What's the average income for white-collar Thai in Bangkok?

LetsTryThis

The Adecco figures looked low to me but then I noticed that they're for beginning-level positions (0-5 years). My old Bangkok Thai friends (40s, college-educated) are generally pulling down 70-150k, and a few make more than that. And as someone mentioned, bonuses and other perks add even more. It's real money.

Difficult to answer as wages vary so dramatically. A English speaking manager working for a foreign company will make bucket loads more than a Thai speaking software developer or a government office worker. The engish speaker for a foreign company can make 50k per month but the government worker will likely be getting under 20k. The guys at 20k are a lot more common than those at 50 or 60, so I'd say that is closer to an 'average' in Bangkok. Unless you are only looking at managers or other higher end jobs.

Gov jobs kinda throw a wrench in the discussion. B/c yeah, I know tons of Thais that have been working for the gov for years and are still hovering around 20K. And somehow the gov is able to sidestep the minimum wage, as many teachers, police officers, and other public servants start out at under 10K. That aside, salaries are definitely a bit higher than I initially suspected. I mean, someone's gotta be buying up all those condos they're building.

on top of that, i bet there are many small-to-medium business owners. From my recent extended trip to Jakarta, I noticed how well-off the small business owners are over there.

For sure. Do not be fooled by all those street vendors and mom & pop restaurants. Some of them are making a killing.

• Like 1

And don't you worry those poor dear government workers and government teachers. If they provide 20 years of service, they receive a retirement benefit equal or similar to their finishing salary. They receive that for the rest of their lives. That's why the government jobs are so sought after. Unfortunately you pretty much have to be a family member or a best friend to get the government jobs. So they finish uni at 25 max. Get the retirement at 45. And get this---then they get another high paying job either government or private for 15 years double salary. Then at 60 they open a side stall + continue to receive a retirement benefit from government and also the retirement benefit from said job that they took. Many of them are receiving 2 or 3 benefits. It's no wonder there is no money to pay the poor old farmers that are feeding these greedy slobs

A bit off topic - there is a high class hotel corner of Ploenchit & Ruam Rudee. that 2 servers in bar outside told my gf they earn 30,000/mo salary + 100/day for taxi home (not verified of course). One of the servers regularly posts copies of her monthly check for service charge disbursement on FB - it's always 12,000 - 15,000. Pretty substantial monthly income for server. It's all about who your employer is wherever you work.

A bit off topic - there is a high class hotel corner of Ploenchit & Ruam Rudee. that 2 servers in bar outside told my gf they earn 30,000/mo salary + 100/day for taxi home (not verified of course). One of the servers regularly posts copies of her monthly check for service charge disbursement on FB - it's always 12,000 - 15,000. Pretty substantial monthly income for server. It's all about who your employer is wherever you work.

The only hotel there is the Novotel. And you are calling that high class? Oh Lordy

• Like 1

The only hotel there is the Novotel. And you are calling that high class? Oh Lordy

Well it would be the lap of luxury if the poster of this comment lives in a thb 500/day "room" with a fan :lol:

• Like 1

Over the top salaries. My wife says 7-8k month is normal Thai wages. Only a tiny tiny share of Thais have such elite jobs like the ones listed.

Well I believe your wife might be correct if your talking about the wilds of Isaan

I remember reading averages somewhere as regards salaries in Thailand and BKK was given as circa thb 40/m but the interesting thing was that average salaries in the Rayong area were almost double that of Bangkok

Over the top salaries. My wife says 7-8k month is normal Thai wages. Only a tiny tiny share of Thais have such elite jobs like the ones listed.

It does say white collar, college graduate office types. Lot of the high salaries here are the top of the pyramid white collar workers though.

Well I believe your wife might be correct if your talking about the wilds of Isaan

I remember reading averages somewhere as regards salaries in Thailand and BKK was given as circa thb 40/m but the interesting thing was that average salaries in the Rayong area were almost double that of Bangkok

Per capita income in Bangkok is about 40k per month. In Rayong it is a staggering 102k per month.

These numbers have nothing to do with average salaries though. These provinces, as well as a few others, have lots amounts of high gdp industry and massive migrant labor from other provinces. The workers are registered back in their home provinces though, so when the GDP for the province is divided by the provinces population, it is not including these workers.

Per capita income in Bangkok is about 40k per month. In Rayong it is a staggering 102k per month.

These numbers have nothing to do with average salaries though. These provinces, as well as a few others, have lots amounts of high gdp industry and massive migrant labor from other provinces. The workers are registered back in their home provinces though, so when the GDP for the province is divided by the provinces population, it is not including these workers.

You may be right, can't remember where I seen it, but was struck by the fact Rayong was a lot higher than BKK :D

Pennny pinching retirees, English teachers dont want to believe the fact that educated thais make decent money, they feel better thinking 15-20k salary is the norm just because they get paid peanuts. White collar workers make good money here, last girl I met works at KPMG, she pulls in 70-80k at least because her rent is 30k. I didnt ask her salary. But she probably even makes more than my guess. Went to her flat, very decent 1br fully serviced high end condo.

Amazing opportunities here for a decent English speaking educated local.

Just had a look at Adeccos report, its on par with my observation.

It's that sickening disgusting superiority complex that many farang have. Maybe that's why they hate chinese people so much.