To laugh..or to cry?..at the Honda Dealer.

umbanda

Learn some basic Thai if you want to live here, prevents a lot of problems.

While I agree it does... It doesnt stop a huge amount of stuff being done totally ass backwards..

I was recently given a motorbike back from a service with barely any engine oil in it.. If I had ridden off into the sunset that would have been a toasted engine.. Watch people tackling a physical problem, just something simple tieing down a load, stacking materials at a building site, etc etc etc and you end up baffled at how little 1+1=2 forethought exists. I dont mean by the manual labourers paid min wage, I mean by the guy who is supposed to be project managing.

• Like 2

Perhaps I'm missing something, but surely you could have performed the same test before taking the car the Honda and wasting all that time?

I try to find a car lighter around my street first. I found out that most new cars come with the jack but not the lighter, and the dealer is just 6 blocks from our home. We drove there to resolve another problem, result of a painting job done days before, If the jack was a problem too, was a chance to fix it.

Do you want to know what was the problem with the painting job??? It is hard to believe too.

Anyway....Not EVERY Thai experience with service is bad.....Our car insurance company service was wonderful dealing with the painting job...

• Like 1

Totally agree....but this do not need to much explanation in any language...and my Thai wife was translating. My "fuse" is short sometimes, not the "sabai..sabai" type....and the manager was lucky I was not a Thai speaker. I also was at the dealer to resolve a previous problem with service.

• Like 1

I have lived here---(quite a few years) & my Thai is woeful , on a good day its enough to make people collapse with laughter. I have traveled the world a lot, & not had many problems with other languages, but I just can not seem to get my head around Passa Thai. I also brought a Honda car, traveled down to BKK to buy it thinking (hoping) that the showrooms there would have an English speaker. No-- So now I realize, that I just can not survive out there without my "Long Haired Dictionary"

• Like 2

Not taking away from anything said...

If in the OP position.. I folks in the neighborhood had cars with lighter socket but no lighter...

Rather than go to the dealership... Likely would have tried to plug in the camera in to the lighter socket of the neighbors car...

Do you live here? Did you ask your neighbors to help you with "weird" needs?... My wife advice is never to do that...and I tested few times. You are very lucky if you do it without getting "weird" reactions. By the way....my car camera is firmly attached to the car, not on the glass.

Hey guys..I just wanted to share something funny..not to create a debate, or getting into much details.. No doubts labor is not the most skilled one in Thailand..in some areas, and with some people, and that can happens anywhere, but in others are amazingly good, specially the one related with art. Carving and painting is something that Thai people are masters, without any formal training.

I am not very smart with many things not related with my profession....or my hobbies. Ask my wife...I drive her craze sometimes.

Edited by umbanda

Just one question , did they charge you for their service ?

No...I also was there to complaint about former service. I have to admit that I getting well known in that Dealer, the "pain on the butt" client, but I learned that sometimes you have to be very demanding with service here...with the right people ..and the right help. I think that Thai people are afraid to complaint or.... it is not common here. May be I was spoiled by the US...and too old now to change some things...Still learning from my Thai wife.

Edited by umbanda

I have lived here---(quite a few years) & my Thai is woeful , on a good day its enough to make people collapse with laughter. I have traveled the world a lot, & not had many problems with other languages, but I just can not seem to get my head around Passa Thai. I also brought a Honda car, traveled down to BKK to buy it thinking (hoping) that the showrooms there would have an English speaker. No-- So now I realize, that I just can not survive out there without my "Long Haired Dictionary"

Sorry, strongly disagree. Want to live in a country, learn to speak the language.

But that would be for a different discussion.

Yes, workmanship can be shoddy here. But in this case it is really easy: if you'd have been able to speak Thai you could have gone to the dealer and asked for a lighter to check the socket. Now most likely your wife tried to explain a problem that you were not even sure was a problem, and that leads to a disaster in many places.

Sorry, strongly disagree. Want to live in a country, learn to speak the language.

I may be mistaken but honestly you seen to be a broken record on the matter of Thai language, StevenL.

Ever hear about a "dog with a bone"?

• Like 1

Easier said then done for some. I can't coach EVERY driver to see the track and traffic the same way anymore then every person can learn to speak any given language, that doesn't mean one shouldn't live somewhere just because they can't speak the language fluently.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I may be mistaken but honestly you seen to be a broken record on the matter of Thai language, StevenL.

Ever hear about a "dog with a bone"?

Yes, your mistaken, I hardly ever post something like this. Can't recall it, but maybe I did mention this some 5 years ago or so.

• Like 1

Easier said then done for some. I can't coach EVERY driver to see the track and traffic the same way anymore then every person can learn to speak any given language, that doesn't mean one shouldn't live somewhere just because they can't speak the language fluently.

As I said, "Want to live in a country, learn to speak the language. But that would be for a different discussion." You're the only one who mentioned 'fluently' BTW, I don't think that is necessary to ask for a lighter.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but surely you could have performed the same test before taking the car the Honda and wasting all that time?

I try to find a car lighter around my street first. I found out that most new cars come with the jack but not the lighter, and the dealer is just 6 blocks from our home. We drove there to resolve another problem, result of a painting job done days before, If the jack was a problem too, was a chance to fix it.

Do you want to know what was the problem with the painting job??? It is hard to believe too.

Anyway....Not EVERY Thai experience with service is bad.....Our car insurance company service was wonderful dealing with the painting job...

If you want to spend a few moments to relay the issue you had with the pain job at Honda, I'd be interested in hearing it. Our car had two or three small dints and another 5 or so paint scratches/dings after the first year. Per suggestions, we sought the insurance company to sort it out. They did and the repair cost estimate was around 12K THB I believe.

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality job done all around. I didn't expect it really. I couldn't find the spots where the service was done so I was completely satisfied and the insurance handled everything perfectly. We have renewed the insurance with them twice now after that incident.

As I said, "Want to live in a country, learn to speak the language. But that would be for a different discussion." You're the only one who mentioned 'fluently' BTW, I don't think that is necessary to ask for a lighter.

Good for you not for everyone.. Lighters are not a commonly asked for item in most languages so fluently would apply. My missus who does speak fluent Thai still has lot of difficulty with some off the norm words and phrases especially in automotive terms which she has not had a lot of experience with previously. Thai's also tend to make up a lot words for items better left as they're named by the manufacturers.

• Like 1

Not taking away from anything said...

If in the OP position.. I folks in the neighborhood had cars with lighter socket but no lighter...

Rather than go to the dealership... Likely would have tried to plug in the camera in to the lighter socket of the neighbors car...

shoulda woulda coulda.... There were a few options and he picked the one that fit best for him. They should have tested it with the cigarette lighter first, plain and simple... Stupid stuff like this happens all the time here but as others have said TIT. Too many people in positions that they are not trained for. There are many smart Thais but many stupid or untrained ones also ....

If you want to spend a few moments to relay the issue you had with the pain job at Honda, I'd be interested in hearing it. Our car had two or three small dints and another 5 or so paint scratches/dings after the first year. Per suggestions, we sought the insurance company to sort it out. They did and the repair cost estimate was around 12K THB I believe.

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality job done all around. I didn't expect it really. I couldn't find the spots where the service was done so I was completely satisfied and the insurance handled everything perfectly. We have renewed the insurance with them twice now after that incident.

OK..at your request I will mention here what happened with the paint job....

My wife car is a 2014 Jazz we bought brand new. The free insurance was with Ayuttaya and the cost on the policy was about 20K. The renewal letter was asking for a new policy for the same price. I asked for advice with friends and I got the same kind of policy, with even some better protection, and to be serviced only by Honda dealer, and the cost was 12K with Sim Man Kon. I was kind of worry about its service getting that kind of discount. Soon later a motorbike sided the car slightly damaging a rear door. Because the car color is that orange metallic I knew that to match it will be not easy. I was even thinking in just do polished and leave some few marks, but my wife wanted to send it for repairs. The Dealer told me that will need to repaint the complete door, and that the insurance will paid for it, and asked for the best work possible.

Took 4 days, and when we went to get the car, we do not signed the release because the door color was totally off, worst than I was expected. The manager insisted that was the "best" they can do...etc..etc.

I asked my wife to call the insurance agent to talk about the problem, and he said that he will call the Dealer. After more 4 days, the car was back with a close to perfect color match. We were happy...but...after my wife washed the car, the window on that door didn't looked clean, I inspected and I knew that the glass was lightly sprayed with paint. That was the main reason why we were back to the dealer again. The manager said that he doesn't know how that happen. He cleaned the glass in seconds with some solution.

Good...but ..at that time we asked to check the cigarette lighter jack... and took over 40 minutes. You know the ordeal. My wife said that she wants to bring the car to the other Honda dealer in town for the next service....but....it that means 1/2 hour driving...not 5 blocks walking. Anyway...was good to test the insurance company service. Excellent!

Edited by umbanda

The car's camera was not getting power connected on the cigarette lighter jack on my wife's Honda, and because I didn't have the lighter to test it, and find out if the problem was the jack or the connector, I brought the car to the Honda Dealer...just blocks away from home.

We explained to the service manager the problem, just asking him to TEST the jack. He said that we can have a coffee inside the show room, and he will call us when ready.....and he drove the car inside the shop. Okkkkk....

After 20 minutes waiting, I step inside the shop and I saw a technician working inside the car...taking the fuse panel, and part of the dash apart.

In panic, I called my wife to ask the manager what happened.

The manager shows up, and he was trying to explain to my wife that the jack MAY have a problem, even trying to draw a technical sketch of the jack to her....etc...etc...but I did not let him to finish the "lecture"...

I asked if they inserted a lighter to see if was working...He looked at me like I was hallucinating...didn't say one word..and left...for another 10 minutes.

Finally he was back with a lighter, inserted it and ....guess...was working!....Ohhhh....Looks like the camera connector was the problem Sr!

We have to wait another 20 minutes for the technician to place all in order again.

I was ready to kill the guy...my wife trying to understand why I was so upset.....

TIT

Reminds me of each time I take my car to Toyota Hua Hin... Something really expensive is broken and they're just coming to confirm that I want it changed...

Now I know a fair bit about cars but not everything... But I've had a mate show me over a handheld diagnostic computer...

Lee the Toyata mechanic tried telling me the 70k turbo needs replacing! (my orange engine warning light had come on, hence the visit)

I said there's nothing wrong with the turbo...

Funny enough he was pointing at the screen saying "turbo turbo"

I looked down at it and said "where WHERE?? The only red thing there is AFM... What does AFM mean"?.?

I'm sure you can see where this is going...

It appears to me and most of my farang friends here that once your car hits 100k km the dealership starts hinting you need to buy a new car...

So I did buy a new car... I went to Ford ;)