Where to study Thai?

OliverKlozerof

Background: I've been in BKK 9 years and my Thai is basic at best. The apartment building I'm in will be torn down at the end of this year, so I need to start looking for a new place. I want to get ready for the new accommodation search (btw, I'm looking for low end, and something rather specific, so not worth marketing to), by improving my Thai so I can communicate with prospective landlords better. (And, obviously, with others.)

I studied 1hr/week with a Thai woman for about 4 years, mainly on reading/writing. So, I can do a bit of that. It was not much, but way better than nothing.
I'm now brainstorming...should I find a room in Chiang Mai and study up there (get totally away from my life in BKK and devote myself to Thai language for a while--maybe 2 months?). Could I do the same thing by a beach somewhere (NOT Pattaya), say down near Prachuap town, south of Hua Hin (been there couple times, quite enjoy the sleepiness...), or similar place?
When I studied Japanese in Japan, I was in a group situation, which I found much better than studying on my own, which I initially tried. So, I think I'd like to go this route again--at least try.
OR, maybe there's a good value school right here in BKK? But somehow I think it would be cheaper, and maybe a nice break, to go somewhere else for a few months to do it.
Constructive comments/suggestions/experiences...?
Thx

Studying in Bangkok ranges from around 100 THB per hour up for group sessions, so it's relatively cheap to study here. Duke Language School (You can google them) would probably be a good start for you, as it's nice and relaxed, and doesn't break the bank either (It's on Sukumvit Soi 15, so easy to get to via the BTS/MRT as well).

Although I have to admit, that when you go somewhere new, you often then need to speak with more new people, and so you're forced to use your Thai a bit more often in everyday situations (As well as having a bit of fun travelling). So there might be some advantages to going somewhere different, but then, when you move apartments, you'll likely end up in that situation anyway lol.

• Like 1

There are some language schools in Hua Hin.. so there you have it: possibility to study and beach nearby (though the beaches south are nicer). In the shopping mall, Market village, there are two I know of, both next to eachother: Waalen and I believe the other Berlitz, but I'm not sure. Then opposite of Soi 84 there is another language school and of course you can get private teachers. I personally don't have any experience with the schools, as I like to learn on my computer and practice in real life bit by bit....

As we are brainstorming, I have been considering learning Thai to a higher level and thought about going to University to study Thai.

Would you find that interesting, having the university experience as well.

I speak, read and write Thai quite well, but do not feel I am fluent.

I have no idea what this would cost, nor the type of language course it would offer.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this area, ie university Thai language courses. I am living here on a marriage extension and could get an extension based on retirement if I needed, so this would be a genuine desire to learn Thai to a higher level and not as a way to stay in Thailand on an Ed Visa or whatever.

Edited by dsfbrit