TAT ready to hold Chinese New Year celebrations at 12 tourist destinations

webfact

TAT ready to hold Chinese New Year celebrations at 12 tourist destinations

IMGP1801-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The upcoming Chinese New Year will see grand celebrations in 12 major cities in Thailand to be held by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) to promote tourism during the long holiday.

TAT said in Bangkok a grand opening ceremony of the Chinese New Year celebrations will take place at China Town, Yaowarat.

It expected the celebrations at 12 places nationwide of the Chinese New Year will attract more than 670,000 Thai and foreign tourists from February 18-24.

he event is hoped to generate 716 million baht.

Other places to hold the celebrations are Phuket, Nakhon Ratchasima, Ratchaburi, Phetchaburi, Trang, Suphan Buri, Nakhon Sawan, Songkhla’s Hat Yai district, Ayutthaya, Pattaya and Chiang Mai.

The TAT has projected that 530,000 tourists will travel Thailand in February this year with tourism revenue of 22.9 billion baht.

More than five million Chinese tourists are expected to visit Thailand this month, generating around 210 billion baht, it said.

(Photo : ThaiPBS file)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tat-ready-hold-chinese-new-year-celebrations-12-tourist-destinations

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-06

TAT expects tourism windfall during Chinese New Year

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand is counting on 530,000 Chinese visitors bringing in Bt22.9 billion into the local economy during Chinese New Year.

During the 10-day-long celebration, Chinese arrivals would surge by 47 per cent to 530,000 and revenue from them by 49 per cent to Bt22.9 billion.

Spending per person per trip is expected to rise by 6 per cent to Bt22,600.

About 890 charter flights are scheduled to touch down at Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai and Krabi.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/TAT-expects-tourism-windfall-during-Chinese-New-Ye-30253484.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-06

TAT expects tourism windfall during Chinese New Year

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand is counting on 530,000 Chinese visitors bringing in Bt22.9 billion into the local economy during Chinese New Year.

During the 10-day-long celebration, Chinese arrivals would surge by 47 per cent to 530,000 and revenue from them by 49 per cent to Bt22.9 billion.

Spending per person per trip is expected to rise by 6 per cent to Bt22,600.

About 890 charter flights are scheduled to touch down at Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai and Krabi.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/TAT-expects-tourism-windfall-during-Chinese-New-Ye-30253484.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-02-06

Now compare the first article and see the difference. They expect 5 mil to come this month. They really do make it hard to believe there figures. And when they don't get their hopes for so many they can blame that 1 pipe bomb in bangkok for scaring the tourists away heheee
  • Like 1

No one mentioned that most Chinese travel with a tour group and spend very little money.

I would like to know how I can travel with a tour group and spend very little money.

From what I understand, a tourist with a tour group will still have to spend money on food, accommodation and transfers. They might not pay it directly to the end supplier (as in the case of an individual traveller) but still the end supplier eventually gets the money from the tour operator concerned.

• Like 1

So 5m Chinese tourists expected this month, generating 210 billion Baht and just for CNY 530k generating 22.9 billion in revenue.

Seems like 10% of the normal Chinese tourists generate as much revenue as the 530,000 who come specially for New Year.

From what I've seen the Thai-Chinese community do a good job celebrating the New Year and don't need any help especially from TAT.

In fact they'd be well advised to keep TAT as far away from things as possible.

My idea exactly, I'vs spend Chinese newyears alreadey more than 20 years in the same town, unbelievable atmosphere, not a westerner in sight. every eveninhg tenthousants ofpeople on the streets, In all those years I did not even see one fight or drunk people. Only happe people. The night and the following day of the big parade is just inimageble. This town also don't need tourisme.

I can only hope TAT and travelguides like Trotter or Lonely planet never write about this every, because than it will be ruined like many other nic events, towns, villages and beaches.

• Like 1

From what I've seen the Thai-Chinese community do a good job celebrating the New Year and don't need any help especially from TAT.

In fact they'd be well advised to keep TAT as far away from things as possible.

My idea exactly, I'vs spend Chinese newyears alreadey more than 20 years in the same town, unbelievable atmosphere, not a westerner in sight. every eveninhg tenthousants ofpeople on the streets, In all those years I did not even see one fight or drunk people. Only happe people. The night and the following day of the big parade is just inimageble. This town also don't need tourisme.

I can only hope TAT and travelguides like Trotter or Lonely planet never write about this every, because than it will be ruined like many other nic events, towns, villages and beaches.

Spot on.

Mass tourism is a disaster... whatever money it brings in doesn't compensate for the problems it causes.

• Like 1