Giant shark near Phuket ends up on barbecues

webfact

Giant shark near Phuket ends up on barbecues
Eakkapop Thongtub

1422957102_1-org.jpg
Villagers haul the shark onto the shore . It weighed around 300 kilos.

PHUKET: -- Scientists from the Coastal Fisheries Research and Development Centre in Krabi yesterday (February 2) went to take a look at a very large dead shark found floating just off the coast.

But when they got there they found that local residents had already beaten them to it – chopping up the shark and 18 baby sharks found dead inside it, and distributing the meat fairly to everyone, while it was still fresh.

The locals in Tha Maprow village reported that they had found the dead shark floating in Maprao Bay. Local fishermen used a long tail boat to bring it ashore. They said that the shark had no signs of any injuries.

Of some help to the scientists were a bunch of photos someone had thoughtfully taken before the meat cleaver was deployed.

In the interests of science, the villagers also used a yardstick to measure the shark – it was 3.15 metres long – and weighed it – it topped 300 kilos.

The villagers gave their opinion that the shark had died while giving birth.

Tassapon Krajangdara, an official from the Andaman Coastal Fisheries Research and Development Centre in Phuket, commented after seeing photos of the shark that it appeared to be either a bull shark or a cub shark, which belong to the same family as blacktip reef sharks.

They do not harm humans, he said, preying only on small marine creatures such as shrimp, squid and baby turtles.

“Don’t worry,” he said. “This one is not a great white shark. We don’t have great whites here in Thailand.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/giant-shark-near-phuket-ends-up-on-barbecues-50865.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-04

They found it floating in the water with no physical injuries. What did it die from? This is a little like scrapping up road kill from the side of the road. I wouldn't be eating something I found dead in the sea, you don't know what toxins may have killed the pregnant shark.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 2

The official making the statement should be fired! Hard to tell from pic but more than likely a big bull shark which is a very dangerous shark. There have been many attacks from them. Ive had interactions with them in the wild and they are no joke. Yes they are in these water.

<clip..clip>

Secondly, bull sharks are more dangerous than great whites or tiger sharks. They have the highest testosterone levels of any animal, including humans, on this planet, which makes them extremely aggressive. <clip..clip>

Thirdly, they do inhabit these waters. As a scuba diver I have often seem them when on day trip diving expeditions out of Phuket, as well as other diving sites around Thailand.

Finally, bull sharks are responsible for more shark attacks on humans than any other breed of shark, and that's because they can survive in both salt and fresh water, and they regularly migrate along rivers from the sea well past where the salt water ends and the fresh water begins. There have been many documentaries made about this behaviour by bull sharks.

Edited by oilinki
Bold font reseted and unnecessary biting removed
  • Like 2

<clip..clip>

Secondly, bull sharks are more dangerous than great whites or tiger sharks. They have the highest testosterone levels of any animal, including humans, on this planet, which makes them extremely aggressive. <clip..clip>

Thirdly, they do inhabit these waters. As a scuba diver I have often seem them when on day trip diving expeditions out of Phuket, as well as other diving sites around Thailand.

Finally, bull sharks are responsible for more shark attacks on humans than any other breed of shark, and that's because they can survive in both salt and fresh water, and they regularly migrate along rivers from the sea well past where the salt water ends and the fresh water begins. There have been many documentaries made about this behaviour by bull sharks.

At Chumpon Pinnacle near Koh Tao there are quite often bull sightings.

From Phuket: no, sorry, not true. I have been diving here for 10+ years now, and dive very regularly here and speak other instructors on a daily basis. Nobody has ever seen one here.

In these waters I do know of one (1) confirmed sighting, about 10 years ago on a Burma trip in Burma waters.

"Don't worry," he said. This one is not a great white shark. We don't have great whites here in Thailand.

That's because they don't like the 90 day reporting crap or the dual pricing to enter the marine parks.

Nah... these are Thai waters and Nivea has not yet invented shark whitening cream!!!

sorry.gifWPFflags.gifshock1.gif

• Like 1

From Phuket: no, sorry, not true. I have been diving here for 10+ years now, and dive very regularly here and speak other instructors on a daily basis. Nobody has ever seen one here.

In these waters I do know of one (1) confirmed sighting, about 10 years ago on a Burma trip in Burma waters.

I remember seeing a bull shark once at Hin Daeng, about 12 years ago. I did not recognise what it was, but trusted more senior dive staff for their identification.

<clip..clip>

Look at the picture, isnt that proof enough that they live in these waters? Ive seen one at Racha Yai when I first got here little over a year ago. I spearfish, no tanks. Meaning I spend hours in the water not scaring fish with bubbles. Ive seen many bulls over the years in different Pacific waters and it was unmistakeable to my trained eyes what i saw.

http://blog.sea-bees.com/2008/02/21/sea-bees-diving-overnight-trip-with-bull-shark-encounter/bull-shark-at-hin-daeng-phuket-with-sea-bees-diving/

Problem with bull sharks is they will be around and you never see them. In general sharks are skiddish. Groups of divers will not normally encounter these sharks unless they are attracted to an area with food on a regular basis. Lone spearfishermen such as myself are much more likely to encounter them.

<clip..clip>

Look at the picture, isnt that proof enough that they live in these waters? Ive seen one at Racha Yai when I first got here little over a year ago. I spearfish, no tanks. Meaning I spend hours in the water not scaring fish with bubbles. Ive seen many bulls over the years in different Pacific waters and it was unmistakeable to my trained eyes what i saw.

Bull Shark at Racha Yai. Bull.

http://blog.sea-bees.com/2008/02/21/sea-bees-diving-overnight-trip-with-bull-shark-encounter/bull-shark-at-hin-daeng-phuket-with-sea-bees-diving/

Problem with bull sharks is they will be around and you never see them. In general sharks are skiddish. Groups of divers will not normally encounter these sharks unless they are attracted to an area with food on a regular basis. Lone spearfishermen such as myself are much more likely to encounter them.

Good, 2 sightings in 15 years.

@Stevenl

You're wrong.

Check the link below for Bull shark range. You can clearly see that the Andaman Sea is within their range.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bull+shark+range&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=eJ7RVMKtNaS2mwWxwYKYCQ&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=971

I don't doubt it is within their range, but I doubt the sudden many sightings.

A three metre shark is considered a "giant"?

Cobblers!.

I had the good fortune to go surfing with a friendly shark at New Smyrna Beach in Florida once.

It was more of a boogy board body-surfing I was doing. I was neck deep & jumped up to catch a wave & a 1.5 meter (he was 4 or 5 feet long) shark was next to me!

Sum-bitch surfed right next to me down the wave.

Needless to say I rode that wave perfectly all the way to the shore & was walking on what little bit of water I had to cross to get to dry land.

They look pretty big when you're in the water next to him unexpectedly!!!

A three metre shark is considered a "giant"?

Cobblers!.

I had the good fortune to go surfing with a friendly shark at New Smyrna Beach in Florida once.

It was more of a boogy board body-surfing I was doing. I was neck deep & jumped up to catch a wave & a 1.5 meter (he was 4 or 5 feet long) shark was next to me!

Sum-bitch surfed right next to me down the wave.

Needless to say I rode that wave perfectly all the way to the shore & was walking on what little bit of water I had to cross to get to dry land.

They look pretty big when you're in the water next to him unexpectedly!!!

I have had dolphins on the same wave as me a couple of times while surfing. A bit of an adrenalin rush when you first see the fin but amazing once you realize it is a dolphin. They have a lot of fun in the waves & one could almost see a cheeky grin when they drop in on you.

BTW a 10' shark might not be a giant but it can still kill or take your leg & I agree what others are saying about bull sharks being aggressive. Where I come from have seen some massive white pointers.

Edited by Valentine

I saw quite a big shark at Hin Klang off Phi Phi. My dive buddy and I couldn't put it down to anything else but a bull shark. That was in about 2008 though. If you look at the picture of this shark the fins sort of give it away. If only they got a photo of the tail it would be certain. What other 300 kilo shark could it be?

<clip..clip>

if You were using scuba then you probably see very few if any sharks. The bubbles spook them and make them very scared. I remember swimming along at about 60 feet with a shoal of sharks in the PPI lands. I was about to film them when they started darting all over the place and then they all disappeared a few minutes later I saw a group of scuba divers approaching. In other countries it's much the same. Diving in the Maldives in 1955 I saw tens of thousands of sharks everywhere. This of course before the event of anybody using scuba diving in the country. I saw lots of sharks at the islands of pattaya when I was diving there in 1963. But I don't use scuba. ,But of course now they're all gone.

• Like 1