Anger, grief in Mideast at IS killing of Jordanian pilot

webfact

Anger, grief in Mideast at IS killing of Jordanian pilot
By HAMZA HENDAWI

CAIRO (AP) — The horrific fate of a captured Jordanian pilot, burned to death by the Islamic State group, unleashed a wave of grief and rage on Wednesday across the Middle East, a region long riven by upheavals and violence. Political and religious leaders united in outrage and condemnation, saying the slaying of the airman goes against Islam's teachings.

The gruesome militant video of the last moments in the life of 26-year-old Lt. Muath Al-Kaseasbeh, whose F-16 crashed in Syria in December during a U.S.-led coalition raid on the extremist group, crossed a line — beyond the beheadings of Western hostages at the hands of Islamic State extremists.

From the world's most prestigious seat of Sunni Islam learning, Cairo's Al-Azhar Mosque, Grand Imam Ahmed al-Tayeb said the IS militants deserve the Quranic punishment of death, crucifixion or the chopping off of their arms for being enemies of God and the Prophet Muhammad.

"Islam prohibits the taking of an innocent life," al-Tayeb said. By burning the pilot to death, he added, the militants violated Islam's prohibition on the immolation or mutilation of bodies — even during wartime.

Under many Mideast legal systems, capital punishment is usually carried out by hanging. In Iran and Pakistan, stoning to death as punishment for adultery exists in the penal code but is rarely used. Beheadings are routinely carried out in Saudi Arabia, and Gaza's militant Hamas rulers have on occasion publicly shot to death Palestinians suspected of spying for Israel.

But burning to death as a punishment proscribed by an Islamic court — such as the self-styled tribunals set up by the Islamic State militants in areas under their control — is unheard of in the contemporary Middle East. The IS extremists captured a third of both Iraq and Syria in a blitz last year, proclaimed their caliphate and imposed their harsh interpretation of Islamic law.

In Saudi Arabia, prominent cleric Sheik Salman al-Oudah cited on Wednesday a saying attributed to the Prophet Muhammad, which reserves for God alone the right to punish by fire.

In Qatar, cleric Youssef al-Qaradawi — respected by the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamists — issued a five-page statement listing Quranic verses and sayings, also attributed to the prophet and telling Muslims to not mistreat prisoners of war.

But al-Qaradawi tempered his admonishment of the immolation death of the Jordanian pilot by criticizing the international community's "laxity" toward Syrian President Bashar Assad, saying such an attitude "created these extremist groups and provided them with a fertile environment."

In Algeria, cleric El-Hadi Shalaby noted that the majority of Islamic State group's victims have been Muslims, both Sunnis and Shiites.

"What hurts me as a Muslim is that they (IS militants) do all this in the name of Islam," he said. "The Muslim faith is utterly foreign to these practices."

However, some sought to justify the Islamic State's killing of the pilot.

Hussein Bin Mahmoud, an Islamic State-linked theologian, claimed on one of the group's social media forums that two of the Prophet Muhammad's revered successors ordered punishment by fire for renegades shortly after the Prophet's death. Al-Azhar has long disputed this claim.

Bin Mahmoud also cited a Quranic verse that requires Muslims to punish their enemies in kind. Since U.S.-led airstrikes "burn" Muslims, he argued, the IS group must burn those behind the raids.

But that view has only been embraced by a radical fringe, and mainstream Muslims united in condemnation of the killing on Wednesday.

Iyad Madani, the leader of the 57-nation, Saudi-based Organization of Islamic Cooperation — the world's largest bloc of Muslim countries — said the killing showed total disregard for the rights of prisoners under Islam, as well as what he called the moral standards for war.

There is a "malaise" in parts of the Middle East, along with the "intellectual decay, the political fragmentation and the abuse of Islam, the great religion of mercy," he said.

U.S.-allied Gulf Arab nations issued similar condemnations.

United Arab Emirates' foreign minister, Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, reaffirmed his nation's commitment to fighting terrorism and extremism. "This heinous and obscene act represents a brutal escalation by the terrorist group, whose evil objectives have become apparent," he said.

The UAE is one of the most visible Arab members in the U.S.-led coalition battling the Islamic State group, which also includes Jordan.

Bahrain, a Gulf state that is home to the U.S. 5th Fleet, denounced the killing as "despicable," and Kuwait's emir, Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah, blasted the killing as "criminal" and "vicious."

Qatar's Foreign Ministry also condemned the "criminal act." The tiny but very rich Gulf nation hosts the regional command center coordinating coalition airstrikes.

In predominantly Muslim Turkey, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called the killing an act of "savagery," adding that "there is no such thing in our religion."

Iran, which has aided both Iraq and Syria against the IS, said the killing of the pilot was an "inhuman" act that violated the codes of Islam, according to Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham.

Tunisia's Foreign Ministry decried the "cowardly" and "savage" act. The newly elected President Beji Caid Essebsi said the pilot's slaying was an "odious crime" incompatible with the principles of Islam and all other divine laws.

In his native Jordan, the killing of al-Kaseasbeh — who had been the subject of intense negotiations over a possible swap with an al-Qaida prisoner on death row — drew swift retribution.

The prisoner, an Iraqi woman convicted of involvement in a triple hotel bombing in Amman in 2005, was executed along with another al-Qaida prisoner at dawn on Wednesday.

The pan-Arab al-Hayat newspaper denounced the pilot's killing with a one-word headline on the front page: "Barbarity."

"How many ... are there, whose names we are ignorant of, slaughtered by the Islamic State and their brothers?" asked an article in Lebanon's left-leaning daily Assafir.

Jordanian politician Mohammed al-Rousan wept openly on national television as he described watching al-Kaseasbeh's death, saying even people accustomed to violence could not bear to see a man burned alive.

Then, his tears turned to rage.

"Let's use the same methods as them!" he shouted during the interview with Lebanon's al-Mayadeen TV. "Let's kill their children! Let's kill their women!"
___

Associated Press writers Adam Schreck in Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Diaa Hadid in Beirut; Maamoun Youssef in Cairo; Suzan Frazer in Ankara; Bouazza ben Bouazza in Tunis, Tunisia; Aomar Ouali in Algiers, Algeria, and Akram Fares in Gaza City, Gaza Strip, contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-05

siampolee,

<Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you.>

so, what can you do when they burn you alive?

The famous Inquisition at Middle Ages used to burn people alive at 'Auto-da-Fe' - the Act of Faith.

They used big (quick) fires or small (slow) fires. They also used chains - long or short - to allow victim free but limited movement away from the heat.

And torture prior to burning was a standard procedure.

I love a good quote. Like <Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you.>

But it is not applicable in real life situations.

After countless acts of torture, horrific punishments such as having limbs cut off, not to mention the public beheadings and stoning - i'd say what's happening in the middle east 'crossed the line' long ago.

• Like 1

ABCer post # 5

siampolee,

<Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you.>

so, what can you do when they burn you alive?

The famous Inquisition at Middle Ages used to burn people alive at 'Auto-da-Fe' - the Act of Faith.

They used big (quick) fires or small (slow) fires. They also used chains - long or short - to allow victim free but limited movement away from the heat.

And torture prior to burning was a standard procedure.

I love a good quote. Like <Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you.>

But it is not applicable in real life situations.

And the point you were or are trying to make is ????????

Edited by siampolee

*Deleted Post edited out*

Saw the video as well.

Multiple cameras, music, pyrotechnics...and a pretty gruesome act if it is real.

These guys are pretty sick people.

I understand the circle jerk of which countries are friends with which countries, who is friends with who and who support who etc...

...but I don't understand why ISIS is not wiped off the face of the Earth...instead they are betting bigger, bolder and stronger while we watch more and more acts of terrorism.

Edited by Scott
Deleted post edit out
  • Like 1

Looked pretty real to me...especially the flesh dripping off his face near the end of the video.

I don't understand how anyone would voluntarily watch such a thing, the world is full of such darkness that I have no desire to be further desensitized by it. I do believe however it is important to know in outline where evil is, if somehow cumulative will can make a difference

Looked pretty real to me...especially the flesh dripping off his face near the end of the video.

I don't understand how anyone would voluntarily watch such a thing, the world is full of such darkness that I have no desire to be further desensitized by it. I do believe however it is important to know in outline where evil is, if somehow cumulative will can make a difference

Yesterday, I leaned into the PC watching this video closely when the Mrs, walked over. I stumbled for the off click but realized it was arabic and slammed the laptop closed. I told her I do not want her to see this. She knows my position on such things but stated something to the effect that the Buddha said... and commented on what we allow into our minds. Her point was valid but... I did not want her to see this because it is very, very dark. At the same time, I want people to see this and wake up. These are my two feelings about this. Some like me, and you guys, are beyond being injured by this crap. Would our children or university campuses benefit our society in general being forced to see this? Sadly, I think yes. The West has no real idea what is coming.

Not only should people watch this video it should be shown - with warnings for minors - on the news, especially in places like the UK. It is disgraceful how little is being done to oppose IS. The politicians have no appetite for it for they know the public have no appetite for it. This is wrong; these monsters are a menace not only to the people of the middle east but the rest of the world. The west in general and the UK in particular needs to get involved with combat troops in coalition with Arab partners. Without it the events on the streets of Paris last month will be a daily occurence in London and other major cities.

I respect your opinion and can see the logic in it. If I did watch something like it I have no idea where the rage and disgust would end. Nicholas Sennels in his essay, how Islam creates monsters opined that the west can overcome the threat of Islam, but fears how much of our dignity, civil rights, blood money and tears would be lost in the process.

I want Islam removed from the planet, or at the minimum the evil satanic Medina verses and hateful Hadiths consigned to the trash bin of history. I desire death for all those who can't be cured of the mental illness that is fundamentalist Islam. But I would still rather death be a bullet in the head or a lethal injection. I have no wish to inflict unnecessary suffering for reasons of revenge, it leaves a stain on the soul to do so in my opinion. This is why though I support this news being broadcast far and wide I still won't watch such videos.

Thank you for a well thought out rationale for not watching it. I understand. Many people are angry and even removed from the battlespace feel grief.

I would like to ask more about the essay you reference. Many people are angry but the things that would be required to have "Islam removed from the planet" are as equally horrific as the problem we face.

These are a few steps I can foresee to halt this Third Great Jihad:

1) A strong definition and policy of responding disproportionately to any muslim aggression.

a. What is the threat?

b. What is the collective source? If a common source, then that source should be banned or destroyed if school or person.

2) A zero tolerance policy of any hate speech, subversion, association with others who's aim is the subordination of the host country, and revocation of citizenship, whether a citizen or not. Citizenship is in essence, a social contract. (The standard for Hate Speech is actually quite easy and is spelled out in the Koran- the supremacist chosen people are preferred above all others and christians, jews, and other pagans are subordinate peoples requiring various bad things to happen to them.

3) A significant removal of all western forces from muslim countries, if not totally (except in those cases where the host decidedly makes clear the invitation to remain).

4) A temporary near total barring of islamic immigrants to Western countries. It is abundantly clear whatever system is in place does not work.

5) A clear consensus that yes, "you are either with us or against us." For all of Bush's foibles this statement is true. It is clear that muslims of the near future will not accept melting pot societies. Not all, but significant populations of muslims practice the very hirjah jihad that their prophet used in subsuming into Medina, gaining power, making demands of the host population, demanding the host subordinate to their Shar'ia, and finally when strong enough, they slaughtered or converted all the host inhabitants.

Yes, this will requite moderate muslim countries to define and defend the premise that they belong to the modern world. There can be little doubt the fantasy the West now lives that our current policies support moderate countries is nonsense. Islam itself must choose for Islam itself.

6) Real energy independence.

The West is at war whether they accept this or not. Not accepting simply means the West is losing the war. No enemy can be engaged if the threat is not perceived; this is equally true of viruses, ideology, or a big rock coming from space. This threat will only grow. A simple observation of its exponential growth suggests great momentum. The West, whether fighting from caves or capital cities in the near future will eventually be forced to respond as aggressively as the threat that consumes them now; it is only time. A fool could see that nothing other than a concerted effort to deal with the foundation will yield results. Islam daily chooses the future because the West daily forfiets their investment. Failure is oblivion.

• Like 2

Not only should people watch this video it should be shown - with warnings for minors - on the news, especially in places like the UK. It is disgraceful how little is being done to oppose IS. The politicians have no appetite for it for they know the public have no appetite for it. This is wrong; these monsters are a menace not only to the people of the middle east but the rest of the world. The west in general and the UK in particular needs to get involved with combat troops in coalition with Arab partners. Without it the events on the streets of Paris last month will be a daily occurence in London and other major cities.

I respect your opinion and can see the logic in it. If I did watch something like it I have no idea where the rage and disgust would end. Nicholas Sennels in his essay, how Islam creates monsters opined that the west can overcome the threat of Islam, but fears how much of our dignity, civil rights, blood money and tears would be lost in the process.

I want Islam removed from the planet, or at the minimum the evil satanic Medina verses and hateful Hadiths consigned to the trash bin of history. I desire death for all those who can't be cured of the mental illness that is fundamentalist Islam. But I would still rather death be a bullet in the head or a lethal injection. I have no wish to inflict unnecessary suffering for reasons of revenge, it leaves a stain on the soul to do so in my opinion. This is why though I support this news being broadcast far and wide I still won't watch such videos.

Steely Dan, any extremist from any faith are not good for the society. that is for sure, be it Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Jain, or any religion you can think of. But I wonder if you are to be labbled for your idology or belief that " i want Islam to be removed from the Planet" as extremist or not??

No one likes Extremists, be it from any religion.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I leaned into the PC watching this video closely when the Mrs, walked over. I stumbled for the off click but realized it was arabic and slammed the laptop closed. I told her I do not want her to see this. She knows my position on such things but stated something to the effect that the Buddha said... and commented on what we allow into our minds. Her point was valid but... I did not want her to see this because it is very, very dark. At the same time, I want people to see this and wake up. These are my two feelings about this. Some like me, and you guys, are beyond being injured by this crap. Would our children or university campuses benefit our society in general being forced to see this? Sadly, I think yes. The West has no real idea what is coming.

Over 20 years ago, I visited Auschwitz. I left with very mixed feelings and I still carry these feelings with me today.

On the one hand, I felt very sick and disgusted and wished that I had not subjected myself to it. On the other hand, it opened up my eyes to how evil and cruel the human race can be, which is a good thing in itself.

I have not and will not visit the Killing Fields.

• Like 1

Might it not be a wise move to look a little closer to the Saudi involvement in current matters.

Let us ask ourselves is Saudi Arabia actually the ally of the west or is it a Muslim state intent on undermining the west?

War with Isis: If Saudis aren't fuelling the militant inferno, who is?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news

Saudi princes 'supported al-Qaeda before 9/11' claims twentieth hijacker As US-Saudi relations enter delicate phase, top former al-Qaeda operative Zacarias Moussaoui alleges high-level Saudi involvement in Osama bin Laden terror network

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/saudiarabia

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

Hmm, my takeaway from this article is that middle easterners are ok with this barbarism as long as it's westerners or asians being hacked to death, but get their panties in a twist when it's one of their own...

• Like 2

Hmm, my takeaway from this article is that middle easterners are ok with this barbarism as long as it's westerners or asians being hacked to death, but get their panties in a twist when it's one of their own...

Yup a lot of outrage and swift retribution when one of their own dies, but lopping off heads of non-Muslims draws very little criticism.

They might want to wake up....this movement is "Coming to a Country Near You" very soon.

• Like 2

Here below is a reminder of (not then Sir) Winston Churchill's comments on Islam which he made over 100 years ago.

How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity.

The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men. Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities - but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilization of ancient Rome.

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Quotations_on_Islam_from_Notable_Non-Muslims

• Like 2

Julia Gillard wasn't particularly liked as an OZ PM but she did make one telling speech regarding Muslim immigrants in particular, worth reading.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/monpyi-thar/prime-minister-julia-gillardaustralias-speech-on-immigrants/10151057541786441

Prime Minister Julia Gillard(Australia)'s speech on immigrants...
Pity subsequent governments haven't followed up in kind. That would also include other western governments.
  • Like 1

One thing that occurred to me is that ISIS may actually be doing us a favour indirectly if it awakens the west to the danger of stealth jihad. According to Emmet Scott (Mohammad and Charlemagne revisited) there is considerable evidence that the Persian empire was Islamized from the top down. The process of buying political influence through threats and bribes is indeed a tried and tested tactic. If we look at the seemingly naive and clueless way our politicians are failing to grasp the true nature of the threat Islam poses you can only wonder whether history is repeating itself.

http://gatesofvienna.net/2015/02/ask-not-for-whom-the-muezzin-ululates/#more-35452

• Like 1

You seem to have a thing for involving the UK. how you know that we are not already involved, also where is, France, Spain, Italy. Belgium, and the rest, why does Britain have to be the first one in , where are all the Arab Nations not condemning these barbaric acts, where is China, Russia, Its there world too.

• Like 2

Until the video of his son's death was released, the father of the murdered pilot was on record in various media articles as furious that his country was even involved in the coalition strikes with the west against ISIS, essentially indirectly blaming the west for his son's capture and asserting that Jordan's armed forces should be for defense purposes only and not used for external campaigns. Of course, his tune has changed considerably and now he seeks five eyes for one eye. Once it became 'personal' (as in personal family honour and tribal honour, which must be avenged) he was very interested in dealing with ISIS to the point of their eradication, but not before. Once it becomes personal, most of us would recognise that change of heart but particularly in the tribal Arab world. Our individualistic lives means that the kind of outrage about the killing of Alan Henning or other hostages would never be of the kind of that found in somewhere like Jordan. Of course, some would claim that this was exactly ISIS' intention, to lure Jordan into a full on confrontation. Whatever the case, ISIS 'was' coming for Jordan anyway one way or another, as it seeks to undo Sykes-Picot in its entirety, so the concept of defense without 'offense' is a luxury that understandably his father sought but was not realistic given the proximity of Syria and the fervour of ISIS, With Abdullah II at the helm, Jordan couldn't ask for a better commander in chief at this time for various reasons, as arjunadawn pointed out. ISIS may believe that murdering the hostage in that manner was laying fly paper , but it is also possibe that ISIS has carried out a fatal error.

• Like 2

Steely Dan, any extremist from any faith are not good for the society. that is for sure, be it Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Jain, or any religion you can think of. But I wonder if you are to be labbled for your idology or belief that " i want Islam to be removed from the Planet" as extremist or not??

No one likes Extremists, be it from any religion.

It seems the fundemental problem is "religion" itself! While it serves to dumb down the masses, its very precepts (you are the chosen people, you can be one of the 144,000 saved, all the others are deluded etc) pushes its followers into a sort of tunnel vision view of their world! Islam is based on what? One man's statements elaborated on by so-called wise men for 1400 years! It's not dissimilar to the nonsense of joseph smith who translated "something" while using a magic rock and talking into a top hat!!!!! What's the difference!

Both old and new religions offer their treasures to the believers after they're dead? Doesn't this sound like buying a" pig in a poke" to you? It does to me as well, and not only that, I get dudded for only 10% of my pay every week.....gosh! Aren't I lucky? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifgiggle.gifwai.gif