Tiger Temple raided:

Lite Beer

Monks too are human...not holy...subject to all the temptations...some succumb to worldly pursuits...tarnishes the reputations of the one's trying to live their lives apart from the sins of the general population...

• Like 1

Monks too are human...not holy...subject to all the temptations...some succumb to worldly pursuits...tarnishes the reputations of the one's trying to live their lives apart from the sins of the general population...

can't blame them for falling for The Temptations....... great band.

• Like 1

I was at this place about 2009. I certainly did not see anything out of the ordinary other then tigers roaming around with their handlers. I have a few photos taken with them. Of course they were chained with a respectable length. Why would you or 'they' want to take a chance at these crazy tourists who would do anything. All they would need is a mauling. There was a time limit and the tigers were taken back to wherever.

Then went on to see various animals in large zoo type areas wandering around. I certainly did not see anything what I would have thought illegal going on. But, I wasn't looking for it. It seemed good that someone was giving these tigers a chance. I thought the story was that this monk was saving tigers from being poached. The first one was a cub when its mother was killed.

So in our midst there are those would rather see wild animals go extinct then to give them a helping hand. Mankind all over the world is encroaching on their habitats killing their survival. I'm not saying they should be caged as if in a circus, but to adapt is to survive. The numbers can't all be in the wild, nor a circus, nor a zoo, or a natural habitat without euthanasia.

It is sad, IMO, that this place that certainly gave a sense of good deeds has this hanging over them. I would hope it is wrong. I wonder how much was that certain bribes were not paid, thus the smack down. Clean up what was wrong and let their mission continue. That would be the best. For the animals and for society and the movement.

Edited by GoNavy

1800 pounds of pig meet per day (based on quick Google search for 100 tigers) or around 18 x 90 kg pigs

18 pigs x 6000 Baht = 108,000 just in pig meet.

plenty of money left over for cement statues and other Buddhist crap.

but it's better than the tiger penises being sold for magic Chinese medicine in Burmese.

it's all relative.

firstly you're assuming they aren't supplying tigers for tiger parts in other countries.

Secondly you don't seem aware of the husbandry and conservation issues surrounding the place and the way their misleading claims hinder REAL conservation efforts.

Edited by cumgranosalum

I was at this place about 2009. I certainly did not see anything out of the ordinary other then tigers roaming around with their handlers. I have a few photos taken with them. Of course they were chained with a respectable length. Why would you or 'they' want to take a chance at these crazy tourists who would do anything. All they would need is a mauling. There was a time limit and the tigers were taken back to wherever.

Then went on to see various animals in large zoo type areas wandering around. I certainly did not see anything what I would have thought illegal going on. But, I wasn't looking for it. It seemed good that someone was giving these tigers a chance. I thought the story was that this monk was saving tigers from being poached. The first one was a cub when its mother was killed.

So in our midst there are those would rather see wild animals go extinct then to give them a helping hand. Mankind all over the world is encroaching on their habitats killing their survival. I'm not saying they should be caged as if in a circus, but to adapt is to survive. The numbers can't all be in the wild, nor a circus, nor a zoo, or a natural habitat without euthanasia.

It is sad, IMO, that this place that certainly gave a sense of good deeds has this hanging over them. I would hope it is wrong. I wonder how much was that certain bribes were not paid, thus the smack down. Clean up what was wrong and let their mission continue. That would be the best. For the animals and for society and the movement.

" I would have thought illegal going on. But, I wasn't looking for it." - QED - it took weeks months for people with a good animal welfare and conservation background to put a case against this place.

" But, I wasn't looking for it. It seemed good that someone was giving these tigers a chance. I thought the story was that this monk was saving tigers from being poached." - this is absolute hogwash - the animals were illegally bred by the temple. The fact that you have swallowed this myth promulgated by the temple is a good example of how they have mislead the public into believing they had conservation credentials when in reality they are HARMING conservation efforts.

guess the wolves were too expensive to just let them be taken, they obviously couldnt afford to not have them to sell or already had sold them. Lets hope the police drag these mongrels over the coals, saffron shouldnt hold them back from really dishing it up to the bastards over this, monk or no monk they deserve jail time. Just hope they find the wolves still alive......

Bloody monks, I have zero respect for,along with all the other charlatans who prey on the gullible idiots who follow bullshit religions.

100 tigers? Is this the worlds most successful captive breeding centre?

I agree, the tigers are safer in the temple than released into the wild. The temple should be given the legal documentation to breed tigers in captivity and the abbot awarded for his conservation of the species.

• Like 1

Sadly the authorities were there for the birds rather than tigers, its a well known place to acquire rare birds or put an order in. Some locals in Kan do the trapping of these birds or aquire them from Myanmar contacts and you can see plenty for sale also at the border crossing in kan with Myanmar.

The rare birds are trafficked much easier than tigers and have a far bigger demand.

Its been going on for years, most in the area know what its all about and who the abbot has connections with, this is well overdue and hope they shut the place down, but from what I was told about some of those connections I very much doubt it will be.

Edited by englishoak

I agree, the tigers are safer in the temple than released into the wild. The temple should be given the legal documentation to breed tigers in captivity and the abbot awarded for his conservation of the species.

Come on! Get with it - they were BRED at the temple - they are probably hybrids and inbred too...there is NO WAY could they EVER be released into the wild....... as for safe? What on earth do you mean? its not a question of safe - they are abused; the temple has bred over 100 tiger ILLEGALLY for public petting -

• Like 1

Do you realise this is complete and utter nonsense?

• Like 1

I doubt if much is going to come of this that will sort out the problems created by the temple - it looks as if they were only concerned with the illegal trade birds and other wildlife - my hope is that they will replace the Abbott and his raggle-taggle team with experts, my guess is that next week it will be business as usual.

Edited by cumgranosalum
  • Like 1

This place needs to be shut down, monks needs to be stripped of their rob and jailed. The place may have started off as what they claim, but these greedy monks turned corrupt. There are countless documentaries filmed by different investigative journalist worldwide filming the abuse and money made.

• Like 1

I've never understood tourists go there to see and touch the tigers, worst thing to go with children, stupid humans and parents.

For a long time it was promoted as a place that helps tigers that got rescued. I am sure many tourists thought they do something good by supporting them.

Jajaja, some people always try to see good things even is all bad. How can U go specially with children to walk around and touch such animals.Of course there are beautiful animals,but they are PREDATORS. Because of monks are involved with this you think is safe and wonderful.

• Like 1

I used to go there years ago when there was only a couple of tigers, strangely nobody said anything. Seems to me as though it's the usual jealousy game, probably end up in China on someones dinner table.......... Sad........

"Jealousy"???? - more like a tit-for-tat thing or some kind of retribution for an undelivered "promise"?

• Like 1

Yes, went there quite innocently a few months ago when visiting the a River Kwai bridge. Arrived at the site and was met by people from an animal cruelty organisation handing out leaflets about the place. If the pamphlets are correct it is horrifying what goes on.

They even said that many if the men weren't monks at all and it was not a sanctuary but a business in profiteering.

Didn't go in and left as did some others and put a message on Facebook so I am pleased to see something happen there.

A rare well done to the Thai authorities

Can you say what the organisation was?

A few years ago the Indian authorities banned all tourist contact with tigers in national parks.

That is the way forward.

It's banned here too....the temple is not a national park, part of it is registered as a zoo and the place was "officially" shut down several years back - but they then realised they hadn't the resources to deal with closure so the monks were allowed to continue. They then seem to have embarked on this catastrophic breeding "program". I'd suggest the motivation behind this is two-fold.

firstly a supply of "cute cubs" to draw in the public, and secondly the ever increasing number of Tigers just makes it more and more impossible to shut the place down.