Breaking free from the Shinawatras

Lite Beer

elite (as a noun) -

the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons,

persons of the highest class

elite (as an adjective) -

representing the most choice or select; best

The Shinawatras are definitely not "elites".

• Like 2

Under the democratic government opponents were allowed to demonstrate and voice their opinions. Under the military regime all opposition is silenced. The article above does not deal with this basic issue, nor does it look at the inherent corruption such as the military budget.

The article is about other things, like breaking free from the Shinawatras.

So what you are saying rubi is that you are treating articles like this as your therapy?

How many more do you need.

Didn't the General say the country has to move on? Then why is the same ad being run?whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

What I'm saying is "The article is about other things, like breaking free from the Shinawatras."

It's not about but, but ,but what about the others.

Articles like this are feeding your addiction Rubi.

It offers readers nothing new, but a feeding of resentment in the minority elite class of Bangkok society.

The manic said 'the heart of corruption is entrenched'; going one step further this article does not delve into the double standards accepted by the elite ruling class in the running of the country.

Isn't breaking free supposed to mean levels of corruption and interference in Government and the Judiciary? So you can honestly say that these areas have been patched up? Or on the road to recovery?

I would suggest a 12 step meeting if your urges against the Shinawatras can't be controlled. I am sure there are a few other TV members that would attend?

Just keep letting it out son, you will eventually rid this monkey from your back. Keep coming back.

• Like 1

The Shins were nothing in the corruption league stakes. The heart of corruption is entrenched

Yet they managed to have three family-members elected as P.M., within a decade, remarkable evidence that they're not "nothing in the corruption stakes" IMO, politics here is a dirty game. wink.png

Of course corruption didn't start with the Shins, but they're certainly not part of the solution, except in the eyes of their lawyers/P.R.-experts/syncophants.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How about a "Breaking Free of the Kingdoms Autocratic Elite" Thread

I keep hearing about this "elite", but nobody seems to know who they are. I have requested many posters who like to mention them to tell me who they actually are, to name them, but nothing. Even just one name and I would be happy. alt=whistling.gif>

In General, Suthep and the PDRC backers, The Military Higher echelons and the others I cannot say for fear of breaking the law, Its not something to be smart arsed over, its true , Thailand will never truly be democratic while these people apply a strangle hold every time their control is threatened

"The "elite" are somebody to hate, Thailand's equivalent to Europe's Jews, somebody who is perceived (and it is not necessarily true) to have a better lifestyle or education, more money or success."

Lord, what medication are you on?

• Like 1

So what you are saying rubi is that you are treating articles like this as your therapy?

Didn't the General say the country has to move on? Then why is the same ad being run?whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

What I'm saying is "The article is about other things, like breaking free from the Shinawatras."

It offers readers nothing new, but a feeding of resentment in the minority elite class of Bangkok society.

The manic said 'the heart of corruption is entrenched'; going one step further this article does not delve into the double standards accepted by the elite ruling class in the running of the country.

Isn't breaking free supposed to mean levels of corruption and interference in Government and the Judiciary? So you can honestly say that these areas have been patched up? Or on the road to recovery?

I would suggest a 12 step meeting if your urges against the Shinawatras can't be controlled. I am sure there are a few other TV members that would attend?

Just keep letting it out son, you will eventually rid this monkey from your back. Keep coming back.

The article is also not about many other things. Just like many other articles it is fairly limited in topic and scope.

Is that your main complaint? You'd rather have a completely different article, different scope? You're not interested in breaking away from the Shinawatras?

• Like 2

The Shinawatra's deserve all the crap that is being heeped upon them - they are corrupt and immoral to the core. That being said - sure would be great to find some leaders in the country who were not....

I like Chuwit - at least he is honest about his lowlife background and about the pervasive corruption that taints every corner of Thai society.

• Like 1

The Shinawatra's deserve all the crap that is being heeped upon them - they are corrupt and immoral to the core. That being said - sure would be great to find some leaders in the country who were not....

I like Chuwit - at least he is honest about his lowlife background and about the pervasive corruption that taints every corner of Thai society.

Yes, he knows.

Reminds me of the song "House of the Rising Sun". The ruin of many'er poor boy, I know, I'm one

"he launched a variety of policies in favor of the masses. In fact, according to the pole survey by ABAC, these policies attracted a great deal of support from the people: 84% for OTOP, 81% for the 30-baht medical services, and 79% for village funds scheme in contrast to 39% for anti-corruption campaign and 35% for restructuring of state enterprises (Tamada 2005, 182–183)."

Snerk snerk. OTOP ultimately stripped the members of their competitive ability and drove the prices of the products down benefiting the wholesale buyers. 30 baht medical was a purely populist scam that was future bankrupt and unsustainable from inception as there was no long term funding established behind it The village funding scheme ultimately drove the poor deeper into debt as they resorted to the illegal money lenders to pay off their village fund debts. Debt and money management counseling was non existent and nearly all of the windfall village funds went to purchasing luxury items or to make down payments. (The village funding scheme's most commonly purchased goods: cell phones followed by motorcycle down payments)

Those policies ran hand in hand with the worst inflation Thailand has ever experienced with the prices of basic commodities doubling in 6 years. Examples. Year 2000, Sugar, 13 baht/kilo. Diesel. 14 baht/liter etc etc etc

Edited by The Snark
  • Like 1

The "elite" are somebody to hate, Thailand's equivalent to Europe's Jews, somebody who is perceived (and it is not necessarily true) to have a better lifestyle or education, more money or success. They are someone to blame other than yourself because your life is shit. And that is easier to swallow than admitting that your choices are what makes your life shit, especially when some agitator is handing out money for booze to wash it down with.

Nice diatribe.

No one minds wealthy people, no one likes when the country is run exclusively to their benefit. The Thai elite has to give a little or it will be in bigger trouble later on.

'No one minds wealthy people, no one likes when the country is run exclusively to their benefit.'

That's why we had a coup.

The article is also not about many other things. Just like many other articles it is fairly limited in topic and scope.

Is that your main complaint? You'd rather have a completely different article, different scope? You're not interested in breaking away from the Shinawatras?

Same old same old, Rubi.

I have broken away. But has the new crop of politicians turned the corner?

I don't need to hear this type of gibberish in perpetuity. Aren't you hanging out for some better reporting? This type of tabloid journalism only feeds an out of step public that is in step with the propaganda that is being dished out. Gough Whitlam coined the phrase 'Maintain the rage', and unfortunately this type of article is only feeding this.

It’s a bit like an addict needing their next hit to maintain some normality. And an addict is always in denial. Be careful Rubi, but I did work in rehabilitation services and can recommend some good rehabs to deal with this type of denial.

Same old same old, Rubi.

I don't need to hear this type of gibberish in perpetuity. Aren't you hanging out for some better reporting? This type of tabloid journalism only feeds an out of step public that is in step with the propaganda that is being dished out. Gough Whitlam coined the phrase 'Maintain the rage', and unfortunately this type of article is only feeding this.

It’s a bit like an addict needing their next hit to maintain some normality. And an addict is always in denial. Be careful Rubi, but I did work in rehabilitation services and can recommend some good rehabs to deal with this type of denial.

Look in the mirror and go to one of those rehabs to deal with your denial, I would recommend.

BTW 'rehab services' for people who you accuse of trying not to read the 'right' information? May I suggest you contact the NCPO, they may be interested in your skills for their 'attitude adjustment' program. Allegedly that is.

• Like 1

"The "elite" are somebody to hate, Thailand's equivalent to Europe's Jews, somebody who is perceived (and it is not necessarily true) to have a better lifestyle or education, more money or success."

Lord, what medication are you on?

1/ No claim to nobility TYVM

2/ Chang Classic

3/ Truncating my post is a forum no-no. Don't do it.

4/ Try reading a little philosophy. If you want to keep the peasants quiet, give them religion and promise better after they're dead. If you want to stir them up, give them someone to hate.

Give them someone to hate... They tried that but he still comes back. Me think their strategy is not working.

Interesting post though coming from the one who sided with the people stirring the trouble.

Same old same old, Rubi.

Look in the mirror and go to one of those rehabs to deal with your denial, I would recommend.

BTW 'rehab services' for people who you accuse of trying not to read the 'right' information? May I suggest you contact the NCPO, they may be interested in your skills for their 'attitude adjustment' program. Allegedly that is.

Your thin skinned and very touchy, Rubi.

I never said anything about you not reading the right information; it’s about the information being perpetual.

Don't you get sick of it?

But if that is the news that rocks your boat, son, you keep reading it.

The power and the money is all the Shinawatra's crave, now their down and out Thailand can vote in politician's that work to help the people not use and abuse their position to benefit their own family. Yes, they are not the first to abuse their position as PM, but hopefully they are the last. As for the coup and governance of Prayut, I am becoming frustrated that reform is progressing slowly, but at least it is transparent and non corrupt. The only worry is the impeachment of other MP's could be unfair to opposition parties in the next election. Hopefully the NRC can forgive and forget this as the main culprit Yingluck impeachment has been enough a punishment to the Puea Thai party.

I don't know. The politicians that used others cards to vote and politicians that allowed their cards to be used should face some sort of additional punishment to make sure it does not happen in the future.

"Articles like this are feeding your addiction Rubi.

Just keep letting it out son, you will eventually rid this monkey from your back. Keep coming back."

To be balanced perhaps you would like to talk to the suddenly increasing numbers of posters who make no constructive comments, just addicted to twisting and spinning everything into negative and more negative, and often less than truthful.

Same old same old, Rubi.

I never said anything about you not reading the right information; it’s about the information being perpetual.

Ah, you mean you'd rather have different type of information. You'd rather have some information you see as giving balance to the right side.

BTW thin skinned and touchy? For suggesting you look in the mirror? Well, if that rocks your boat, so be it.

In the mean time I'm still wondering about grass root groups who via the UDD have Thaksin as de-facto leader. Someone is to teach them that trying to get away from 'elite' by binding yourself to other elite doesn't really help much.

• Like 2

Consider also what you must look like as I have no idea, I can't see you only can read your posts. Have you hacked our I.P addresses Snark? Are you watching us through our webcams?

Rather than suspecting a 'wag' or troll, I will just assume idiom challenged, okay? Since it is a three syllable word I'll help you out:

'A phrase or fixed expression that has a figurative, or sometimes literal, meaning. An idiom's figurative meaning is separate from the literal meaning.'

As for the complex four syllable 'figurative': not literal, metaphorical in meaning. Then that horrendous five syllable word, metaphorical, A metaphor is a figure of speech that identifies one thing as being the same as some unrelated other thing, for rhetorical effect,

Metaphor: from Greek metaphora "a transfer," especially of the sense of one word to a different word, literally "a carrying over," from metapherein "transfer, carry over; change, alter.

I hope I didn't lose you there.

Edited by The Snark

"The red-shirt uprising in 2010 came weeks after a court ruled that billions of baht of the family's assets should be seized"

I think this sums it all up. Red-shirts and the poor have been manipulated by Thaksin purely for his own benefit and even now they refuse to see it because he has managed to plant a huge chip on each shoulder against everyone else.

One day they will wake up and realise that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Maybe on that day a leader will be found who can actually stand up for them in politics in a civilised manner and begin the democratic process of lifting so many out of poverty while a few are so very, very rich.

Not holding my breath though : even if it started now, it would be many years before the corner could be turned. Sadly in Thailand a visionary is someone who can think ahead to next week.

Thailand is still waiting for it's Lee Kuan Yew to appear. May it be soon for the salvation of the country!!!!

• Like 1

Ah, you mean you'd rather have different type of information. You'd rather have some information you see as giving balance to the right side.

BTW thin skinned and touchy? For suggesting you look in the mirror? Well, if that rocks your boat, so be it.

In the mean time I'm still wondering about grass root groups who via the UDD have Thaksin as de-facto leader. Someone is to teach them that trying to get away from 'elite' by binding yourself to other elite doesn't really help much.

Yup! There is the Bangkok Amart and the Chang mai Amart. Ditto royalty. Oops! Did I just say that? Out loud?

Edited by The Deerhunter

"The red-shirt uprising in 2010 came weeks after a court ruled that billions of baht of the family's assets should be seized"

I think this sums it all up. Red-shirts and the poor have been manipulated by Thaksin purely for his own benefit and even now they refuse to see it because he has managed to plant a huge chip on each shoulder against everyone else.

One day they will wake up and realise that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Maybe on that day a leader will be found who can actually stand up for them in politics in a civilised manner and begin the democratic process of lifting so many out of poverty while a few are so very, very rich.

Not holding my breath though : even if it started now, it would be many years before the corner could be turned. Sadly in Thailand a visionary is someone who can think ahead to next week.

Thailand is still waiting for it's Lee Kuan Yew to appear. May it be soon for the salvation of the country!!!!

Lee Kuan Yew was a statesman with extraordinary vision. Singapore today is the result of that vision. He certainly ran the place with an iron fist, but with that farsighted goal ever in mind. Thailand's vision is sadly limited, placing self interests first for the most part. With this lack of foresight Thailand will remain a 3rd world country, manipulated from outside by business interests as well as from within.

I personally commend Yew's legacy. When I was in Singapore they tore down a large high rise that failed to meet various regulations and put in a park: End of discussion, that land now belongs to the people and is there for the enrichment of their lives! Sentosa is a product of his effort. He wrested it from gambling dens and offshore shenanigans and made it something that everyone could enjoy. Let's see that kind of people first decision making here.

Edited by The Snark
  • Like 1

The "elite" are somebody to hate, Thailand's equivalent to Europe's Jews, somebody who is perceived (and it is not necessarily true) to have a better lifestyle or education, more money or success. They are someone to blame other than yourself because your life is shit. And that is easier to swallow than admitting that your choices are what makes your life shit, especially when some agitator is handing out money for booze to wash it down with.

Nice diatribe.

No one minds wealthy people, no one likes when the country is run exclusively to their benefit. The Thai elite has to give a little or it will be in bigger trouble later on.

'No one minds wealthy people, no one likes when the country is run exclusively to their benefit.'

That's why we had a coup.

There's no doubt that we are seeing a battle betweeen the old entrenched elites and the rest of the people of Thailand.The interesting aspect is why the largely Sino Thai urban middle class has taken the side of the dinosaurs.This has much to do with culture and history.The eminent scholar Benedict Anderson writes:

"There is no doubt that the 19th century effloration of so many great novelists, painters, poets, playwrights, architects, social thinkers, and philosophers came out of the rise of middle classes to cultural dominance. The contrast with Siam could not be more striking. So far as I know, Bangkok has yet to give birth to a great novelist, poet, playwright, philosopher, architect, or social thinker. It is Kongkhaen, not Bangkok, that gave birth to Apichatpong Weerasetakul who, barely in his 40s, is internationally regarded as among the very top of world cinema directors, and this year won the Palme d’Or at Cannes. You might have expected that an artist of this calibre would be the object of immense pride by a bourgeoisie always anxious to show its international credentials. But no, the bourgeoisie continues passively to swallow up Hollywood junk, repetitive Chinese martial arts junk, imported videogames and trashy soaps. Middle class Bangkok, if one reads the advertisements, is interested only in good food, fashions from abroad, expensive resorts, and shopping trips in East Asia and Europe. It is really hard to find a beautiful public building in the Thai capital, and there is no Thai temple that can beat Wat Xian Thong in Luang Prabang. The shameful hubbub about Preah Wihan is one way of covering up what should be obvious to anyone, i.e. that there are no Thai-thai buildings than can compare with Cambodia’s Angkor, Java’s Borobudur, or Burma’s Pukan. One can suspect that Bangkok has a hidden inferiority complex in this regard. Two minutes at Preah Wihan tells anyone with brains that this gorgeous building is Khmer not Thai, so some Thais can’t bear this, so it has to be ‘ours.’

It would be difficult to expect anything from a capital city middle class of this type. It timidly supported the demonstrations of October 73, but turned its back on the students in 1976. It timidly supported the early Thaksin social policies, but very soon turned against him, and now expresses itself through noisy support for the monarchy and the Yellows. I should say that in this way the Bangkok bourgeoisie isn’t far from that of Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Jakarta: timid, selfish, uncultured, consumerist, and without any decent vision of the future of the country."

Edited by jayboy