Medical insurance for retired ex pat over 70 in Thailand.

oldbill

Most hospital insurance (rarely any out-patient coverage) available in Thailand for 70 year old foreigners would require that you initiated coverage before 50 or 55 and not let the policy lapse once you exceed those limits. Even then it would be very pricey.

And even for a company like BUPA, travel-medical insurance excludes people over 70.

• We do not cover medical expenses for children under 1 month and persons over 70 years of age

http://www.bupa.co.th/en/individuals/travel-insurance/

• Like 1

You won't get insurance over 70 in Thailand except at a ridiculous premium. The best thing to do is take out travel insurance before you come here. I always find it pretty cheap. And they will ensure you up till 85.

90 days will at least be better than nothing. But I do believe there are some travel insurances that will ensure you for six months just look around

Most hospital insurance (rarely any out-patient coverage) available in Thailand for 70 year old foreigners would require that you initiated coverage before 50 or 55 and not let the policy lapse once you exceed those limits. Even then it would be very pricey.

And even for a company like BUPA, travel-medical insurance excludes people over 70.

• We do not cover medical expenses for children under 1 month and persons over 70 years of age

http://www.bupa.co.th/en/individuals/travel-insurance/

There are several medical insurance policies (both In Patient and Out Patient) available in Thailand for persons over 70 but agree the premiums increase as the risks are obviously very high.

As mentioned earlier Travel cover for up to 180 days available from several companies.

Either PM me direct or go HERE for a quote.

New insurance cover for the over 70's not available in Thailand, I tried to get cover and I worked in insurance in Thailand for many years. A Danish company will offer world wide cover at about 500 USD per month???

• Like 1

Assuming you can get it, medical insurance for anyone over 70 in Thailand is ruinously expensive. I prefer to pay for private health insurance

( $160/month ) in Australia. My medical insurance in Thailand consists of a Thai bank account ( not the 800K required for a retirement visa ) with a balance of 500K baht. That, and driving very defensively.

If you are retired, travel insurance is a waste of money. So $200 worth of luggage gets lost, or you have to wait another day because a flight is cancelled - what's the big deal?

• Like 2

New insurance cover for the over 70's not available in Thailand, I tried to get cover and I worked in insurance in Thailand for many years. A Danish company will offer world wide cover at about 500 USD per month???

Then you should check out Pattaya Expats club. I pay 29,000 baht per year for reasonable cover.

Assuming you can get it, medical insurance for anyone over 70 in Thailand is ruinously expensive. I prefer to pay for private health insurance

( $160/month ) in Australia. My medical insurance in Thailand consists of a Thai bank account ( not the 800K required for a retirement visa ) with a balance of 500K baht. That, and driving very defensively.

If you are retired, travel insurance is a waste of money. So $200 worth of luggage gets lost, or you have to wait another day because a flight is cancelled - what's the big deal?

we are Talking about medical insurance not baggage insurance. At over 70 you be stupid to travel without medical insurance

I heard the Thai Gvt., may be considering the re-introduction of the Ferang Health Insurance Scheme that ran for just one year.

Considering how much the Ferang pump into the Thai Economy each week, it would be a nice gesture on behalf of the Government to help keep us alive and contributing. Fingers Crossed!

• Like 2

You can get accident insurance from AIA and other Thai carriers. AIA is about B5,200 per year; not sure if six months is available. Cap on hospital is B100,000.

If you have serious health issues, you can see doctors in Thailand very inexpensively, especially outside of BKK. The teaching hospital at Chiang Mai is first rate.

Most Thai health insurance companies do not insure ANYONE over 70. Cigna might, but their pre-existing condition rules make it joke.

So:

Get accident insurance

If you get medications at steep discount from home country, get a six month supply or have them sent to you from your pharmacy, or get them in Thailand

If you have serious problem, go home for treatment.

Dear OldBill

I am 72, retired half-time to Chiang Mai, and I faced the same problem. I solved it by buying online DAN travel insurance. I was already a DAN member (an association of scuba divers). For $750 dollars I got a one-year policy that covers me out of the U.S. or 200 miles from my home city inside the U.S. Dan Travel Insurance is new. It is very generous. I used to use Medex but, after 70, they don't cover much, the price went up and the 90-day limit applied.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Travel insurance ! Wants wrong with you turkeys, you forget where you are, the country is under marshal law,read your policies everyone there is not an insurance company that will cover you, Online they have been bombarding me to buy expat insurance why, they have the same clause.so before offering advice, i would go and check the fine print on your policies.

Bupa Thailand Sunshine Plan is an option (...up to and inclusive of the age of 70 years...):

http://bupa.co.th/en/individuals/health-insurance/individual/detail.aspx?iid=5#.VNX02PmG_Tp

BUPA Thailand will only insure if you apply before age 65. Age 59 - 64 will insure to age 69.

Not according to Bupa's web-page for the special "Sunshine Plan":

»Members must be over the age of 18 years and may apply up to and inclusive of the age of 70 years only.«

(sic.)