1 year extension not ready, would like to leave Thailand

I have applied for a 1 year extension of my non-o visa, on the grounds of being married to a Thai and having Thai kids.

As according to the "under consideration" stamp, I returned to immigration Feb 2, but it wasnt ready yet, and was told to come back next week.

The thing is, I would like to leave Thailand this Friday Feb 6, if possible, due to a wedding invitation in the Philippines. I talked to an immigration officer, who told me, I should go home and book my plane ticket, and then come back, then it would be no problem, I would get a new valid stamp.

So I returned to immigration today, with a printout of my booking, but unfortunately the officer from yesterday wasnt present. So I explained the situation to another officer, and he consulted most of the staff present, and the final answer was "come back Thursday, maybe extension ready". I then tried to ask,if they would still be able to help me out, even if the extension was not ready, answer "come back Thursday". I guess they didnt know how to handle this situation, and was hoping the problem would go away by itself.

So unfortunately I was unable to get a straight answer, whether it will be possible for me to go or not.

Anybody have experience with this situation? Anything I can do? It is Phuket Immigration fwiw

If you go back on Thursday and the approval has not been done they should do another under consideration stamp with a new report date. If they do that you can get a re-entry permit that will be valid up to that new date.

If you get your extension stamp you also need to get a re-entry permit for it.

I would wait until you get your passport back, sounds like immigration is just playing games. The person that has to sign maybe on vacation. I had to come back in the afternoon because the person was out until 2:00 pm . They said come back at 3:00 pm and when I did my passport was ready.

The reentry permit sounds like like a good idea also.

This stuff is very frustrating seeing it could be so simple but we have to remember this is Thailand and just Smile and say OK.

Edited by ToddinChonburi

But I can be sure I will eventually be able to leave? I havent booked my hotel yet, due to the uncertainty.

You will need an official stamp in your paspsort giving you a new dat untill which you can stay in Thailand/your application is being considered. Otherwise there is nothing to base the re-entry permit on.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But I can be sure I will eventually be able to leave? I havent booked my hotel yet, due to the uncertainty.

You will need an official stamp in your paspsort giving you a new dat untill which you can stay in Thailand/your application is being considered. Otherwise there is nothing to base the re-entry permit on.

Not only that. A re-entry permit will expire as soon as your long term expires. Happened to me. I paid for a re entry and never got to use it. Had to buy a new re entry when I got the extension. slowly does it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not only that. A re-entry permit will expire as soon as your long term expires. Happened to me. I paid for a re entry and never got to use it. Had to buy a new re entry when I got the extension. slowly does it.

It sounds like you got a re-entry permit that was only dated to your permit to stay date. That is normal.

If possible wait till Thursday and sort out the problem first and fly out in the same evening or else things might get complicated with your extension.

If he leaves without getting a re-entry permit for a new under consideration stamp his extension application would end and he would have start all over again by getting a non-o visa.

If he gets his extension he has to get a re-entry permit for it or he would loose his extension.

Yes, I know that I will need an official stamp, but is there a chance they say "too bad, if you wanna leave before your extension is complete, you will lose it"?

Its the uncertainty that frustrates me a bit.

Yes, I know that I will need an official stamp, but is there a chance they say "too bad, if you wanna leave before your extension is complete, you will lose it"?

Its the uncertainty that frustrates me a bit.

If you go there tomorrow you should either get the requested extension or a new under consideration stamp. And with either of those you can get yourself a re-entry permit, which you'll need to keep your extension or consideration valid.

Edited by stevenl

I don't think you can get a re-entry permit based on an "under consideration" stamp (experience at Kap Choeng). I got my extension 10 days after the original "under consideration" date stamped in my passport, and the IO said I couldn't leave the country until my extension was approved....

I don't think you can get a re-entry permit based on an "under consideration" stamp (experience at Kap Choeng). I got my extension 10 days after the original "under consideration" date stamped in my passport, and the IO said I couldn't leave the country until my extension was approved....

But you did not ask about getting a re-entry permit. You also apparently had gone beyond the original report back date and had not gotten a new stamp.

Immigration can and will do a re-entry permit for the under consideration period up to the report back date.

OK I stand corrected.

Regarding missing the original report back date: Because it's a 250Km round trip from my house to immigration, Mrs M rang them before the report back date and they told here to ring the next week. When she rang the next week, it still wasn't ready and told her to ring the next week and it was then ready to collect.

I should have been more specific in my original post

Went there at 1 oclock today, as asked to do. The extension had not yet been completed, but the officer from my first visit remembered me, and said he would take care of it.

Waited 1½ hour, and got my passport back, now with my 1 year extension processed.

• Like 1

Went there at 1 oclock today, as asked to do. The extension had not yet been completed, but the officer from my first visit remembered me, and said he would take care of it.

Waited 1½ hour, and got my passport back, now with my 1 year extension processed.

Good news. Did you get a re-entry permit?

I suspect the officer made a call to the division headquarters dong the approval to get it done.

• Like 1