Where to visit in Thailand in May?

Danielo

Me and my girlfriend are planning to visit Thailand, arriving sometime around April 28 or so and staying for the first week of May.

We are stuck choosing between Krabi, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, or Phuket. We can't visit any other cities as we have some corporate deals and receive discounts on hotels in these destinations.
To be honest, we are getting away from the cold and are looking for a nice getaway to get some sun (a tan is important) and also for some spa treatments. I would like to get as many sun hours as possible - so which destination is most "sun secure" during the first week of May?
Thanks so much for the help!

May is the 2nd hottest month of the year, April being the hottest so sun won't be an issue. It is the beginning of the rainy season but the rains come and go pretty quickly. Do bring some high rated sun block as the sun is very direct in Thailand and you can get seriously sunburned is a very short period.

End of April into May is the height of the hot time in TH. Maybe some minor rain sprinkles but that only increases the humidity without notable cooling. Chiang Mai does not have beaches but hotel will have swim pool. Phuket is the big tourist destination, Krabi is a bit of a backwash, Hua Hin is good enough for the royals to have their time away from Bangkok. Per previous poster, bring plenty of sunblock SP50, put in your checked bag.

Statistically the North (Chiang Mai) can be become crazy hot, like 43 Celsius (110 F).

I would abstain from Chiang Mai at this time of year.

Always good to have a pool and a shady place to sit during the day (and hopefully a breeze from the sea) facepalm.gif

No walks, no runs, no work, looking forward to sundown tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

You guys are fantastic - thanks for the answers. We obviously don't want it to be excruciatingly hot like 42C.

It seems all destinations should be OK - but I'm curious as to which place you guys who are experienced in Thailand would say would be the best time? We are a young couple but not really looking to party - food, drinks, massages and just chilling and getting sun is the main purpose of the trip. A few days will be spent in BKK for the nightlife. We'd like something secluded, but also not for a straight on 10 days, so ideally there'd be some stuff to do in the city also.

We removed Chiang Mai from our list, so remaining contenders would be Krabi, Phuket and Hua Hin.

Edited by Danielo

Hua Hin is nice and you get a sea breeze. Plenty of hotels, restaurants, bars and it's not quite as in your face as other beach resorts. I've been to Hua Hin twice, in October 2010 and May 2014, there is also Khao Takiab not far away, which is called monkey mountain due to the friendly/cheeky monkeys that live there.

http://thetravellingphase.com/hua-hin-thailand/

http://thetravellingphase.com/monkey-mountain-hua-hin/

Edited by tribalfusion001

Danielo

U mentioned you get discounts on certain hotels so which hotels are they?

Phuket has it all

Crowded beaches and isolated beaches, shopping central world good food.

I always stay around at Layan and or Naiyang beach which are lovely clean and quiet.

email me on [email protected] if you need more info and do hire a car straight from the airport as its the best way to enjoy the island.

Cheers

• Like 1

Danielo

Phuket has it all

I always stay around at Layan and or Naiyang beach which are lovely clean and quiet.

email me on [email protected] if you need more info and do hire a car straight from the airport as its the best way to enjoy the island.

Cheers

The hotels I get deals at and that we are looking at are the following:

Krabi: Hotel Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort

Phuket: Pullman Phuket Arcadia (http://www.pullmanphuketarcadia.com), Radisson Phuket (http://www.radissonblu.com/resort-phuket/gallery)

Hua Hin: Veranda Hua Hin http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-8153-veranda-resort-and-spa-hua-hin-cha-am-mgallery-collection/room.shtml - frankly this one is the one that looks worst.

You guys are fantastic - thanks for the answers. We obviously don't want it to be excruciatingly hot like 42C.

It seems all destinations should be OK - but I'm curious as to which place you guys who are experienced in Thailand would say would be the best time? We are a young couple but not really looking to party - food, drinks, massages and just chilling and getting sun is the main purpose of the trip. A few days will be spent in BKK for the nightlife. We'd like something secluded, but also not for a straight on 10 days, so ideally there'd be some stuff to do in the city also.

We removed Chiang Mai from our list, so remaining contenders would be Krabi, Phuket and Hua Hin.

Krabi by a country mile.

Danielo

Phuket has it all

Cheers

The hotels I get deals at and that we are looking at are the following:

Krabi: Hotel Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort

Phuket: Pullman Phuket Arcadia (http://www.pullmanphuketarcadia.com), Radisson Phuket (http://www.radissonblu.com/resort-phuket/gallery)

Hua Hin: Veranda Hua Hin http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-8153-veranda-resort-and-spa-hua-hin-cha-am-mgallery-collection/room.shtml - frankly this one is the one that looks worst.

I would pick different hotels. The one in Hua Hin is not there but in Cha Am which is a smaller place with hardly anything to do.

The 2 in Phuket are on remote beaches very far from the nightlife an other things to do.

Can't tell you anything about Krabi.

Would go to Phuket myself but pick another hotel on an other beach. Patong, Kata or Karon

Statistically the North (Chiang Mai) can be become crazy hot, like 43 Celsius (110 F).

I would abstain from Chiang Mai at this time of year.

Always good to have a pool and a shady place to sit during the day (and hopefully a breeze from the sea) facepalm.gif

No walks, no runs, no work, looking forward to sundown tongue.png

What nonsense. The average high temperature in May at the Chiang Mai (Airport Station) is 34C/93.2F. Why would you exaggerate documented weather data? Also, where are you going to pick up a "breeze from the sea" in Chiang Mai? Your father was a hampster and your mother smells of elderberries.

Your user name says it all.

Almost every year top temperatures in the North and Northeast exceed 40 C.

I don't even need a statistics (without naming the source as you do).

Last year was not that hot, but who knows whats coming this year.

Useful numbers until 2012.

Max. temp. in Chiang Mai in May 42.7.

http://www.tmd.go.th/programs/uploads/tempstat/max_stat_latest_en.pdf

Further north up to 44.

Your silly remark about sea in Chiang Mai is not worth commenting.

One more for the ignore list.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Krabi has got a very high muslim population, they didn't even sell beer at the shop next door to my hotel because they were devout muslim, not so many places where you can pop for a beer because mainly restaurants although there is a great beach but I found Krabi very expensive.

Hua hin has a terrible beach so you have to travel about 15 minutes down the road where there is a better beach, lots of bars and restaurants and a lot of people of the older generation.

Phuket is probably your best option imo, try kata beach about 15 minutes drive from patong, very beautiful, lots of bars places to eat and things to do in Phuket

http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/

The above blog is one of the most knowledgeable and accurate resources on Thailands beaches and islands out there.

As you have probably discerned; there are members of this forum who are passionate about their prejudices, thus there is no locale in Thailand that will escape the label of "sh*thole" by one of these all-knowing sages at some point.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

No doubt you should go to Chiang Mai - Temperature will be around 32-35 degree Celsius, almost same same as the other Places mentioned. I live in CM with my wife and its a great place with lots of things to see.

I have been to Phuket and unless you like to get scammed in countless ways then stay away ...

Krabi is just boring and if you want a decent Beach you have to sail to them which will get anoying eventually.

Never been to Hua Hin.

Chiang Mai is the place to go and everything is a lot cheaper here !

You have to decide between being on the beach or not. That could narrow your choices down a bit. As others have said, it will be bloody hot. Walking about will be miserable and sweaty. If it were me, I'd opt for something near the beach that would at least have some cooler breezes. The sea tends to moderate the temps a bit. Inland gets more extreme, as in any other country around the world.

Those resorts in Phuket look fantastic. Not centrally located, more of a destination resorts. But still not that far away from the craziness and the touristy areas. The beach there is really nice. As others have said, you'll be roasting in the sun. Don't think you'll last that long and you'll definitely have to be coverd with SPF 50 or more. The sun here is brutal.

I like Cha Am and Hua Hin, but the beaches are not that nice. The best beaches will be on Phuket. Next would be Krabi. Not as much to do there, but still a great destination. Some cool islands off the beach there that make nice day trips. Can also access them from Phuket.

If you have an extra room at any of these resorts, let me know! tongue.png

As you probably already know, these resorts charge big money for meals and drinks. Eating onsite will not be cheap, but there should be nice places nearby for a cheap meal. Have fun!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Tezza's site is fantastic.

May I suggest Koh Samet if you want seclusion and relax.

Snorkelling good food nics beachers and relatively cheap. Also just a 3 hour van ride with a boat trip to the island fromBKK

If.ever i've seen an island totally ruined by thoughtless uncontrolled tourism it's koh samet. Shame was probably very pretty at one time.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am planing to come to Thailand next month for about 3 weeks.I will arrive in Bangkok from Dublin and would like to see as much of the country as I can in that time.I would like to spend few days in Bangkok,and then maybe go to Phuket or somewhere see beaches,and then I going to go to Chaiyaphum to meet lady there.Would also like to see Chang main as told this is second largest city there and very nice.

Any information on where to stay in Bangkok and what to see would be welcomed .Also where should I go to beach ares Phuket or where would you advise and where to stay.

This be my first time to go anywhere in Asia,.

Plenty to see and do in Bangkok. Plenty of temples along the Chao Praya river, Wat Arun and Wat Pho are very good, plus nearby is the Grand Palace and Wat Kaew. There are naughty areas of Soi Cowboy, Soi 4 Nana, Patpong in Silom and Soi 22.

I covered Wat Arun and Wat Pho on my blog, plus the Moon Bar - roof top bar/restaurant. http://thetravellingphase.com/category/thailand/bangkok/

I am planing to come to Thailand next month for about 3 weeks.I will arrive in Bangkok from Dublin and would like to see as much of the country as I can in that time.I would like to spend few days in Bangkok,and then maybe go to Phuket or somewhere see beaches,and then I going to go to Chaiyaphum to meet lady there.Would also like to see Chang main as told this is second largest city there and very nice.

Any information on where to stay in Bangkok and what to see would be welcomed .Also where should I go to beach ares Phuket or where would you advise and where to stay.

This be my first time to go anywhere in Asia,.

Plenty to see and do in Bangkok. Plenty of temples along the Chao Praya river, Wat Arun and Wat Pho are very good, plus nearby is the Grand Palace and Wat Kaew. There are naughty areas of Soi Cowboy, Soi 4 Nana, Patpong in Silom and Soi 22.

I covered Wat Arun and Wat Pho on my blog, plus the Moon Bar - roof top bar/restaurant. http://thetravellingphase.com/category/thailand/bangkok/