Budget food corners to be arranged at big malls to help people cope with high living cost

Lite Beer

Who weathers the loss?

A substantial portion of 'graprow gai' costs approx 10bht to make using quality chicken (5bht or chicken + 200gm rice).

(200gm of cooked rice, sticky or steamed is sold for 5bht in all my local rice shops)

What loss are you talking about?

and how about the cost of oil, basil, fish sauce, chili, vinegar, sugar, water, styrofoam boxes, plastic bags, cooking gas, cooking utensils, gasoline for the pickup truck, the pickup truck, the food cart, salaries, cost of renting space, cost of unsold food etc. etc.? You've never been in the business obviously.

Most stall owners are happy with 100-200bht profit a day.

Presumably the Junta have done a deal with the malls on the rental.

(My local market charges 20bht/day to stall sellers, a small shopfront ... bedroom, shower, shop, area out front 60bht/day)

10 portions sold and they have made their wage and all costs back.

(How do I know? my gf runs a food stall, 15 customers and she packs up for the day)

How many Thai food stalls have you run?

• Like 2

Food corners arranged Thai version :

Translated in common language; Portions will be made smaller and have even less nutritional value,

Just noticed yesterday at Makro (CP) that the frozen mussel meat which I liked had changed package, but kept the same price.

Still the same Chilean mussel meat at 100 - 200 pieces per kg, written on the label.

Only difference is that now in very small text is written " total weight 900 gram" where it before was 1 kg.smile.png

Looks like CP arranged their freezers also to help people with living bah.gif

You forgot to mention...and a significant drop in quality and hygiene...because the poor don't care...

• Like 1

Costas

I am amazed at your "Inside Knowledge" of this food situation !

Please tell me how you researched this statement ?

"The people that visit big malls can afford to pay the 10 or 20 Baht increase"

After all this is a 25% to 50% increase in what customers are supposedly paying now !

What people seem to forget is the Thai way of life, no housewife striving away in the kitchen all day but back in the villages food being cooked and shared/swapped around friends neighbours and extended families, in the towns and cities food vendors wandering up the sois selling cooked meals and fruits, the lean too roadside food stalls selling the likes of chicken fried rice, a plastic bag of soup and a bottle of water all for 20B.

What many posters seem to forget is the way of life when their fore-bearers went off hunting in a big groups and if they were lucky there would be a big party and feast that night else they went hungry.

• Like 2

"He said the scheme will kick off within February 17 and will run until June."

and after 4 month everyone will be out of poverty and prices dropping?

After 4 months the prices will go back up and the poor starve.

Edited by Keesters

I don't understand , I already pay 30 baht for my noodle soup , most Thais that eat locally pay the same.

But inside the malls I'm looking forward to save 10 baht .

Edited by balo

"Lets go and look at the people eating in the poor corner"

It's a silly idea and as mentioned before these dishes are readily available at 35 baht or less.

..................""Lets go and look at the people eating in the poor corner"...........................

And they will say "What's that crazy farang doing eating with those poor people" ?.......................as I enjoy my bowl of noodles. clap2.gif

Hang on, the P.M did this already last year, about 6 months ago as a gift to the people to install happiness. Did he take it back off them and now trying to say here is a new gift? Are the people really that stupid?

I have never seen poor people, Issan people in a shopping mall. They build them but aren't allowed in them.

That's weird !

The many people I see in BigC in Surin every time I go there must be rich hi-so types disguised as poor rice farmers ! Who would have guessed ?

Perhaps they thought they could get a discount if they looked "needy". whistling.gif

• Like 1

Who weathers the loss?

A substantial portion of 'graprow gai' costs approx 10bht to make using quality chicken (5bht or chicken + 200gm rice).

(200gm of cooked rice, sticky or steamed is sold for 5bht in all my local rice shops)

and how about the cost of oil, basil, fish sauce, chili, vinegar, sugar, water, styrofoam boxes, plastic bags, cooking gas, cooking utensils, gasoline for the pickup truck, the pickup truck, the food cart, salaries, cost of renting space, cost of unsold food etc. etc.? You've never been in the business obviously.

Presumably the Junta have done a deal with the malls on the rental.

(My local market charges 20bht/day to stall sellers, a small shopfront ... bedroom, shower, shop, area out front 60bht/day)

10 portions sold and they have made their wage and all costs back.

(How do I know? my gf runs a food stall, 15 customers and she packs up for the day)

How many Thai food stalls have you run?

Are you for real?

Happy to make 100 Baht profit for a long days work

"Lets go and look at the people eating in the poor corner"

It's a silly idea and as mentioned before these dishes are readily available at 35 baht or less.

..................""Lets go and look at the people eating in the poor corner"...........................

And they will say "What's that crazy farang doing eating with those poor people" ?.......................as I enjoy my bowl of noodles. clap2.gif

Every seat not occupied by the worst of the niggardly farang will be held by one who has left his brolly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go back a year or so ago in the news here, you'll find exactly the same kind of report from the government saying the same kind of thing at that point in time.

After that prior report, I went around to some of the local mall food courts around my home in BKK, and was lucky if any of those food courts were selling the basic Thai dishes for anything less than 50 baht.

Again, just to be clear, this is in the food courts at places like Tesco and Big C -- not the small stands out on the curbs and sidewalks.

Who weathers the loss?

Its got little to do with making. Rent, light, electricity, gas all add up.

The thing is priced at 30 to 40 baht and you have raw materials of 20 already. How much profit would you like a person making 300 bowls of this stuff a day? 3 baht a plate? 2 baht?

Because if they start selling this stuff at 25 baht in a mall they are definitely making a loss, so who shoulders it?

7 or 8 baht a day is not killing anyone. Not getting paid 300 baht definitely is.

Just look at the parkinglots at the bigc's and tesco's. Thai can afford a 40- 50 baht lunch. Or can't they pay for their cars?

Keeps on being a mistery for me. Have a look at the colonel's.

prices of local markets were riased to the level of tesco or bigc when they arrived in town.

Exactly

The parking lots at the malls and tesco's etc are full of 1,000,000+ baht vehicles

the only 'poor' at these places will be the mall employees

they will be the ones eating at the 'poor' corner food stall together with the pensioner falangs..

• Like 2

Food corners arranged Thai version :

Translated in common language; Portions will be made smaller and have even less nutritional value,

Just noticed yesterday at Makro (CP) that the frozen mussel meat which I liked had changed package, but kept the same price.

Still the same Chilean mussel meat at 100 - 200 pieces per kg, written on the label.

Only difference is that now in very small text is written " total weight 900 gram" where it before was 1 kg.smile.png

Looks like CP arranged their freezers also to help people with living bah.gif

This is was Aldi makes the last years in germany smaller packings for example 500gr. to 400 gr. in 1 time, but the same price, this is a simple increase of 25%.

These Bandits advertise we did'nt increased any prices to last 3 years. The Wiener Sausages are now close to size of Nürnberger Sausages.

This behaviour makes me very angry and produce in top more rubbish, but I don't hearing any complaiments around me, caused of this, they will just continue.

Good for Europeans, they need it with this rate of the Euro.

not all eurpeans countries use euro, only few countries use euro smile.png but yes bad for euro pepole haha

We will speak us at the latest end of june after the big avalange of bankruptsies in LOS and the Colonies. wink.png

Who weathers the loss?

The article says that food prices have come down but the vendors have not reduced prices. I guess there is no logy to weather. Besides, as has been mentioned, all the food courts I go to already have dishes in the range of 30-40 baht.

I think they should crack down on the prices of club sandwiches in 5 star hotels. Foodstuffs have come down but the vendors stubbornly refuse to reduce prices.

Maybe they should reduce rents for noodle stands paid to police?

You hit the nail on the head. thumbsup.gif

last time I choose a fried rice with pork,

I thought the seller missunderstood me, as i could not find the pork,

somehow on the bottom I found at least 4 pcs, 1mg at least per peace !!

where is a regulation, how much meat must be in such a meal ??

Pork meat is unhealthy, maybe they is a new policy in LOS to use less pork meat to reduce the health costs.

I think this is now a random test to reduce the pork meat, if almost nobody complain, then they will remove it probably complete.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Who weathers the loss?

But there is probably no high rent and small tea money involved!!??? whistling.gifgiggle.gif