Thai National Parks ordered to charge foreigners tenfold

webfact

"Ferangs are different, they eat bread"..Prayut

Please tell me you're joking.

"Foreigners don't have the same laws that we do, said Gen. Prayuth. So why don't we make our country peaceful and safe? Our country is not like their countries. Thai people are not like farangs. We eat rice. They eat bread. Its totally different."

different indeed.

Do yuo have a reference for this - I'm building up a collection of quotes from the Leader and his acolytes.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a ferry to an island off the coast of Mumbai. At the dock you had a choice of paying for a litter/sedan chair to be carried up hundreds of steps to a museum at the top of the hill. I walked. The admission price was 10X more for foreigners than for locals. I walked back down without entering/paying.

Was the view any good?

Additionally, Suwan predicted the increase would not affect the number of tourists who visit the park as fewer than 100 foreigners visited the park last year.

So for a potential gain of 20,000 baht per year they are willing to have adverse publicity going viral with the headline

Thai National Parks ordered to charge foreigners tenfold

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The increase there and at other parks was made in response to an announcement from the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department that admission fees for foreigners should be made consistent throughout the country as of Sunday.. should read as.. admission fees for people should be made consistent throughout the country. Seriously is there any other country in the world where foreigners are required to pay more to visit an attraction than residents ??

Yes Vietnam does the same.

I will not visit any place that charges me more than anyone else. If anything I would expect a senior discount below the local price. Anything over that I will not pay.

I have started withholding giving tip in all but the most extreme situations. Trying to fit in with the culture.wai2.gif

Whatcom County (pop. 300,000?) Parks USA just south of the Canadian border (Vancouver BC metro area pop. about 2 million) charges an entrance fee to all Canadian licensed cars. The rationale is that the Canadians don't pay the taxes that support the parks but over 80% of parks users are Canadians. I don't have a problem with tourists who don't pay taxes being charged a reasonable entrance fee. However as a 12 year resident who pays taxes I resent being charged an exorbitant fee even when showing a Thai DL. Especially since few Thais pay taxes or entrance fees. As a consequence I haven't visited a Thai National Park for over 10 years. National Parks in the USA charge an entrance fee to everyone. 12 years ago the fee for Mt Rainier National Park was $10 day fee and $14 for a 12 month pass. A 100 baht fee for all Thais and foreign residents and a 200 baht fee for all adult (children under twelve free) tourists would be fair and raise a lot of money for parks. If you could keep the politicians fingers out of the pot.

If they want consistency they need to make it 10 times for ALL costs including hotels and food. See how that goes just proves its another knee jerk reaction from a far right wing nationalist country with no values and no leader.

I wonder if the Grand Palace is considered a National park? If it is, at it's current admission price of 400 THB for falangs, a 4,000 THB entrance price would surely drastically lower the number of foreign visitors to the attraction. Also, since Thai citizens are allowed in free it would effectively cut the income down to ZERO.

Having seen it three times I doubt I'll be back at any price until the closed to the public areas are opened for viewing.

Seen it once 10 years,nothing special. Just love for foreign punters to stop going. Let them find other extortion ways to get money!

They are doing the same thing in Indonesia. I, on purpose asked the price in Pangandaran NP (Knowing already it was 10 times) and then just said "Too expensive" and walked away with their jaw dropping at the loss of revenue. I'm giving up on Asia for a while too many things to piss me off. Back to Blightly for some real ales I think.

It doesn't make sense how this "makes admission fees for foreigners consistent across the country." It just means that there are now a few more parks that charge 400 baht as opposed to 200 or 100 like all the others. Wouldn't making them consistent mean making them all roughly the same? Strange. Anyway I don't find it to be a big deal. Khao Yai has been 400 for a while and frankly I've been surprised that other major parks, like Khao Sok and Kaeng Krachan, were not changed to 400 a while ago. If they start upping the prices on the really small/insignicant parks by 100%, that would actually be something to moan about. Also if we don't see major improvements at these now pricier parks, like the outstanding visitor center that Khao Yai now has and English-speaking officials / quality maps in English, etc., then it will be worth lodging a complaint with the TAT. If they raise the price, they should raise the standards.

Yes!!! tick off another significant economic policy conjured up by a bunch of far right wing cronies and grovelling worms. Well done Thailand!! I am packing my walking boots now with money ready to hand over to Somchai at the entrance. Hope the lads have a good piss up with the extra baht courtesy of farang who has an endless supply of money and patience.

I assume locals here wouldn't mind being charged ten times everyone else to go to visit Yosemite and Yellowstone National Parks, Glacier National Park, Grand Canyon National Park, etc? Well, no need to stop there, just charge them double to go up to the top of the Empire State Building, visit the Statue of Liberty, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and similar sites around the world.

Edited by Paul9989

It is not discounted if it is what the majority pay.

There is no logic in your argument.

A lot more logic than your argument.

Sorry, but my logic is the one shared by the tourist authorities in countries which have dual pricing whereas yours is just based on a poor understanding of the given lexis.

And that logic then is also discriminatory and just another way to cover up racism as the Thais often do in writing Thai prices in the little used Thai numerals. They know it is wrong but do it anyway.

A discount is a deduction from the usual cost of something. If the usual cost of entering a park is 400 baht and the majority Thai visitors receive a 90% discount then take away the foreigners and they should go bankrupt. Which they wouldn't because the 40 baht is the usual cost.

And note the topic heading. "Thai National Parks ordered to charge foreigners tenfold" not "Thai National Parks ordered to give Thais 90% discount".

It happened to me last year in Koh Lanta and I decided to u-turn. I tried to dissuade few european tourist to do the same but they did not really understand why I was refusing to enter the park. That means western tourist are still going to accept that unacceptable rule. And for those who have a "real" resident visa, it might be possible to pay the thai price, but for most of us, with retirement visa, we will continue to have to pay the foreign price if we want to visit monuments and parks all over the country.

Just to say that in my country, tourists are provided with special cards that allow them to pay less than local people. I think we should apply a sort of reciprocity for those countries that are making indecent profits with foreign tourists.

No, do you?

Who?

Duh....And just who do you think I was quoting and therefore asking.

Obviously I understood you were asking me, what I do not understand is who you think I might be taking out on power trips. So again, who? Duh.

Well if you understood why didn't you answer the simple question. An answer that could only be yes or no as I never mentioned anything about who you might be taking on such a trip only asking if you made such trips which you had asked of me. Duh......

Edited by Keesters

I assume locals here wouldn't mind being charged ten times everyone else to go to visit Yosemite and Yellowstone National Parks, Glacier National Park, Grand Canyon National Park, etc? Well, no need to stop there, just charge them double to go up to the top of the Empire State Building, visit the Statue of Liberty, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and similar sites around the world.

And while we're at it make it illegal for them to own land or the majority share in a company. Both of which should be Thai laws forbidding their citizens from doing overseas the same things that they forbid us in this country.

"Foreigners don't have the same laws that we do, said Gen. Prayuth. So why don't we make our country peaceful and safe? Our country is not like their countries. Thai people are not like farangs. We eat rice. They eat bread. Its totally different."

different indeed.

Do yuo have a reference for this - I'm building up a collection of quotes from the Leader and his acolytes.

sure:

http://tech.thaivisa.com/internet-freedom-in-thailand-threatened/3190/

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1421933483&typecate=06&section=

greed, arrogance, selfishness and stupidity ….. equal amounts of these mixed up, with a dash of racism and nationalism for flavouring , will make up the typical thai person…… i won't say individual because they are a lot like sheep following the herd…..how can this country expect to compete in the eyes of the first world with its economy and technology, when its still being run with a primitive 3rd world mind set…. as someone stated earlier don't think its gonna change in my lifetime….and not forgetting it can only change if people want to change….an arrogant person doesn't see he's doing anything wrong, and believes he's the only one doing right :(

Fairly and consistently pay 10 times more than a Thai? Now that is a contradiction if I ever saw one. How is paying 10 times more fair? Do these people really have a brain or are just plain stupid. I never pay more than my Thai partner, I simply refuse to. Everytime, we go somewhere I show my Thai drivers licence, tell them that I live here and I automatically get the Thai price.

An example of this is when I went to gym the other day. Monthly membership is 2400 for foreigner, 2000 for a local foreigner and 1500 for a Thai. Before I left my Thai partner called to enquire about memberships for her so when I went I knew how much to pay if I was Thai. No arguments or problems, I simply told them that I live here and asked that the local price is 1500 right? Yes sir, that is correct. My friend went one day before and got charged the local foreign price of 2000. Point is, if everyone refused to pay different from Thai they would have no choice but to accept it.

Edited by Phuketboy

Obviously I understood you were asking me, what I do not understand is who you think I might be taking out on power trips. So again, who? Duh.

Well if you understood why didn't you answer the simple question. An answer that could only be yes or no as I never mentioned anything about who you might be taking on such a trip only asking if you made such trips which you had asked of me. Duh......

I am not sure why you can't grasp this but it is getting really embarrassing for you and I am going to leave it there. Sorry mate but I don't think you're capable of conversing at an adult level, so bye.

Sorry, but my logic is the one shared by the tourist authorities in countries which have dual pricing whereas yours is just based on a poor understanding of the given lexis.

And that logic then is also discriminatory and just another way to cover up racism as the Thais often do in writing Thai prices in the little used Thai numerals. They know it is wrong but do it anyway.

A discount is a deduction from the usual cost of something. If the usual cost of entering a park is 400 baht and the majority Thai visitors receive a 90% discount then take away the foreigners and they should go bankrupt. Which they wouldn't because the 40 baht is the usual cost.

And note the topic heading. "Thai National Parks ordered to charge foreigners tenfold" not "Thai National Parks ordered to give Thais 90% discount".

You are making ridiculous assumptions about this situation. You presume that because Thais pay 40 baht that this is what is takes to run the park, in reality there is not limit to how much could be spent and every baht helps. The National Parks are funded by the government, they will not go "bankrupt" they are national parks not businesses.

You go by a newspaper headline if you want, I am going by official statements by the tourist authority, everywhere dual pricing happens they give the same reasoning, it is not to penalize foreigners but to provide incentive to locals.

different indeed.

He has been sniffing the glue that holds this country together too deeply