Bangkok to have new quality park and bike lane by the river

webfact

Bangkok to have new quality park and bike lane by the river

6-2-2558-13-08-41-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok will have a new 1.2 kilometre long riverside recreational park for jogging, biking, and other activities if the Bangkok Metropolitan Adminstration (BMA) endorses the Yannawa Riverfront project proposed by the Urban Design and Development Centre (UDDC) of Chulalongkorn University.

The project was tabled at a public forum to hear opinions from all relevant agencies and the people on Thursday. Bangkok governor MR Sukhumbhan Paribatra presided over the public forum held at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside Hotel on New Road.

The event was hosted by the UDDC and the Office of the Thai Health Promotion in their bid to improve the vast areas along the Chao Phraya river in Yannawa district, the location of the Bangkok Fishery Pier which has been left undeveloped and unused for a long time.

The project to develop the areas to recreational park came from ideas to annex this undeveloped land by the river and public land with the flood prevention scheme stretching 1.2 kilometre long to accommodate recreational activities, such as jogging, biking and other physical exercises.

If the project comes to reality, Bangkok will have more public park to relax, high quality bike lanes for exercise, and other activities.

Besides it will become a new tourist attraction with riverside sceneries.

A budget of around 600 million baht is needed

Chief of the centre’s urban planning section of the Architect Faculty of Chulalongkorn University deputy professor Khaisri Paksukcharoen said he expected the project would win approval at the forum.

He said it is a huge project which several state and private agencies have discussed jointly for over three years.

He said the park stretches from Taksin bridge to Wat Yannawa, Wat Suthivanaram, the Fishery Organisation, Bangkok Dockyard, and private property.

He said that there was no need for land expropriation, no land ownership dispute as all sides will benefit from the project.

After the public hearing, he said it would he proposed to the BMA for budget approval.

If the BMA rejects budget to support the project, he said this will be proposed to the National Council for Peace and Order which has earlier announced policy to increase more bike lanes and parks in the capital.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-new-quality-park-bike-lane-river

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-02-06

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok will have a new 1.2 kilometre long riverside recreational park for jogging, biking, motorbike racing and other activities if the Bangkok Metropolitan Adminstration (BMA) endorses the Yannawa Riverfront project proposed by the Urban Design and Development Centre (UDDC) of Chulalongkorn University.

coffee1.gif

Does anybody have any idea what the picture at the top of the article is all about?

I think it should say retail park as I have done a bit of googling and sadly (predictably?) UDDCs idea of a riverside park seems to be a riverside cycleway backed by the usual malls, condos, beauty centres, gyms, carparks, etc. Someone show me I am wrong, as I would very much like to be.

Does anybody have any idea what the picture at the top of the article is all about?

I think it should say retail park as I have done a bit of googling and sadly (predictably?) UDDCs idea of a riverside park seems to be a riverside cycleway backed by the usual malls, condos, beauty centres, gyms, carparks, etc. Someone show me I am wrong, as I would very much like to be.

Thanks for that. I have to sadly admit that your explanation does seem to be the most plausible.

Yes, where I live the local town council decided to make the beach road a "walking street". Unfortunately the definition of a walking street seem to be as far apart from my understanding as the buttock cheeks of Mr. "Third Gender in Thailand".