Pottery In Chiang Mai

Abrasol

Hi there,

We're potters and looking for other artists and handycrafters of the same branch, working in Chiang Mai , to meet or exchange experiences and more. Furthermore we are seeking for an "easy going" possibility to get some pots fired. We have no kiln yet and doing glaze tests for now. Actually, we have the possibility to fire allready with Thai people, but the kiln is a way too huge for those tests. So, most of the time we need to wait for too long, und it does reduction firing only...

We're proffessionals of the branch and will not bother too much with enoying questions :o

PS: fluently spoken languages: french, german, english and a few more dialects :D

T.i.a.

Edited by Abrasol

I've just checked the Foreign Business Act of 1999 and, if you're making money from your work, it looks like you're OK as long as it's original work and not knocking off traditional Thai styles. Not too long ago the law prohibited foreigners from doing pottery as a business in general.

Call me in 4 years or so and I might be able to solve your firing problem, but I prefer reduction for most work. I suppose with all the hulabaloo about erosion and flooding, wood isn't a good choice of fuel. What then? Gas tanks or piped gas? Or electricity.

Have you had any luck getting supplies of clay, glaze material, firebrick, cones, and silcon carbide shelving from local suppliers? What about wheels and electric kilns? Imported or supplied locally?

I've just checked the Foreign Business Act of 1999 and, if you're making money from your work, it looks like you're OK as long as it's original work and not knocking off traditional Thai styles.

I'm not doing any Thai Style, wife takes care of that part. :D

Call me in 4 years or so and I might be able to solve your firing problem, but I prefer reduction for most work.

Four years? You funny, aren't you? Well, I do RF as well but I'd like to occasionally do oxidation.

I suppose with all the hulabaloo about erosion and flooding, wood isn't a good choice of fuel. What then? Gas tanks or piped gas? Or electricity.

Well, traditionally Thais did and do Celadon in wood fired kilns. Near our place they do fire all kind of bricks with wood and charcoal. But they must fire around 800°C or so. I've seen annother place not far from here, where they fire low temp. pots, around 1000+ Our Thai friends use canned Propane gas, which is commonly used. Electric kilns are not locally made as far as I know. You can buy them at "import prices" in Chiang Mai or Lampang. Starting from 50.000 Baht the smallest.

Have you had any luck getting supplies of clay, glaze material, firebrick, cones, and silcon carbide shelving from local suppliers? What about wheels and electric kilns? Imported or supplied locally?

Clay is cheap and there is a lot of choice, even finest readdy to go slip for some 3 Baht a kilo. Glaze material (raw material) is mostly cheap, when locally available or from China, quite expensive if imported (example: Feldspars 15 Baht and Cobalt Oxide around 1500 Baht a Kilo) . Typical american (or UK) raw materials as Gerstley Borate, Cornwall Stone, Albany slip, are not available, Thais don't even know what it is. Firebricks are quite expensive, shelving material as well.... I'm about to have a electric "Thai-style" wheel built by a lokal "Chang" for a few thousand Baht.

Looks like if I may help you out better than you can for me :o

Edited by Abrasol

Like I said, another four years maybe. Good luck with your hobby. I'll think of you next time I'm trying to decide if I should use paper or plastic for dining. They're even making instant noodle bowls out of starch these days. I bet there's not a single potter that ever thought substitutes would get cheap enough to be called throw away items.

I bet there's not a single potter that ever thought substitutes would get cheap enough to be called throw away items.

In case there is no bit of cynicism from your side (I may be wrong about that), yes there is pottery in India (quite thin pots) used and may also be called throw away at some small food shops.

Thanks for all the help anyway :o

Based on your earlier reply, it doesn't sound like there's a one-stop-shopping vendor in Chiang Mai for ceramic supplies. Are there any images of your work that u can post here?

Indeed, there is no "real" ceramic supply vendor in Chiang Mai as far as I know. You need to pick items one by one. Many tools and stuff need to be ordered, or even handmade by different locals.

The raw material is found at local chemical supplieres (Nothern Chemicals at Super HW). I've been at a shop in Lampang, where cereamic industries are located.

Think your best bet is to try some of the factories in Lampang if you are doing the ceramic stuff. However I am sure you’ll find it hard to find a company that is willing to cooperate with you. In Chiang Mai you can try Ceramic Network on the CM-Lamphun Road in Sarapii (crap factory, lazy attitude and nobody in charge) If terracotta (they have kilns) CM Pottery In Hang Dong or Hang Dong Arts (have changed their name since) on the CM-Hang Dong Road might be worth a visit (nice people)

Think your best bet is to try some of the factories in Lampang if you are doing the ceramic stuff.

Ceramic stuff? What's that? Well I think that the factories in Lampang area may be Ok, for producing your "stuff" in huge series. That's what they're interested in. They don't do any test firing for anybody, as far as I know.

However I am sure you’ll find it hard to find a company that is willing to cooperate with you.

In fact we have had good experiences with cooperation, except one guy who wanted to cheat us. I don't agree with people who find it hard and difficult to cooperate with Thai handicrafters - I did so for many years and I love it.

In Chiang Mai you can try Ceramic Network on the CM-Lamphun Road in Sarapii (crap factory, lazy attitude and nobody in charge)

Yeah, that's the kind of comments I do here sometimes.... too easy to blame others, I bet....well people may think and experience what ever they want.

Never mind, we have enough good contacts with Thai people. In fact I was wandering if there are any farang potters in CM area, as the "small kiln" problem is as good as solved now.

Edited by Abrasol

With the exception of the paperclay photo gallery link on your website, it looks like the clay work you're doing is commercial--slip cast or molded. In fact, it sounds like you're working with the factories in Lampang for commercial mass production. Why do you want to hear from farang potters? Are you interested in learning how to throw or are you looking for unique designs you can mass produce in Lampang?

• 4 weeks later...

Loom, why so deeply sceptic and why those stereotypes?

With the exception of the paperclay photo gallery link on your website, it looks like the clay work you're doing is commercial--slip cast or molded. In fact, it sounds like you're working with the factories in Lampang for commercial mass production.

Indeed, most of what you can see at the website is casted, but it's our designs - and we also do the molds (well I am manufacuring them). The factories can't do the (bird)whistles either. They possibly could do the easy-ones, but not the ones from Mayan origins, which can't be executed by factory-crafters. I'd never tell them how to do either, it's a result of personal research!

Why do you want to hear from farang potters? Are you interested in learning how to throw or are you looking for unique designs you can mass produce in Lampang?

I don't need to learn to throw, as I learned it 25 years ago at one of Europe's best school in that field, at Geneva Art Deco. I'm not looking for any unique designs either, as I am designer myself!

We are interested to get in touch with people who share the same interests. Most people we generally meet are retired or for some other reason not interested that much in such fields and topics.

Got the plot so far?

Edited by Abrasol