A paperless Thailand: Plans for 700 Thai government agencies to go online

Jonathan Fairfield

A paperless Thailand: Plans for 700 Thai government agencies to go online

600x336xega-600x336.jpg.pagespeed.ic.hsW

BANGKOK:– Thailand’s Electronic Government Agency (EGA) has announced new plans to introduce a complete cloud storage system to more than 700 Thai government agencies.

The requirement for Thai people to submit a paper copy for their national ID card when dealing with a government agency would be a thing of the past.

How about Immigrations?

"The benefits of moving to a cloud based system would allow the government agencies to lower operational costs and reduce the chances of human error."

Immigration isn't interested in lowering costs or reducing human error. They only want to bust our ____ssad.png

Having been around IT systems for over 30 years I have lost count of the number of times I have seen companies start their paperless office projects, as a rule they generally then generate more paper than the system they are replacing thumbsup.gif

----------------------------------

Agree.

The U.S mi;itary years ago started a "reduction in paperwork' : initiative.

To be honest it has simply generated more paperwork.

Beaurecrats just love documents..

I rememmber being in the U.S. Army and i had to send:

• A daily report
  • A weekly summary of daily reports
  • A monthly "report of reports", which summarized the weekly reports for that month.
  • And finaaly a yearly report of monthly reports.

I wish that was a joke, but it is not.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

was at Phrachaup land office buying land with Ms poohy yesterday...... the system was archaic and certainly not paperless, its got along long way to go there!

You ought to drop into the mines department in BKK.

All will be fine, an executive from the company supplying printers and supplies will arrive at the project managers desk with correct incentive$ and voila, every time someone makes an electronic entry a print out of this will magically appear at the nearest laser printer

• Like 1

How about Immigrations?

It's already happening with the 90 day report. I no longer need to fill out a form at my Immigration Office. Just give them the passport, they "read it," print out a new 90 day notice and staple it in the passport. Fast and easy.

• Like 2

How about Immigrations?

You mean this place?

410780488.jpg

Not likely.

One of those stacks is probably mine, because over the past 25 years I had to submit the same bunch of documents over and over and over again, regardless whether any information contained in them had changed or not since my last visit.

90 day reporting alas still needs the form in some offices; I asked if it was necessary and they said yes - in case the computer system goes down! paperless offices in LoS??? i should coco!

On my last report, I went in with the form filled out ahead of time, as usual, and they specifically told me not to do it again. Just come in, put my passport in a basket, then they scan it, print out the new 90 notice (instead of tearing it off the bottom of the form like they used to do) and I'm out the door in less than a minute or two. But, yea, all offices are different.

BANGKOK:– Thailand’s Electronic Government Agency (EGA) has announced new plans to introduce a complete cloud storage system to more than 700 Thai government agencies.

Translation: They're going to put all of your private information on the Interwebnet.

blink.png

How about Immigrations?

It's already happening with the 90 day report. I no longer need to fill out a form at my Immigration Office. Just give them the passport, they "read it," print out a new 90 day notice and staple it in the passport. Fast and easy.

Still need a copy of the passport, extension of stay stamp and departure card.

Now the 90 day report is something we should be able to do online without going to the office.

• Like 1