Robbed In Sukhumvit

chandraM

I too have various expensive gold chains and rings that I never wear, we keep them stored in a strong box at the bank. Don`t want to be a victim waiting to happen.

Never understood why folk keep decorative gold locked up in the bank. I mean what's the point if you can't wear it? If you have gold as an investment, do sovereigns and ingots.

• Like 1

These katoeys are utter scum. It being so pervasive here is why the police don't really care... not that they would in the first place anyway unless a higher up put the wind up their jacksy or it were very easy or if something were in it for them. Pfftt!

But, yeah, the old crowd around the mark routine happens all over. Got done in Spain many moons ago: three guys showing you pics of football team as you're going from this bar to that, playful tackle etc; all very fast but too late when you realise your wallet's gone. Get down the cop-shop and he's like 'is it this one, this one, this one', etc, digging through a huge pile of wallets and purses. Barcelona is especially bad for pickpockets. Always walk La Rambla, the old town squares and main attractions with your hand over your pocket; and that goes for here too.

Thieves are the scum of the earth wherever they hail from. I am totally with the Saudis on their technique; have the bastards' hands off and then, along with not being able to perform their craft anymore, everyone knows what they are.

They've been there for at least 15 years that I know of.

Usually by the footbridge.

They usually roam looking for drunks - touch them up and whip out their wallets.

They have been around that area over the last 4+ years BUT they tend to go there and make a few scores, then I think they have a large rotation because they disappear for a long time, then return. Going there the following day usually won't work. They are also not there continuously.

Never wear a gold chain or any valuables that is visible, simple as that. It happens all the time, both in Bangkok and Pattaya.

let's be fair a stranger wearing expensive adornments is going to be fair game anywhere in the world not just Bangkok or Thailand.

the USA introduced mugging to the world

• Like 1

Never wear a gold chain or any valuables that is visible, simple as that. It happens all the time, both in Bangkok and Pattaya.

let's be fair a stranger wearing expensive adornments is going to be fair game anywhere in the world not just Bangkok or Thailand.

the USA introduced mugging to the world

They've been there for at least 15 years that I know of.

Usually by the footbridge.

They usually roam looking for drunks - touch them up and whip out their wallets.

They have been around that area over the last 4+ years BUT they tend to go there and make a few scores, then I think they have a large rotation because they disappear for a long time, then return. Going there the following day usually won't work. They are also not there continuously.

Agree with Pedro, the Katoey thieves have been there at least 15years. The police know who they are and there is CCTV. However, you have to pay the police an incentive to recover you valuables. I had a gold chain taken from me in a karaoke bar and I went back with my wife and a policeman who we paid B500 for his time. He threatened to close the bar and the owner made the girl go to her apartment and she brought my gold chain back with her.

• Like 1

Sorry for your mishap. While I dont know anything about you I would like to point out your defense takes place before you even walk out the door. It is a simple fact you were a crime of opportunity. They likely had not stalked you, your schedule, and set you up. Therefore it is reasonable to believe that there may be steps you can take to "harden" yourself. Soft targets exist in war and in crime. Hard targets are those which appear to be more trouble than it is worth. Whether, as another said, wearing visible wealth in gold and clothes, or the eye contact you make expressing vulnerability, or your gait- all conspire to transmit body language to others and they identify you as a "mark."

Don't be unaware, but dont make eye contact. Don't respond if asked a question. Don't have your way blocked, even temporarily, if the space between you and someone else is quickly closed, keep at arms length. I have no where suggested violence; this will always be a dangerous road. Your goal it to prevent violence or crime to yourself and family. Read up a bit on being a hard target, rather than a soft. It is all in deportment. If you cannot deport yourself as someone not to mess with, at least deport yourself as a question mark for opportunity crime. Good Luck.

• Like 1

Last week I was Walking hurriedly to Bumrungrad Hospital from Asok to See a friend's Son Who Just Came out of an operation, Around 8 in The Evening.

To OP (1st time poster), I'm sorry that this turned out to be very expensive long walk. That's a decent hike from Asoke to the hospital. If I was in hurry, I'd have jumped on the back of the motorcycle taxi.

• Like 1

I knew this guy years ago that before he would walk from Cowboy to Nana......he would buy a half dozen skewers of bbq from the street vendors.......then he would take the empty skewers, one between each knuckle in his fist......no katoey would come near him for fear of getting popped.

A long time Bangkokian!

Walking down a dark area with your gold necklace. Obviously they saw it so it must have been somewhat visible.

Hopefully you have learned something from this experience. Two people touching you. This is a diversionary tactic to keep your mind occupied on one thing while their doing something else. Sounds like because you were in a hurry you were not thinking or being as aware as you could have.

It's easy enough to set them up. If you went back and they are still there. Bring a friend and your camera. You can have your friend act like he's had to much to drink. Have him wear a fake gold necklace. Or you could just forget about the camera and fake gold and just bring your friend to kick their you know what.

Same thing happened to us 4 weeks ago and to friends 2 weeks ago, is this Thainess?

Are you sure your 2 assailants were definitely Thai? There are reports of many criminals of several nationalities operating here.

One of my mates has his pocket picked in Rome - by an Albanian gang (they were caught).

You are correct a lot of the Katoys around Nana are from the Phillipines.

Her hooters were on top of your head ?.......are you really really short ?

Good men pay good money for this...specially one behind as well.....

Yeah well, you want to pay for fake boobs attached to fake dames go have yourself a time! It don't make ya a bad person.

exactly same happened to me 4 months ago up by Terminal 21, didnt notice until next day in the shower, cant realy fault the police realy (waste if time reporting it) as if a had reported this to the U.K. police (if in the U.K.), all i would have been given is a crime number, and sod off don't waste our time, so basically, -- same same

I'm not surprised by the behavior of police .

The way I feel, if they really want to control crime and criminals they can do it anytime, but by doing so, their income will be a lot less.

I bet later that police contacted those ladyboys and took a share , usually it's like so I have heard

Funny --yet not actually-- OP, I was walking in a hurry right by that place around the same time as yourself. I saw a number of katoeys hanging out 'n tottering about on platforms and stilleto heels and somewhat boldly or even aggressively leering and sizing people up, my street smarts alarms, or what's left of them were saying red alert. I just veered towards the edge of the sidewalk and continued quicly, calmly and confidently. It isn't hard. Don't give them eye contact, don't respond to anything said and just keep walking and they will be instantly too bored to bother with you. For me, I rarely have a problem after years on Sukhumvit living there, being an adamant pedestrian who walks everywhere when possible, partying there as well. My worst problems in that area have only come from rampaging UK council estate yobbohs on holiday and Arabs on the piss. The West African guys sitting around on Sukhumvit and drinking are quite gentlemanly and nice to talk to by comparison, not to mention more interesting than the former two. That said, the katoeys should be the least of your problems down there, I would even rank the police as being worse and far more of a danger than them. But Lesson learned, right? Don't even look at them and just steer clear every and anytime and they will leave you alone. No need to be nervous at night even on Sukhumvit.

You want me to believe that your head was kept pushed into the bosoms of one perpetrator for 2 minutes?!

You must be very accommodating.

I would have extricated myself within 5 seconds max, and hauled @ss outta there.

Maybe he thought they were really offering SEX- so he played along............hahahaha.

They really are a problem .once i wanted to push one down the bts suk station stairs but figured i might end up in jail.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but why do some men want to wear anything round their neck?

Some even pay for it and even more connected to a leash...

• Like 1

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but why do some men want to wear anything round their neck?

Is that really such a mystery to you? It's not like you're right and they are wrong. Don't you know that everyone else isn't like you and can have different styles, tastes, desires, needs, etc.?