft had carried out 705 bombing raids around the Syrian town of Kobane since September 23 after it was captured by jihadists.

The State Department, which has been leading efforts to build a multinational coalition against the IS group, has requested a further $3.5 billion.

The money would "strengthen regional partners... provide humanitarian assistance and strengthen Syria’s moderate opposition," Deputy Secretary of State for Management Heather Higginbottom said.

The funds would also boost "collaboration with coalition partners to degrade and ultimately destroy ISIL," she added, using another acronym for the group.

"ISIL poses an immediate threat to Iraq, Syria, and American allies and partners throughout the region as it seeks to overthrow governments, control territory, terrorize local populations, and attack the United States and coalition partners throughout the world," Obama’s budget request says.

"The on-going conflict in Syria also continues to threaten regional stability and has displaced over 10 million people," it adds.

"The budget provides funding for military operations, diplomacy, governance, and humanitarian and security assistance programs to address these challenges."

Higginbottom said a further $1.1 billion had been requested by the State Department to fund diplomatic efforts in Iraq, where IS is holding a large swath of territory.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/US-asks-for-$8-8-billion-to-fund-fight-against-IS-30253266.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-03

Obama is gutting the military back to pre WWII numbers, and now he wants more money to fight the ISIL? He's armed about half of them trying to put down Syria's leaders. He's a total loss as a military leader and should step down. Of course if he did, then we would have Joe Biden as President, and that may be even worse. I see no way out of this mess except to keep up wiping them out where they stand. And from what I hear, Iran is the biggest supporter of the ISIL and Obama is kissing their collective butts. Our Military leaders must have ulcers like you can't believe. blink.png

Edited by khaowong1

Why don't the super rich arab states put there hands in their pockets? Why should the US, who they all hate, pay to eradicate muslim militia?

All that will happen is more Muslims will blame America for interfering, let them solve their own problems.

Your right biggles45.. And I believe that Saudi Arabia is now doing that, slowly. The Royal family in S.A. is afraid if the ISIS gets a foothold in Saudi, they will topple the Royal's. Their worried. coffee1.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

8.8 billion dollars.

When I was a kid a millionaire was beyond belief.

Can anyone tell me how much WW2 cost the USA????

About $4 trillion in 2014 dollars. In comparison Apple is worth about $700 billion.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Obama is gutting the military back to pre WWII numbers, and now he wants more money to fight the ISIL? He's armed about half of them trying to put down Syria's leaders. He's a total loss as a military leader and should step down. Of course if he did, then we would have Joe Biden as President, and that may be even worse. I see no way out of this mess except to keep up wiping them out where they stand. And from what I hear, Iran is the biggest supporter of the ISIL and Obama is kissing their collective butts. Our Military leaders must have ulcers like you can't believe. blink.png width=20 alt=blink.png>

Your hearing may be impaired. Iran has been conducting air attacks against ISIL and advising Iraqi on ground assults. Then there was the recent failed ISIL suicide attack against a commander in Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps inside Iraq. Iran wants to control Iraq and has no interest in a renegade extremist Islamic "state."

As far as US support for Syrian rebels, Obama has been criticized heavily by the Republicans (Senator McCain) as being too hesitant in arming the rebels. Half of the "rebels" are extremist Islamists who should not be getting US military support under any circumstance. Obama wouldn't even set up a no fly zone in Syria to protect rebels or the Syrian civilian population as the US did in Libya.

IS need to be exterminated whatever the cost.

Agreed but I would like to see All Muslim nations take the front line on this war against the people that are hijacking their religion. Pains me to see the US and other western countries come in to fight these wars to try and save the people that will turn around and hate us.

And I agree with what you say too.

Obama is gutting the military back to pre WWII numbers, and now he wants more money to fight the ISIL? He's armed about half of them trying to put down Syria's leaders. He's a total loss as a military leader and should step down. Of course if he did, then we would have Joe Biden as President, and that may be even worse. I see no way out of this mess except to keep up wiping them out where they stand. And from what I hear, Iran is the biggest supporter of the ISIL and Obama is kissing their collective butts. Our Military leaders must have ulcers like you can't believe. blink.png width=20 alt=blink.png>

Your hearing may be impaired. Iran has been conducting air attacks against ISIL and advising Iraqi on ground assults. Then there was the recent failed ISIL suicide attack against a commander in Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps inside Iraq. Iran wants to control Iraq and has no interest in a renegade extremist Islamic "state."

As far as US support for Syrian rebels, Obama has been criticized heavily by the Republicans (Senator McCain) as being too hesitant in arming the rebels. Half of the "rebels" are extremist Islamists who should not be getting US military support under any circumstance. Obama wouldn't even set up a no fly zone in Syria to protect rebels or the Syrian civilian population as the US did in Libya.

Obama wouldn't even set up a no fly zone in Syria to protect rebels or the Syrian civilian population as the US did in Libya.

That would be because of Russia, who warned Obama off!

Just imagine what $8.8 Bn would do if it was invested into healthcare for those who cant afford it. Instead we (AUS/UK/US) must participate in these pointless wars, wasting money that should be used to help our own countries, stirring up more angst and shoving our noses in other peoples business. Let them sort out their own problems, you cannot force western style democracy onto those states. Similarly in Thailand, if the Thai's want to do nothing about living under repression, let them have it, its not our business and more importantly we cannot change it, only the people can change it if they have the guts and determination.

• Like 2

Much of their funding is self-generated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-funded and deep-rooted: How ISIS makes its millions

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/06/world/meast/isis-funding/

Not a rag time army as such, some one has to be in control of all the money from their enterprises: sales of oil, robbery, taxation. Cut off the head.. And where are they buying all their war equipment? If the equipment is just what they've stolen from the Syrians and Iraqi's, they have to be running out soon. coffee1.gif

Just imagine what $8.8 Bn would do if it was invested into healthcare for those who cant afford it. Instead we (AUS/UK/US) must participate in these pointless wars, wasting money that should be used to help our own countries, stirring up more angst and shoving our noses in other peoples business. Let them sort out their own problems, you cannot force western style democracy onto those states. Similarly in Thailand, if the Thai's want to do nothing about living under repression, let them have it, its not our business and more importantly we cannot change it, only the people can change it if they have the guts and determination.

8.8 billion is about 24 dollars per American. Small price to pay if it got rid of isis and other similar groups.

But putting US boots on the ground I don't agree with.

Put a rocket up their ass every time one of those isis members is spotted anywhere. Also, any supporter should be given a one way ticket to Jordan in handcuffs and let the Jordan people decide their fate.

I also think a bounty on the heads of all members would generate some interest...$5,000 dead or dead.

• Like 1

My brother sent me a video of drone action in Afghanistan, jesus, we need more of these chasing down this ISIS lot. The video was at night time and you could make out the Taliban like it was noon. No where to hide. Took down those a holes like a video game. w00t.gif

Excuse me! 8.8 billion to fund war against some new Mickey Mouse club that didn't exist/or was talked about until recently? And of course we don't negotiate with terrorists and sticking to that logic. I bet that logic would go out the window if Obama or one of his little girls were taken...

I think it would be cheaper to buy IS and hope they have some integrity to keep their word. Just give them money and tell them to leave the world alone.

Now, this so called funding, perhaps we should fund, homelessness, poverty, starving people, public resources in the USA.. how bout dem apples?

• Like 1

Another invented war to make few people to make trillions ........because billions are not enough, and...... to go to WW3 in 2018, the US needs some more "training" to justify it....

Edited by umbanda